Shoe Repairer Forum

October 2010 - Time to have your say

most know what is on offer

we get offer sheets once a month (whan sheet is enough) blatant advertising there sorry :D

to see them up in lights dont know if sponsors would pay more for this already existing application.

we get emails every month

i think everyone in the know knows whats available!

dont really want to see the site being plagued with ads

just my thoughts

carry on!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must say, some of you don't seem to have a clue.. this forum is no longer a few blokes talking about shoe repairing, it's a full time commitment, and one that has greatly surpassed Lees expectations. and has probably effect his personal and and worklife massivley.

We all like being paid for the work we do, so to me it aint just about covering costs, it's about making a few quid as well, ALL successful sites/forums advertise or put things in place to bring in some revenue.

Whats wrong with a few adverts down the right hand side of the forum ?? It might create some better deals for members.

I must say, some of you don't seem to have a clue.. this forum is no longer a few blokes talking about shoe repairing, it's a full time commitment, and one that has greatly surpassed Lees expectations. and has probably effect his personal and and worklife massivley.

We all like being paid for the work we do, so to me it aint just about covering costs, it's about making a few quid as well, ALL successful sites/forums advertise or put things in place to bring in some revenue.

Whats wrong with a few adverts down the right hand side of the forum ?? It might create some better deals for members.

could this then not lead to similar problems of the general public knowing what we would pay for our stock,similar to getting your keys from keysnstraps?i do agree that Lee deserves to be earning from running the site as he does a great job

putting them in the trade only section?

Now the site is well up & running with sponsors etc. and has god knows how many members.

Why not make the hole site member only and just have a cover page.

That way you can put, What you want on it, Plus all the trade can advertise if they wish. creating more revenue.

just a thought, if we want to generate income for the site then we have in my opinion a couple of choices do we have advertising or do we all pay a small annual fee for the use of this excellent forum ( or part thereof).

IMHO Iwould prefer to pay rather than be bombarded with adverts. Very few members of the public would pay an annual subscription to access a site that they would not use very often.

Why not come up with a few options as to the way we go and have that has our monthly poll.

"the workman is worthy of his hire" Lee deserves payment

just a thought, if we want to generate income for the site then we have in my opinion a couple of choices do we have advertising or do we all pay a small annual fee for the use of this excellent forum ( or part thereof).

IMHO Iwould prefer to pay rather than be bombarded with adverts. Very few members of the public would pay an annual subscription to access a site that they would not use very often.

Why not come up with a few options as to the way we go and have that has our monthly poll.

"the workman is worthy of his hire" Lee deserves payment

I like this idea, sponsor or pay, cool with me :D Less adverts =D>

then you restrict the general public from possibly trying to find a shoe repairer/key cutter or any of the other services we offer near to them,or they may be possibly looking for a particular item that they are unable to find

Ok then let the general public have an Q&A page and restrict the rest. Half of the time the general public are probably reading our posts to find out how to do it for themselves and not who can do it for them.

i post on several forums and NONE of them have adverts!

one of them doesnt even have sponsors links!

its because of the independance of this forum it has been a success.

if it were affiliated to somsr/msa it wouldnt work

or run by Mr.T nobody would be on it

yes i can see UKs point about making a little but as Peter says its not about the money

i for one would gladly pay a subscription(kick the msa one into touch) as long as i get a receipt lee :wink:

carry on!

This is true. But don't you think it would be nice to encourage some small trade suppliers to let us all know who they are and what they sell. Even if they just gave money to charity ( plus some admin of course).

Sponsors are good. But it's like a supermarket. what happens to the little guy?

Some of you guys make me laugh.. Of course it's about the money. It doesn't bother you guys cus you don't put in the hours behind the scenes that Lee does....

You guys are continually harping on about being busy fools etc, it's the same thing.

you talk about adverts as if they are going to take over the site, it wouldn't effect your reading/posting one jot, talk about drama queens... :-({|=

Could I suggest that the discussion about adverts has run it's course.

Ultimately it's for Lee to decide what approach to take if he decides to go down this route, so it's frankly irrelevant getting into any kind of detail at this stage.

Let's leave the topic for all the rest of people's thoughts & ideas for what to change / improve / introduce.

Over to you all...

Could I suggest that the discussion about adverts has run it's course.

Why, it's a healthy discussion, :?

Ultimately it's for Lee to decide what approach to take if he decides to go down this route, so it's frankly irrelevant getting into any kind of detail at this stage.

Lee is an open minded fella who'll read all the fors and againsts

Let's leave the topic for all the rest of people's thoughts & ideas for what to change / improve / introduce.

Over to you all...

all the rest of the peoples thoughts !! what wrong with these thoughts..... :D

This is true. But don't you think it would be nice to encourage some small trade suppliers to let us all know who they are and what they sell. Even if they just gave money to charity ( plus some admin of course).

Sponsors are good. But it's like a supermarket. what happens to the little guy?

Isn't Lee working on a suppliers Directory? This, I'm sure, will be open to any supplier!

It’s been interesting reading the thoughts on the finances of the site; I thought I’d give a little insight into how it affects me!

First off all this isn’t a gripe type reply, I’m very grateful to all those who sponsor the site, to those who like Martin make donations to its running & the likes of cutting edge who are pleased to be affiliated with the site with the latest sponsorship & soon to appear trade directory all these incomes help with the cost of running the site. I also really appreciate what the Moderators do, they don’t get any financial help what so ever, yet the smooth running of the site could not be keep to the high standard it is without them.

In the 5 ½ years the sites been around it has gone to a platform I couldn’t have imagined,

As you all know I also run a shop which is where I earn MY living! A couple of Saturdays ago, I closed my shop…………. No living, to head to Doncaster to set up the forum stand at the cutting edge exhibition. This coming Tuesday I will be closing my shop for the morning…………….. No living (I only work a half day Tuesday) & heading to Leicestershire for a cutting edge meeting. This will also entail putting my little girl in a nursery during the afternoon because I usually look after her whilst Rhiannon’s at work & the possibility of “he’s always closed” damage.

Today I am reviewing a magazine for someone, have answered a couple of general public emails & will in no doubt get at least 1 or 2 phone calls forum or trade related at some point, every days the same., to the Detriment of my own business at times.

Some might argue I don’t need to give the site this level of commitment, but I passionately believe its this level of involvement that has built the sites reputation & built the strong bonds some of us, as members now find invaluable to progressing our business’ & alternately the trade.

I estimate I spend about 3-4 hours a day working on or for the forum/trade & could easily up this to full time if I did everything I was asked!

To a point, Its not about the money Peter but what it’s costing me is becoming a consideration, as an industry we have more than a site here, we have an association that every ones benefiting from, right from manufacturer to the customer, all run on what is actually very little financial support to the bigger picture.

Lee

Well said Lee =D> I think we are all aware of what your site and you have done for the trade since it's inception. It has risen above the depths of the Somsr/Msa shenannigans of the recent past and created a Forum for the whole trade to enjoy both professionaly and socially.

It is a credit to you, your Mods and our trade, that it even got off the ground, long may it continue. I for one, will offer continued support for this amazing resource, as I have done from the very begining. All who find this place have, and will continue to benefit from it.

Based on that, I will support any decision that you make, that doesn't have a detrimental effect on your living =D> =D>

Keith

Could I make a little 'daft' comment on the chat room?

there has been times I have logged on but no one else has been in), would it be possible to add messenger or similar? that way chats and advice can be done 'during a busy day off and on and make the site more homely?

if this sounds rubbish no worries,

and keep up the good work I feel it is a great site which every year has got better!