Shoe Repairer Forum

1993 price survey

your a liar if you say you've never done it!

Love the stuff too, last did a pair about 5 weeks ago, typically do a hand full a year.

If you look at the price list a leather 1/2 sole & heel costs £19.02 in our 2008 price list its £26.47

In 1993 a Gallon of unleaded cost £2.25 in 2008 its £5.90 thats a rise of 160%, which means our 2008 average price SHOULD! be £49.45, looks like the trades not keeping up with daily living!

Lee

crepe ,, hate the stuff,, cloggs your band up, dont get many these days,, but outprice them, dont want them

Crepe doesn't clogg your band up, infact it cleans it, Get very few nowadays, but wouldn't refuse em.

O' yeah Lee, I've made many a crepe ball, Steve Mcqueen used one of mine in the great escape, when he got put in solitary. :D

• 5 months later...
your a liar if you say you've never done it!

Love the stuff too, last did a pair about 5 weeks ago, typically do a hand full a year.

If you look at the price list a leather 1/2 sole & heel costs £19.02 in our 2008 price list its £26.47

In 1993 a Gallon of unleaded cost £2.25 in 2008 its £5.90 thats a rise of 160%, which means our 2008 average price SHOULD! be £49.45, looks like the trades not keeping up with daily living!

Lee

Lee: I found the 1993 price list very interesting compaired with todays prices. Unusually, as a customer, I can agree with you in respect a leather half sole and heel. That is good value for money considering world leather prices, which must be a considerable cost to you. I would personally pay more for this kind of work.

By the same token I reciently paid nearly £15 for some rubber heels to be fitted by a multi shop chain in London.

Until the last year or so inflation has been relatively low apart from the spike last year and a bit this year. Therefore, at least with this chain in this part of the country there seems to been a massive inflation busting rise in the price of fitting a rubber heel, going by your price list, from £5 to £15 since 1993. [or was their price £6 back then, i can't quite remember]

This is a bit of a disturbing distortion in price structure because, whereas it was viable for a for someone on an average income to get a cheap pair of shoes reheeled in 1993 it does not look so viable in 2008. Which also means less money being spent in shoe repair shops and more money to 'Shoe World' or whoever.

It is obvious I should still get my Loake's and Duckers reheeled even at that price.

There is a smaller chain I go to in London which charges £12-13 which is better but only just. I suspect there has been a bit of a Star Bucks effect in London, whereas a cup of coffee used to be about £0.70 before starbucks turned up. Now its an inflation busting £2.00 to £2.60 everywhere because I guess others said: well if starbucks can charge that then so can I etc.

When I go to see my parents there is an independent cobbler who charges about £8 and his heels seem to be fatter and last slightly longer. I don't get the chance to see him much though.

Harry.

Why not leave a pair with your parents to get done and pick them up next visit, you dont have to pay London prices.

Going on the price structure and ingnoring world commodities listings, there are references to trade prices going back to the mid fifties, it has been brought up before, the average price of a half sole and heel is around 1/3 the price of a new pair of quality shoes on average that is.

1958 or thereabout 19/11d just under £1 for that job, a tenth of a tradesmans weekly wage or thereabouts.

I will guess that it is about the same today in% rates, on average. (could be cheaper in many areas).

There is a Vegan recommended repairer (vegan shoe shop) in the London area advertising mens heels at £9.99 but cant find it again sorry and no they dont use lettuce leaves but rubber.

hi tel

well that the north/midlands and south divide for you. we are alot poorer down here due to us funding all the northern regeneration towns then theres scottieland as well keeping that unhealthy lot in fried batterd mars bars, come on all you proud scots stop chucking all that crap down your thoarts and costing us lot loads of money.....

whats the going rate then chaps for mens heels?