CuttingEdge cover, tell me I'm NOT seeing things!

Picked up my copy of cutting edge this morning & couldn't believe what I was seeing! I'm hoping someone will tell me different, but it appears to me that on the front cover Howard is holding a brand new watch battery with a pair of metal tweezers :? that battery will be flat considerably sooner with that short circuit than if he'd been using plastic covered ones..........

Hopfully someones gona tell me they ARE plastic covered but they don't look like it to me! :shock:

For reference batteries are very fragile in that they sustain a low drain over a long period of time. you should always fit new ones with a tweezer that will not short circuit them. if you are using your fingers [-X always wear a surgical glove. these are cheap as chips to buy & will stop your bodies natural acids getting into the watch.

2_DCP_0012_3.jpg

I always wear them for other works in a watch such as movements etc.

Lee

Is he not removing a Dead Battery, in which case it would not matter.
How do you know if the battery is dead or not, until you remove it!

Some watches may have developed a fault and as such the first thing you do when removing the battery is put it on your tester to determine if it needs replacing in the first place.

the test of a removed battery is the first step in diagnosing if the watch needs a new battery or repairing in some way. removing the old battery should be done with tweezers made from a none conducting material.

Lee

Yes I agree entirely but,........ I never put back a battery that has been inserted by someone else, it gets binned... live or dead.

As for testing, this can be done in situe as shown in the mini set of instructions, (dont know if these were included with the article or printed on another page but showed the use of electronic testing equipment.

Very rarely is a battery completely discharged when the watch stops, whether using a tester with the battery in or out off the watch, invariably the battery is still producing a voltage just not enough to run the movement.

Ignoring shorting the battery for a moment, Using any tweezers or tools that could induce a current through the watch at any point in the process consequently inducing an incorrect polarity through the movements electronics could potentially be fatal for the movement.

I would still recommend when removing or replacing the battery NOT to use any tools which will conduct the electrical current.

Lee

Very rarely is a battery completely discharged when the watch stops, whether using a tester with the battery in or out off the watch, invariably the battery is still producing a voltage just not enough to run the movement.

Ignoring shorting the battery for a moment, Using any tweezers or tools that could induce a current through the watch at any point in the process consequently inducing an incorrect polarity through the movements electronics could potentially be fatal for the movement.

I would still recommend when removing or replacing the battery NOT to use any tools which will conduct the electrical current.

Lee

Point taken sir!!!! Never thought of that.

No chance............. :roll:

Oh and i'm not sure hughbedo had admitted being in error only something he hadnt thought about. Bet you there's a difference............

I was wrong......hands held up......and it was admitted because I graciously bow to a man with more watch knowledge than me (that's not a lot though)never done it proffessionally, just a hobby.

Ascap, there is an extraction vent on the bulkhead, just below the trimmers and in line behind the breaster tool.

http://www.standardgroup.co.uk/shoe-rep ... nisher.htm

We changed the design of this two years ago in order to improve airflow, therefore extraction and to improve the ergonomics of the machine, it is much improved on both counts.

Keith