Shoe Repairer Forum

have to agree with rick and gray here lee ,its not always possable to stick to the timing , but the main thing you have to remember is that nearly all modern day glues have the same selling or marketing point and that is qoute " can be left for 24 t0 48 hours and be heat reactivated "

each to their own really .

:smt120 :smt120 :smt120 :smt120 :smt120 :smt120

There is a right & a wrong way of doing it, you is all doing it wrong..........

:smt110

Scenario Lee...........You get a pair of leather soles in.....Strip,scour, and apply adhesive.....Oh no! someone comes in for an engraving job urgent...You miss the contact time.......It's dried.........Whatever will you do?

Answer the goddamn question..... :lol: :lol:

I haven't used 5050 or 6092 since the early '90s.

Old fashioned adhesives. get with the times fellas.

If something sticks like s*** to a blanket in the 90's, it'll still stick like s*** to a blanket on the same materials 20 years later...why fix summat that aint broken?

Scenario Lee...........You get a pair of leather soles in.....Strip,scour, and apply adhesive.....Oh no! someone comes in for an engraving job urgent...You miss the contact time.......It's dried.........Whatever will you do?

Answer the goddamn question..... :lol: :lol:

Tell the people with the engraving job it will be 30 seconds longer as I have to put these leather soles together before the glue loses its perfect bonding moment. :buff:

Heels don't come with fitting instructions either, but I know how to fit them.

Lee

If something sticks like s*** to a blanket in the 90's, it'll still stick like s*** to a blanket on the same materials 20 years later...

Using that logic we'd all still be driving around in Model T Fords because 'it was good enough back then...', no cancel that, we'd all be riding horses to work. :lol:

why fix summat that aint broken?

Because it means I only need 1 glue pot on my counter & a tiny pot of primer on the shelf. Also there are a variety of materials that I stick now that weren't around, (or perhaps just weren't commonplace) back in the '90s. All these are stuck using the same single type of adhesive.

Oh, and it smells much nicer :)

If something sticks like s*** to a blanket in the 90's, it'll still stick like s*** to a blanket on the same materials 20 years later...

Using that logic we'd all still be driving around in Model T Fords because 'it was good enough back then...', no cancel that, we'd all be riding horses to work. :lol:

That's a ridiculous analogy :lol:

Also, how much time do you waste priming materials, when there are specific glues that require no primer, just for the sake of saving a few square centimetres of counter space!

The plot thickens....lol.

Because it means I only need 1 glue pot on my counter & a tiny pot of primer on the shelf. Also there are a variety of materials that I stick now that weren't around, (or perhaps just weren't commonplace) back in the '90s. All these are stuck using the same single type of adhesive.

Oh, and it smells much nicer :)

Ah, thats why it takes you 5 days to do a pair of leather soles. :)

the method should always be the same with 6092, if its dry enough to need heating you've gone past the best point when the evaporation of its properties is at its strongest. brush on, leave only a few minutes to go tacky (it is after all a contact adhesive, not a heat activated one) place work together..

there should be NO other method with 6092!

Lee

What a crock of shit.. when your multi tasking in a busy shop you can't always time it to stick contact adhesives at the tackiest time, thats why we have heat cabinettes that are made to re=activate any glue, it works and there is nothing wrong with the practice.

Infact some moulded soles are better warmed as they are more supple to follow moulded contours.

shut it Lee