Shoe Repairer Forum

Electrical mains test

was told to get one of these done(legally needs to be done every 5 years)

so i got my local electrician out £90 and it was done(its a twat of a job, has to check all plugs and everything needs to be turned off)

insurance renewal come through the door yesterday, guess what? they need to see my certificate of electrical compliance ie hard wire test and pats test!!!!!!!

get them done or you aint insured.

they also wanted BS 5 lever locks on MY door lol

carry on!

Oh I remember those days - Insurance assessor telling me I had to have a BS 5 lever lock on my Ali shop door - I drove the van from the yard to the front opened it and said 'There are all the tools you need - now show me how to fit a 5 lever lock to an Ali shop door......'

But every year they think of a way to screw you - Electrical and PAT testing is the latest.

Soon it will be fire extinguisher testing

then alarm contracts

then a cash safe when more than £50 is in the till

Seems to me that if they can not pay a claim (any excuse) they wont!

we tried to do this test after a company insisted we do one, and the electrical company came to do the testy and insisted we 'take out' all our counters and all the machinery so they could get to it alll in a health and safety way!

Had people ring me about PAT testing. So I asked them, What do they class as a portable device. Key machines & a shoe repairing machine don't go anywhere. I have 2 cordless drill and a cordless angle grinder for on site and do not require PAT testing. Key machines are only used by me as is the power unit which is stripped down every christmas. The only, truely portable device is my hoover. By this time they've usually put the phone down.

Beware

Anyrhing with a plug is 'portable' and no matter if you move it or not it is still testable as are the charges for your drill and other portable equipment

That they are only used by you is also no excuse - you are connected to the public network and therefore liable

How do I know? I have a testerrs certificate

Hard wire test is from the fuseboard around all your circuits and back - I have a colleague who is over-run with this sort of work in factories and offices

So I asked them, What do they class as a portable device.

I'm no expert, but was led to believe that if it has a plug that goes into a socket on the wall it is classed as portable & requires testing, whereas if it is wired direct it doesn't.

Anybody know better?

well you could buy the tester and do it yourself but in the event of an accident your would also be liable - Thats why I did a two day course but the testers are a few bob and you could pay someone to do it and save a few quid- only very heavy stuff needs doing every years like washing machines the rest can be 2 or 3 years depending on age.

And yes if you have fused spurs that would negate the need for a test - but you need an electrician to put in the fused spur and issue you a certificate of compliance along with your mains being tested

yes - as long as I can secure the work area rope off a safety zone - have someone at the foor of the ladder in hi viz and hard hat

and I have the CSCS certificate

I have a certificate of competence in angle grinders - don't have the chain saw one anymore

I have insurance for all the types of work I do

and I can change your light bulb except that's now illegal you must be using low power lamps.

Next?

Are you trained in the use of a ladder?

How can you ask an ex fireman if he was trained in the use of a ladder??

I was trained............still fell off one and bust my leg .... :(. ....Wasn't my fault though...Mr Carlsbergs fault

Are these tests actual "legal requirements" or just jobs for the boys. Because a couple of years back I sent a couple of chaps away with tails between legs who were trying to do Pats tests and heard nothing since. Renewed my shop insurance 2 months ago ....no mention of PATS...... :smt102 :smt102