Shoe Repairer Forum

Engraving straight glass pint pots

MAW

Anybody got any tricks or tips that they can share, I had a full head of hair until the weekend!

Last week I had an order come in to engrave 144 pint glasses for a local boozer that they are going to give away as promotional items at a fortcoming beer festival. Using the cylinder attachment on IS400 V I have experimented with loads of setting permutations in the software and the engraver to allow for irregularities in the material. I am looking to produce a delicate and consistent finish and the results are hit and miss. The most common problem is that sections of the graphic, which spans 60mm x 60mm, simply get lost, maybe I have failed to get the glass mounted perfectly horizonal, where did I put that small spirit level!

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Regards

Mart

The problem with "hit and miss" glass engraving is the Naff attachment the "feathertouch" I must have 6 of em, and they are all different. In my opinion the design of the head on gravographs machines need re-designing, the feathertouch would work a whole lot better if it were built in, and preferably at the bottom of the collet rather than the top.

Reason IMHO is the feathertouch does not line up exactley with the head of the machine.

Great advice, you live and learn! I have to persist this time and Gravo came to take a butchers today and were a bit foxed themselves. Matter esculated and I await their reply. My best guess now is that the brand new diamond, (supplied by Gravo themselves, of the insert variety) bought especially for this job, was duff. Can't pull any more hair out so started kicking the cat!

This IS400 V is only 3 months old and has a newly designed head. I asked specifically about the need to use a feathertouch for cylindrical glass work before putting my hand deeply into my pocket. The assurance was categoric, with the newly designed and patented head, you don't need a feathertouch. I have since had conflicting views from different Gravo employees...great!

Frustratingly I went up to Bedford to see Mike at Mastergrave and had a demo of the Roland EGX360, I was very impressed but I took other factors into the equation, such as being able to do some industrial marking with Gravos top of the range offering.

Well the ball is currently with Gravo and when I get a response/solution I'll post an update.

Cheers

Mart

glass engraving is an obscure wonder...

you can and will get duff diamonds and 144 tankards will goose a good one up

always order at least two so you have a back up if one is off

X/Y speed is important, i use 8mm mostly, if cutter starts to miss i will slow to 5mm and order some more

and the special glass lubrication of choice is Pledge....... orange flavour

• 4 weeks later...

For best results on either M40G's or IS400 VOL.

Lots of springyness on the spindle. (No 1 setting on the M40G)

Medium speed.

Put O.8MM into the software in the machining page.

Make sure micrometer is on Zero.

Then do an auto Z Ref.

Turn the micrometer to 2 thou ONLY.

Engrave away!!!!

The 0.8mm push into the material will allow for any inconsistance and the springyness will "ride" over the lumps and bumps.

Hi Doubledouble,

Those settings work a treat on the IS400v even on the pub pint glasses. Results are breathtaking. Thank you very much for your advice.

Regards

Mart

For best results on either M40G's or IS400 VOL.

Lots of springyness on the spindle. (No 1 setting on the M40G)

Medium speed.

Put O.8MM into the software in the machining page.

Make sure micrometer is on Zero.

Then do an auto Z Ref.

Turn the micrometer to 2 thou ONLY.

Engrave away!!!!

The 0.8mm push into the material will allow for any inconsistance and the springyness will "ride" over the lumps and bumps.

The setting will work for most, but if your going to engrave 144 pub glass's as your first post suggests, then the settings won't last long, as the diamond with break down very quickly.

I find facet diamonds are very hit and miss, I've had em last 12 months, and then I've had em last two weeks...

Andy seems to do ok with his laser on glass, but you'll never beat sand blasting.

Good luck with em anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
The diamond breaking down quickly isnt the fault of the machine OR the settings. Some faceted diamonds are better than others. Those settings on pint glasses should be fine, no bother.

Thats why I said sandblasting is best on a multiple order like the one in question. :roll:

I agree some Diamonds are better than others, But I can assure you some feather touches are better than others, Got 7 machines on the go, and they don't work as good as each other, and perform differently on different machines.

The settings may well work, but also they may not work on the next glass you engrave. Glass engraving with a faceted diamond is very much a feel as you go process.