Beginners advice

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice/direction on how to add a heel lift (1 leg shorter) to my own shoes. I have no experience as a cobbler/shoe repairer but i work in fine furniture making so I'll back my hand skills in to do a (hopefully) respectable job. Ive had a look on youtube and various other sites for quality tutorials but they're difficult to come by. What I would really like is a "textbook" that can suggest what tools i need, glues..etc.

Thank you and sorry if this topic has been covered on here but couldn't find it.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian I admire your positive attitude towards your DIY shoe build up but there are so many factors to take into consideration that you will not get a textbook answer  

There are a few forum members who will go into a long winded scenario for way you cant do it yourself but my best advise is to find and talk to a half decent shoe repairer

Good Luck

Hi,

The shoe I would like to start with is the Scarpa  Crux "approach" shoe. It has an Outersole from Vibram called the vertical approach, I tried finding the code of the sole on the Vibram catalogue but it wasn't in there. Im not sure if its made specifically for Scarpa. I couldn't find what the exact type of rubber it is.

The midsole is duel-density EVA, this doesn't mean anything to or whether its relevant. 

I need to lift the heel 8mm.

For this particular shoe my burning question, is what glue should I use? 

do I need a perfect flat surface to attach the heel? (there are groves in the current heel tread). I would prefer to us a gap-filling glue if such a thing exists.

Thanks you all for taking the time to reply to my post.

Regards,

Adrian

Below is a link to the Scarpa website.

https://www.scarpa.com/crux-15

I disagree 8mm is a lift big enough to cause damage further down the line.

i would be asking who gave you this measurement(do you have a prescription from your doctor with the precise correction)

on the type of boot you are showing  the 8mm raise would be added to the eva layer

you would not be clumping a heel onto the bottom of this shoe(although i know some who would do this for you)

carry on!

I have to agree with Argy and hibsjo.. If you don't have a prescription don't mess with it. You can put a tapered lift in the shoe. You can't find that sole on vibram because you have to have a manufacturing account to see it. There also is an architecture you have to follow that can be described without knowledge. If you really want a lift under sole take it to a half decent cobbler and don't do more damage.

Just my 2 cents or pence.

I only carry out lifting with a prescription. Many customers when asked for this will say it's ok it's about this much by showing me with a gap between their fingers.. Which invariably wavers between 4 and 10 mm. When told that's not ok they without fail tell me the last cobbler did. You can imagine my reply.