Shoe Repairer Forum

Help with AF3 cutter grinder

Hi all,

I have purchased a second hand cutter grinder Gravograph AF3 and before I convert my cutters Into paint can lid openers I wondered If anyone could help point me In the right direction to obtain an operators manual? or if anyone could give me some basic training on It If I brought the machine with me I am happy to travel 100 miles + In any direction.

Thanks.

Colin

Hi all,

I have purchased a second hand cutter grinder Gravograph AF3 and before I convert my cutters Into paint can lid openers I wondered If anyone could help point me In the right direction to obtain an operators manual? or if anyone could give me some basic training on It If I brought the machine with me I am happy to travel 100 miles + In any direction.

Thanks.

Colin

Found this link http://www.engravingetc.org/archive/ind ... sg=1263.21 Its not a manual as such but they seem to be talking about the same thing.

Thanks for that Gray,

Not sure how I missed that I have spent a couple of hours searching for links. & missed It altogether. It's a great start It seems The guy In my position finaly got his head round It through a series of photos which are no longer available on that forum never the less It's a great start. The chap I got It off told me It's easy & I am sure It will be one day. I Just need a bit of a kick start.

Thanks once again.

colin.

i did post on cutters before but i canny find it now

below is an image of what a good cutter should look like if you rolled it round

note the middle cutter image and the angle of the tip and i would take a little extra off the trailing edge (right hand image, more off the left side)

if you pay attantion to how all the angles look you should be fine

Graphic1.jpg

some things are a lot easier to show than explain

it's a shame i no longer have a grinder as i would have done a video

but i'll try anyway

stick your cutter in and tighten it up, set the angle to 45 degrees and tighten up

there should be a knob that winds the cutter away to the right to clear the grinding wheel..do this

there should also be a knob that stops how far foward you can push the cutter, push cutter forward and twiddle back or forth until the cutter stops in line with wheel

i dont know this model but there may be something that stops how far you can rotate the cutter when sharpening

if you twist the cutter too far to the left when sharpening you will take the cutting edge away

ermm ....imagine the flat part of the cutter is sitting horizontal when in the jig, you have to rotate slightly to the right to get your perfect angle

then wind the cutter left into the spinning wheel slowly so it just touches, rotate to take a bit off then wind in again and repeat until you get a fine point

as for the tip, take cutter out of holder and hold flat side up, and position square on to the wheel

when you are holding in this position tilt your hand ever so slightly right so the point of the cutter is higher than the back of it

then rotate ever so slightly so the point comes closer to you

thats the angle to apply your tip

hope thats kinda clear

it's frustrating trying to explain something i've probably done tens of thousands of times

WOW thanks for all that. I now feel ready to at least have a play .I will let you know how It goes.

I called at Colin Archers (CA Servicing) to have a machine serviced before I bought the grinder & he sharpened some cutters for me I Intended to watch him do them but they were finished In a cople of seconds.

Thanks once again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have been keeping an eye on this thread. I am trying to get this machine working again, do any of you guys have old ones that I can pinch for spares, a long shot I know.

If it helps I have a manual for this machine as well.

I assume you have tried Gravograph for spares?

My only other suggestion would be to try to get the parts repaired or even made I have a mate down south that has made bits for me his charges are very reasonable if you can give details (drawing, photo etc) I can try to get an Idea of price for you.

Where you located In scotland?

[attachment=0]machine1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]machine2.jpg[/attachment]

Have been keeping an eye on this thread. I am trying to get this machine working again, do any of you guys have old ones that I can pinch for spares, a long shot I know.

Cokes from you're post it looks like you are having trouble getting parts. Assuming you have tried Gravograph and they won't help it looks to me like their backup is crap or they have the bits and you're just too tight to splash the cash. What is it son?.............. :) :)

[attachment=0]machine1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]machine2.jpg[/attachment]

Cokes from you're post it looks like you are having trouble getting parts. Assuming you have tried Gravograph and they won't help it looks to me like their backup is crap or they have the bits and you're just too tight to splash the cash. What is it son?.............. :) :)

Have been trying for a number of years to get this machine back to its former glory. Recently managed to get a new collet to do IS400 cutters (previously had a 1/4" chuck for my larger CS4824 engraver). I had a Gravograph chappie up installing my new laser and I picked his brains , he tells me there is a part missing, its a steadying arm for the cutter at the pointed end. I do not have any idea what it looks like. Was hoping someone would spot the missing part from the photos.

Tight always, total virgin, none shall pass the rusty bullet hole!!!

I assume you have tried Gravograph for spares?

My only other suggestion would be to try to get the parts repaired or even made I have a mate down south that has made bits for me his charges are very reasonable if you can give details (drawing, photo etc) I can try to get an Idea of price for you.

Where you located In scotland?

Yes tried Gravo but they work on numbers, no number no part. If I knew what it looked like it would be nice to get it made.

I live in the North of Scotland between Aberdeen and Inverness on the Moray Firth.

Apologies for hijacking your thread by the way, but we have a joint interest.

Yes tried Gravo but they work on numbers, no number no part. If I knew what it looked like it would be nice to get it made.

I live in the North of Scotland between Aberdeen and Inverness on the Moray Firth.

Apologies for hijacking your thread by the way, but we have a joint interest.

Ok,

I think I can see the part you are missing Is there a hole with nothing In It next to the chuck pointing In same direction as the cutter would point? If I am right It Is quite a simple part & Is just for lining up the cutter (I think) It would take no strain let me know & I will send photos/measurements If you can wait a while I can probably send you a perspex or similar mock up that would probably even work If used with care. (All assuming that It Is that part?) Let me know.

Forget the last bit I just remembered you have a Laser I will send you a file to make your own all you will need to do Is Insert a 6mil x 75mil round bar Into the hole made by your Laser what format do you need?.

Not going to Tropex are you?

• 4 months later...