Shoe Repairer Forum

dodgy £50 note.

Had three people in today. It's wrong to prejudge people, but you do. Didn't like the look of them. Their selection of product was way too fast ( £5 umbrella on a very very dry week.) Then they presented a Scottish £50 note. The paper did not feel right, but I could not find my counterfeit detection pen. I refused to take it. Of course they started to kick off, I said " I've never seen a scottish £50 , it might be fake, I'm not taking it." When I warned the other traders on the station, the florist said he would have kept it. That doesn't seem feasible when you are out numbered and not even 100% certain it was counterfeit. I'm quite happy to take scottish notes up to £10.

Ive NEVER seen a scottish £50.00. Experience of the currency I handle give me the instinctive feel and eye for a counterfeit. I wouldn't take a Scottish £50.00 unless I new the customer either. Craig if I presented you with a counterfeit rupee of large denomination you'd be hard pressed to make a split second decision on its authenticity simply because you hadn't seen many. Its the same thing.

a fool and his money are soon parted. Wise for the sake of an umbrella sale or the loss of £50 quid.

it probably came from a bank!

the banks pass more counterfeit money than anyone

get online and check what a fifty quid looks like in all denominations

fifty quid notes do feel different than others as they are not used readily everyday

with living in a Union why wouldnt you take scottish money?

by the way there is no such thing as legal tender not even for bank of england notes!

carry on!

Certainly don't have a problem with lower denom Scottish notes. The last Scottish twenty I took was a fake. That means in about 16 years of trade, 33% were forgeries . I did know the customer that time, although I'm fairly certain he was an habitual drug user.

As a side note, I stopped selling tartan insoles, because they always reminded me if my Scottish grandmothers god awful traditional cooking.

Wise for the sake of an umbrella sale or the loss of £50 quid.

These are the two options. I was unhappy with the transaction before I had even seen the note. Probably would have refused even if it was a English £50. ( sorry mate, not enough change in the till at the moment. )

Would only have accepted it for a sale in excess of £30, by someone like Billy Connelly or Frankie Boyle.

You've always got to be careful with £50 notes. A good few years ago I had three eastern European gypsies shuffling into my shop, I instantly though" what scam are they going to try on me,or will it will it be straightforward shpplifting." One picked up shoe polish and presented me with a fifty. " Here we go I thought to myself. " note was good. I gave out £48 .

She said " is this for a baby? "

" no it's for bloody shoes."

" I want a refund!" she gave me a £2 coin, saying I could now give her the £50 back. Over twenty years in retail, I'm not going to fall for that old potato. Very angry words were exchanged, she presented me with first £28, and then finally the full £48 .

I got done like this when I was about 18, running a shop on my own, bunch of lads came in and asked for a tin of polish, paid with a £20 note, then asked if they could have some change which I obliged, then asked to break the change down a bit more before changing his mind and asking to make it up to a £20 note. Nothing seemed suspicious until I noticed when he walked out and past the window he had a £20  note in one hand and a tin of polish in the other!!!

Later heard they had been round town and conned money out of other shops so I was quite lucky to get away with just a tin of polish.

Never figured out he did it but always remembered it and rarely give out change to randoms now!!