Shoe Repairer Forum

What is the right thread to repair a shoe's sole?

Hello.

What is the right thread(size and type) to hand stitch the sole to the shoes.

A long the area as it shows on you-tube:

I browse in the net and saw that i can use nylon or polyester thread.

I saw,also,that there are 1 mm thread which sold in the net as thread for repairing shoes

and they are waxed thread.

Do i need 1 mm thread for that job?what is the standard size(the minimum size)for that job?

Do i have to use a waxed thread or can i manage without it?

Thanks in advance.

Nylon and polyester are stronger than natural threads made from cotton. Generally polyester and nylon threads are not waxed. Waxing acts as both a water repellent, preservative and lubricant when stitching.

Both will probably rub and break if its along an edge as shown in the video link.

Thread is measured in grams and thread rate (how many smaller threads are woven together)

As this is a trade forum rather than a general retail one I buy a large spoil at a time so don't really know what you'd need in terms of buying. Pop into your local repairers they'd probably sell you what you need.

Thanks,Lee,for your response,but you have not answered my question.

And what is the purpose of that forum if i can't get an answer for a basic shoes repair question?

In the same manner i could ask a mechanic question in a car forum and the member will say to me"go to the garage they will help you"

My question is a general question refer to sole repair.

Do i have to use a waxed thread or can i manage without it in that job?

Do i need 1 mm thread for that job?what is the standard size(the minimum size)for that job?

I know that the size is in gram,ticket etc.but the diameter of the thread sometimes is shown.

Those question are base repair shoes question and i am asking that since i saw that

there are waxed polyester and nylon threads and there are without it.

I am not asking what i need to buy,i am asking what thread is generaly used for that purpose and why?(waxed or not waxed,1mm

thread?maybe i can use thinner one?what is the minimum)

Both question sounds as the same,but the question,the way of my question,is definitely,suitable for that forum.

Can someone help me here?

Thanks in advance.

Different styles of shoes and even different parts of the same shoe will need different threads.

Post a picture of your shoe and you may get more accurate advise.

If you are expecting to achieve the results shown in the video, then I won't matter what thread you use. Your shoes will still look awful.

This kind of repair, if I was to use an example like yours, would be to take your car to a garage for a new wing mirror, for them to replace it with a bathroom cabinet.

It may work, but it's not the right way to do it and it looks absolutely awful.

Lee didn't tell you to go to your local repairer for advice, he suggested it would be the best place to go to get the correct thread to do the job.

We don't all have 10 minutes to spare to watch a video showing how to do something that many of us do every day.

If I were you, on the assumption that you don't have a local repairer you can go & talk to, I'd search for 2mm waxed cotton thread, or 1.5mm nylon or polyester.

Good luck.

Different styles of shoes and even different parts of the same shoe will need different threads.

Post a picture of your shoe and you may get more accurate advise.

If you are expecting to achieve the results shown in the video, then I won't matter what thread you use. Your shoes will still look awful.

This kind of repair, if I was to use an example like yours, would be to take your car to a garage for a new wing mirror, for them to replace it with a bathroom cabinet.

It may work, but it's not the right way to do it and it looks absolutely awful.

:smt033

Rick.

Thanks to all the replies.

I took that video since i didn't find  the right photo that will demonstrate exactly what i was trying to ask.

There is no need to watch all the video,only to see where is the place that the stitching are done(skipping all the unrelevant

parts)

I don't know if it looks the best and how much it will stand,but as you can see it was glue first and then stitched.

I have several local shoes repair,but they don't sell threads and they don't have any interest to provide details

and i don't need to mention why...

So,from your answer 1.5 mm thread(nylon/polyester)is the standard size for that job?

You said that cotton(i know that also linen)usually waxed since they less strong that polyester and nylon,

while as i understand from your answer,if i use for that job polyester/nylon,it doesn't have to be waxed.

but why when i am searching for a thread for shoes in the net,i always see in my search

"WAXED NYLON/POLYESTER THREAD FOR SHOES REPAIR..."?

Nylon/polyester thread don't need that,do they?

I think i read somewhere(not sure) that the waxed ,other than make natural thread stronger,water repellent,

preservative,and lubricant when stitching. It bonds the stitches in that way that if one stitch is unravelled,

the other stitches don't influence from it and stay bonded

Maybe this is the reason for waxing the nylon/polyester thread?

Is it true?or maybe it is related to the sewing method and not to the wax?

So,from your answer 1.5 mm thread(nylon/polyester)is the standard size for that job?

There is no standard size for that job. A proper job would be to bond with the appropriate adhesive.

If you wish to stitch it afterwards you can use any size of thread, waxed/unwaxed etc. but all it will do is make unnecessary holes.

If it was bonded properly it won't need stitching!!!

OK.

What about my question about the waxed thread:

I think i read somewhere(not sure) that the waxed ,other than make natural thread stronger,water repellent,

preservative,and lubricant when stitching. It bonds the stitches in that way that if one stitch is unravelled,

the other stitches don't influence from it and stay bonded

Maybe this is the reason for waxing the nylon/polyester thread?

Is it true?or maybe it is related to the sewing method and not to the wax?

Is it true?

Please tell me xchcui that you are having a wind up. We all on this forum have spent years learning the trade and solutions to problems like the one shown in the video.

Waxing will make the stitches bite against each other and reduce the problem of adjacent stitches from unraveling. However, this does not work with chain stitching! The rest of your questions have been answered above.

Good luck

Please tell me xchcui that you are having a wind up. We all on this forum have spent years learning the trade and solutions to problems like the one shown in the video.

Waxing will make the stitches bite against each other and reduce the problem of adjacent stitches from unraveling. However, this does not work with chain stitching! The rest of your questions have been answered above.

Good luck

Thank you very much for your answer.

It turns out that the wax,also,reduce problem of adjacent from unraveling,indeed.

But i understand,from your answer,that it doesn't work on the video example,since it is a chain stitching.

Thanks,again,to everyone for your help. :smt023

Since i come into conclusion that the best way is to bond it

and not to stitch it as you all suggested,the question is what is the proper adhesive?

What kind of glue is it recommended for that purpose?

The outsole of the running shoe is made(as the manufacturer said)from blown rubber.

I know that the standard contact glue is neoprene glue for general purpose,is it suitable for that?

There are different types of neoprane adhesive,but i didn't see that it is marked as for blown rubber.

I saw a professional polyurethane adhesive for shoes industry that bonds:pvc,pv,tpv,tr,pu,chlorinated rubber soles,

but it says that it should bond with pressure at 70°C-80°C.

What adhesive should i use?

I would strongly recommend using the correct adhesive for the materials to be bonded, otherwise you will compromise the integrity of the adhesive bond.

Hope this helps.

OK.This is what i am trying to figure out.

What is the recommended adhesive for bonding blown rubber sole?neoprene glue,polyurethane glue...?

OK.This is what i am trying to figure out.

What is the recommended adhesive for bonding blown rubber sole?neoprene glue,polyurethane glue...?

Stage 1, Choose the correct adhesive. (The equipment you use will help to decide which is the best for you) If in doubt use a polyurathane.

Stage 2 Thoroughly clean the surfaces to be bonded.(The equipment you use will help you decide which is the best cleaner for you to use) Asking which is best is like asking which is the best topping on a pizza.

Stage 3. Follow the adhesive manufacturers instructions carefully.( Some adhesives require a primer before use and are notoriously difficult to use

Stage 4 Use any thread you can get (If you have followed stages 1-4 it may do more harm than good)

Best of luck to you, I hope it turns out o.k. for you.