Shoe Repairer Forum

April 2013 - Would you employee an exconvict?

Do you? or would you knowingly employ an exconvict?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Employed a alcoholic. Told me he'd been dry for 6 months so gave him a chance (didn't have to tell me).

Worked for me for a 2 months seemed ok so I took a week off.

Gave me £400 & told me he'd only been open 2 days throught illness.

Asking around, found out he'd been opening till lunch then going to the pub with my money.

Yes he was a repairer and probably still is, if not dead.

Knew where he trained & worked previous but not seen him in 9 years..

Never Again

when i worked for a large multiple we took a bloke on a scheme from the ymca he had 9 kids and we later found out he was an alcoholic you should have seen the state of a hand engraved dog disc being the soft touch i am igot him a full time job at another branch the cash tin went missing .and he got so pissed up before a bank holiday tha he couldnt open on the monday guess who was passing and found his shop shut well he wernt happy so he sacked him staff you can trust are a very hard thing to find thats why i prefer to work on my own

A friend/acquaintance of mine was convicted (8 years) and for part of the 4 years he served, he was on 24 hours suicide watch in Belmarsh.

A nice fella that had lost his way partly due to his Mrs doing a proper job on him.

He gave her a couple of slaps, slung her out onto the street, barricaded himself in his house and carved himself up.

Unfortunatly the rumours are that he stabed his wife 12 times. Because of this, he finds it extremly difficult to get any work locally.

I've employed him in the past ( a bit of building work and painting) and would in the future.

A friend/acquaintance of mine was convicted (8 years) and for part of the 4 years he served, he was on 24 hours suicide watch in Belmarsh.

A nice fella that had lost his way partly due to his Mrs doing a proper job on him.

He gave her a couple of slaps, slung her out onto the street, barricaded himself in his house and carved himself up.

Unfortunatly the rumours are that he stabed his wife 12 times. Because of this, he finds it extremly difficult to get any work locally.

I've employed him in the past ( a bit of building work and painting) and would in the future.

Very Comendable Ponsy! =D> =D> =D>

Looking at the poll, 16 to 12 says that they would consider employing ex-offenders. My faith in Human kind has been restored :-)

Not the landslide 'against' that many would have expected :shock:

So maybe there isn't such a lack of respect like you said in the other post after just one person had commented. :wink: :-k

Looking at the poll, 16 to 12 says that they would consider employing ex-offenders. My faith in Human kind has been restored :-)

So maybe there isn't such a lack of respect like you said in the other post after just one person had commented. :wink: :-k

Exactly, which is pleasing :-)

Not sure of the relevance of an 'Alcholic' post as the poll is about ex-offenders :?

Sorry Keith.

Just making the point that not all criminals have a criminal record. Forgot to add that at the time.

This one was crb checked in a care home whilst working for me and came back clean.

After my encounter he disapeared. Seen once in a town 13 miles away by a friend.

I now also work by myself. Wife (sometimes) cleans shop. Son helps on contract work.

Once bitten and all that

• 2 weeks later...

But also look at how the poll is phrased.... put like that ("Depends on the person and the crime"), and even a bigot like me has to think twice!

mmm.... e.g. my nephew who has criminal record for ABH after a drunken fight outside a pub on his 18th birthday is a very different prospect from someone previously unknown to me who has been to prison for a significantly more serious crime.

.....I suppose this is why there is so much argument and debate (lasting months/years) over the phrasing of questions like 'should the jocks get independance', before they even get the chance to vote.... ask the same question, two different ways, to one person..... and you will probabaly get at least three different answers!

....on the other hand; maybe there are also a lot of forgiving people in this world :?: ....we used to call them repeat victims in my previous job. :)

Definately depends on several factors ie:

how many crimes commited

when was last crime commited

what types of crime commited

An interesting point was made about "criminals and convicted criminals" i would say that we have all commited criminal acts in our past, but have gone unpunished. unless your are super inhuman most fall into this catagory. Just look at our 3 main corrupt establishments - the police, poloticions and councils,

On paper they are the most honest in society :lol:

On a final note. How many people have done cash jobs not going through the books? This offence could put you in the convict category. :shock: