Shoe Repairer Forum

Anyone else seem to be getting more and more handbags in for repair, new zips, fix straps, new straps, new fastners, to be honest they do my head in. I must be getting about 5 a day now. And another thing is people expect them to repaired for next to nothing :twisted: .

Still I suppose its money in the till :wink:

Rant over :)

So a nice little old lady comes in with the classic perforated along the stitches hanging by a thread handle to be repaired

2_IMAGE_114_1.jpg

How much do you charge & how long do you give yourself to do it?

RANT begun!

Lee

it would depend on the make of bag but my cheapest stitch job is fiver most though 6.50. if its a normal bag same day or whatever if its a expensive bag a bit longer its up to the customer. old dears always get it a bit cheaper, if you want loads of patchng jobs just put a spare patcher macnine(if you have one) in the window and you'll be inundated try it and see.

I would prefer to do patching & stitching to anything else but, my prices would flabergast most of you. ~~I had a minimum charge for stitching bags of £4...........20 years ago.

yeah, but were the majority of the bags you did only £4 - £15 in today's prices? most of the old dears we serve have bought theirs from the outdoor market for less than a fiver :roll:

we hardly see a real designer bag from one month to the next :cry:

those we do get we get our money's worth due to the high value and the money you'd have to pay out if anything unfortunate happened.

For me its £4.00 for this job & about 2 days. WHY? because I want to leave time to cut 1/2 a dozen cyclinder keys for the same £4 in the time I might be doing this stitching.

Stitchings not the most profitable use of time, so I only do stitching at times like the tail end of the day when there's not more profitable jobs on the go.

Lee

I would do it for £4.00 (my minimum charge) or £6.00 for both sides. I prefer to leave them with me. That way they don't see how easy it is to do and therefore bitch about the price. I don't replace zips in bags though, too bloody fiddly and I have enough work to be getting on with. Anyway the price they have probably paid for the bag would be cheaper than the zip replacement.

Yeah, you get that brigade in all aspects of the trade.

"Can you just"

"Can you do me a favour"

"I've got a challenge for you"

" I only use them in the garden"

"These are for an old lady"

"She wants to know if you can do these"

"can you do a miracle on my old slotherers"

"can you repair these, I only need them to last another couple of weeks"

Bag and general stitching. When I can get round to it, Maybe next day, Next couple or even end of the week. Hate it. Waist of time for what you can make in the same time on Shoes and keys

30 seconds to stitch a handbag strap, £3.50. Hardly a waste if time :?

Guest k@lsb
Yeah, you get that brigade in all aspects of the trade.

"Can you just"

"Can you do me a favour"

"I've got a challenge for you"

" I only use them in the garden"

"These are for an old lady"

"She wants to know if you can do these"

"can you do a miracle on my old slotherers"

"can you repair these, I only need them to last another couple of weeks"

you mist the best one lol

just paid a fiver in the local oxfam shop for these bargain DONT YOU THINK, now can you put a sos and heel on please,

YES SIR I CAN FOR £14.95 LOL not such a bargain now are they lol lol lol customer SAYS BUTI ONLY PAID A FIVER..I SAY so ill do them for £2.00.......get real lol lol lol our prices dont change to the cost of youre shoes sir, if they were £1000 pounds it would still be £14.95.............AT THIS POINT CUSTOMER DOES A RIGHT TURN CLYDE OUT THE DOOR...lol

We charge £2 , next day service , customers still not happy expect us to stop everything and do it while they wait . In lots of cases customer tells us they have only had the bag for a few weeks , when i suggest taking it back to the shop they bought it from they reply that they cannot be bothered, problem is that if they still insist on filling bags with heavy items that the bag was never intended to hold and our repair fails they are back to us like a shot insisting we give a refund ! .

Sometimes you just cannot win , customers are more likely to take items back to small independant retailers than they are to the large "Faceless" multiple retailers where they know they will get no satisfaction ,but still continue to give them there trade , seems we are in a no win situation sometimes .