Shoe Repairer Forum

There is a large Homebase near me .....had a self serve key cutting kiosk installed couple weeks ago.....advertising keys for £4.98 and will do 3 for 2 .....it is been chucked in a corner of there store amongst all there grass seed etc 😂...don't think to locate it amongst there locks and ironmongery lol..haven't changed anything with us , I found in the past .....only certain employee will know how to help use it when a customer wants to use it ....and would love to be there when someone wants a Yale superior or Ruko key(very poplar around us ) things like that , and can't understand it won't do them.....😂........I really wouldn't let it worry you

You also find most employees at these place's will be kids (students) .....who one minute will be helping someone find the right Rawl Plug to hang that picture.....or advising on what thinners to use to keep those brushes clean .....then "oh while you here , can you cut me 3 of these ? " the young person looks all confused 🤷‍♀️, sorry only my manager can operate the machine and there not in today .....😂 😂.......just rub your hands and wait for the cock ups 😎

This time last year i had a shop about a 300 yards away from me start cutting keys and the truth is I did have sleepless nights over it as they sell everything all cheap rubbish but the best bit of advice I had from a rep was two things 1 put your keys up which I did Yales went from £3.99 to £4.60 Mortice went from starting from £3.99 to £4.99 never had one customer say anything. Yes down the road are cheaper but most of the time they don't work and people who want Keys Cut for £1.99 are not the type of customers I want. My keys sales have if anything gone up as I do offer 3 for a tenner because I have the range up the road with that mykey doing the same .

Number 2 was try not to worry about what they do just make sure what do is better i.e. Look at your shop update if you can keep it clean and tidy.

Hope this helps by no means am I telling anyone what to do it was just advice I listened to and it has worked for me

• 4 weeks later...

You also find most employees at these place's will be kids (students) .....who one minute will be helping someone find the right Rawl Plug to hang that picture.....or advising on what thinners to use to keep those brushes clean .....then "oh while you here , can you cut me 3 of these ? " the young person looks all confused ‍♀, sorry only my manager can operate the machine and there not in today ..... .......just rub your hands and wait for the cock ups

Got a Homebase in the same retail park as we are.  Not seen anything yet.  Asda up the road have one I think but makes no difference to us.