Shoe Repairer Forum

Does anyone know what the new ERA Fortress cylinder locks are like?

Long story short, I’ve got an older relative who lives in an area where there have been a lot of burglaries recently, they’ve got through the locks rather than broken their way in.

So I have been asked if I can get them some better locks, I had thought of the Ultion but it doesn’t look like I can buy them myself, so I need a solid alternative.

Thanks

Apparently the neighbour knows more than a group of locksmiths 🙄

I went to measure for the locks and was told “the keys with the dots are better”.

So I guess I’m back to Ultion. Is there anywhere where I can buy two keyed alike from or is it a case of I must be a locksmith to buy them?

Apparently the neighbour knows more than a group of locksmiths

I went to measure for the locks and was told “the keys with the dots are better”.

So I guess I’m back to Ultion. Is there anywhere where I can buy two keyed alike from or is it a case of I must be a locksmith to buy them?

Message sent.

for those that think dimple locks are far more secure than conventional keys , i explain that this is a myth and in fact they are more prone to certain attacks , show them the abs impression and snapping tool in action on video , the keyway being so big makes them far more prone to this style of attack than a good cylinder key.

what still amazes me is we have these cylinder standards which have become quite complex to acheive a harder to open cylinder by picking and bypass methods , so done a great job on the cylinder to slow locksmiths down , but ignored many of the most common entries .

ie whats the point of a 3 star cylinder on an externally beaded door ? whats point of a 3 star cylinder on patio doors where spreading is used ? whats point of 3 star cylinder without security handles to prevent other bypas methods ? whats the point of a 3 star cylinder with thumb turn with a nice big letterbox next door to it ?

its great that they have upped the game on cylinders themselves , but these should be equalled by the door standards which is often ignored , its a false sense of security for a home owner to have a 3 star cylinder and be told they are now secure when the truth may be very different.

personally id feel more secure with a 1 star cylinder and a 2 star handle set than just a 3 star cylinder , i bet if all doors had 2 star handle sets and normal cheap euros correctly fitted then handle removal and snapping would not have been such an epidemic. id prefer to see a complete standard than a standard on just 1 component .

Kinetica 3* cylinders are also worth looking at too - https://tradelocks.co.uk/kinetica-double-anti-snap-euro-cylinders.html

They are 3* Kitemarked, Secured by Design and also Sold Secure Diamond Standard.

I'm not sure thats all true? I would like to see the SS312 certificate or advertising using the standard.