I wonder if someone can help me understand the bitting on these Magnum Keys?

I'm thinking this is a Magnum Superior (5+4)?  The 5 represents the Dimples and the 4 represents the track cuts?

Also, I'm assuming to do this on the Futura I will need the 01J and 02J clamps for the track and the 35J & 36J for the Dimples?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  About time I got the clamps and started doing these I think.

2016-04-11 13.49.42.jpg

3 sets of cuts represented by the A B C codes

There are only 3 depths for each cut

For A+B, the cut with a depth of 1 hardly cuts in, 2 will cut in noticeably and 3 is a deep cut.

The first cut you notice looking from the tip will be for the A code.

The C code represents the winding cut to the side.

Looking from the tip of the key towards the bow the cuts on the left will be ABABABA

The winding cut is worked out by seeing where the position of the cut is, if it's over to the left it will be a 3, if it's the middle it's a 2, if it's over to the right it's a 1.(Edit. Just looked at this again and it’s wrong. The higher the number, the further to the right it should be)

You will have to work out for yourself where the C cut starts and finishes as I'm not 100% confident on that one.

I don't cut these myself, just order them in so I can't help with knowing what jaws to use.

I think the cuts for the key you have shown would be

A2123

B132

C3312

Hope this helps

3 sets of cuts represented by the A B C codes

There are only 3 depths for each cut

For A+B, the cut with a depth of 1 hardly cuts in, 2 will cut in noticeably and 3 is a deep cut.

The first cut you notice looking from the tip will be for the A code.

The C code represents the winding cut to the side.

Looking from the tip of the key towards the bow the cuts on the left will be ABABABA

The winding cut is worked out by seeing where the position of the cut is, if it's over to the left it will be a 3, if it's the middle it's a 2, if it's over to the right it's a 1.

You will have to work out for yourself where the C cut starts and finishes as I'm not 100% confident on that one.

I don't cut these myself, just order them in so I can't help with knowing what jaws to use.

I think the cuts for the key you have shown would be

A2123

B132

C3312

Hope this helps

Thanks for this.  It does help but still need a little direction.  Am I write that you would use two cutting cards, one for the dimples and the next for the track?  If, could you tell me which cards so that I can bring the cards up and compare with the key so I can get a true understanding?

• 2 months later...