Shoe Repairer Forum

Good try guys..

I'm heading to Norway in March fishing, I normally go in May or August but part of the deal with my mate out there is catching his supply of stockfish for the year...

This is cod which is split with the back bone cut out then hung out to dry under the pier for 6 months, it's horrible stinking stuff and i think it's disgusting but the northern Norwegians eat it like beef jerky...

I've watched them hacking the backbones out with a standard knife and they bust knives all the time with hitting them with a hammer so the old chopper should be the way to go...

I'll try find a link...

• 3 months later...

My dad used to use one,(I am 64 now) but I never liked the the finish. The butted joint always left a gap. I always prefer a skived joint. I remember that we used to be able to buy sacks of skivings from leather soles from the wholesalers to rebuild leather block heels.

Another old cobbler banging on about the good old days. 

but I never liked the the finish. The butted joint always left a gap.

I prefer the butted method, much more professional.

Chop out at a 30 degree angle towards the waist, profile the edge of build-up piece to same angle.

Bond and tap into place, secure with two or three nails that are driven in at an angle to keep the joint tight.

Try it and you will like it!

I prefer the butted method, much more professional.

Chop out at a 30 degree angle towards the waist, profile the edge of build-up piece to same angle.

Bond and tap into place, secure with two or three nails that are driven in at an angle to keep the joint tight.

Try it and you will like it!

Isn't that technically a scarf or chamfered joint?  :-k

To 'butt' something normally means to apply edge-on, or so I thought?

Rick.