Shoe Repairer Forum

Quality repairer needed......

Guest BH0201

Gents,

I'm looking for a quality repair to a pair of Cheaney's that have work through on the sole. I'm happy to post or drop them in somewhere near Whitehall.

Thanks for any assistance provided in advance :D

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought but, have you tried Cheaney themselves.
Sometimes you're not a very good ambassador for our fine trade! Don't go back to Cheaney! most repairers will lavish a commendable amount of time & attention to your shoes that will exceed a manufacturers repair service.

Lee

Our aim should be to get the best possible job for the customer whoever they may be.

There is no comparison to a local repair job from a manufacturer rebuild.

A Manufacturer will automatically replace the welt and in some cases the Insole, getting the shoe back into the shape it was when purchased is a job for the Manufacturer, no repairer has the manufacturing lasts to ensure a correct fit after repair. Very few have a Welt sewing machine to ensure that the welt is stitched to the upper sitting around the last that they were made upon and of the correct tension for that shoe.

This is not taking away the skills of the individual who may and often is, able to repair footwear that the manufacturer will not handle due to the significant wear and age of the shoes.

Manufacturing repairs take many weeks and are very expencive but they are the best if the condition of the footwear falls within the manufacturers guidlines for repair.

This is why I recommended the customer provided photos.

The guys working in the Manufacturing Repair dept are also Trade members, repairing shoes every day on equipment most would like to have at their disposal. Just because they work for a Manufacturer does not excude them from being part of the Shoe Repair Trade.

The British Boot & Shoe Benevelant Society

An organisation to help those members of the trade that fell on hard times was at the forefront of setting the standards for the rates of pay and conditions within the Shoe Repair and Manufacturing Repairers. Their Repairers are or were on the same basic pay structure as everyone was when this trade was purely for Shoe Repairs. Without them at the helm Shoe repairs would be done today as it was many years ago, in peoples Sheds and Cellars.

Lest we forget those that went before us and those that are still fighting for the rights within the Shoe Repair trade to bring this disintegrated group together. You as a Forum operator are on the one hand trying to unite them, but on the other hand are saying "Hold on there is a THEM and US, there is the Manufacturing Repairers, there is the Indpendant Repairers , there is the Multiple Repairers, once they all belonged under 1 umbrella and that is what we should be trying to achieve not disparity. Shame upon you for suggesting they are not part of the trade Lee. :shock:

This hits the essence of the site Hugh, I agree the choice of words I used did not read back to well. But I'm sure most will actually understand what I was trying to say, my apologies to anyone who may have taken offence at my comments.

However there are 2 Points I would like to make on your reply.

Just because they work for a Manufacturer does not excude them from being part of the Shoe Repair Trade.

I did NOT say it excludes them from the shoe repair trade I said

most repairers will lavish a commendable amount of time & attention to your shoes that will exceed a manufacturers repair service.

You as a Forum operator are on the one hand trying to unite them, but on the other hand are saying "Hold on there is a THEM and US, there is the Manufacturing Repairers, there is the Indpendant Repairers , there is the Multiple Repairers, once they all belonged under 1 umbrella and that is what we should be trying to achieve not disparity. Shame upon you for suggesting they are not part of the trade Lee. :shock:

As the forum operator I am VERY realistic about what the forum can and cannot achieve. The site is for help & support to the shoe repair trade. It was never set up to unite the industry. Far from it! A manufacturer’s repairer would come onto the site & give his account of the standards & abilities for producing a top class repair.

I myself am a small independent & proud of the repairs I offer my customers. We are all very different similar to political parties we will never 100% agree!

And that's the point, that's what MAKES the forum.

Politicians may have different policies but they all love politics! My ramblings unless in green coloured text are my own personal views and not those of the forum as a whole.

The forum itself doesn't have its own opinion or stand point. It does unite the industry simply by the fact that it is the first media where we can ALL take part, big or small if we want to. Through our ramblings we have over the last 2 ½ years formed a better understanding for the different corners of the trade & this IS making the industry united. The forums helped the collective good of the trade as a whole.

United with one voice not one view!

I hold no shame for the forum.

Lee

Lee,

I am not going to spend time disecting the posts because I cant remeber how to :wink: but to put it as you said it, and I quote

"Sometimes you're not a very good ambassador for our fine trade! Don't go back to Cheaney!"

I reiterate... Cheaney is part of the Trade and has been and has been longer than most members. There is no them and us in my eyes.

I have to say I agree with Lee on this issue.

There is no plus point in sending your shoes back to Cheaney, when there are repairers out there that can do a better job, with better materials at a more competative price.

I feel we are here to endorse the shoe repair trade, not the shoe manufacturing trade.

This is our forum and we should be endorsing our members, not send our customers to other companies who probably don't even know of this forum.

Just for the record, Cheaney are know using :smt078 plastic :smt078 welting. If the shoes came to most of us, and needed rewelting, we would replace them with leather welts. because it is far superior, and will last twice as long.

just my view. :P

Cheaney have a Repair division and as such are Repairers.

We.. and by We I mean everyone on this forum has a duty to get the best service providor for an enquiring customer.

If you think that it should be a closed shop and only let the customer know about the services of forum members then the forum should be changed for ShoeRepair info to Closed Shop info, and the policy has to be Keep the work to ourselves and dont give info that may be more beneficial to the customers.

I have seen first hand the work done by Cheaney repair factory, if anyone thinks that they can do a better job then either they are suffering from delusions, or they have not seen a re-lasted shoe being brought back to an almost showroom condition. And you will not acheive this by hand sewing inferior leather welts by hand. If you can get welting of the grade that is used in top class manufacture then you may just have a starting point, but it is a long way to go to the finished product.

Cheaney have a Repair division and as such are Repairers.

We.. and by We I mean everyone on this forum has a duty to get the best service providor for an enquiring customer..

I, apart from my moderator duties, Do not have a duty to anyone elses business, only my own.

If you think that it should be a closed shop and only let the customer know about the services of forum members then the forum should be changed for ShoeRepair info to Closed Shop info, and the policy has to be Keep the work to ourselves and dont give info that may be more beneficial to the customers.

How many pairs have you sent back to the manufacturer.

I have seen first hand the work done by Cheaney repair factory, if anyone thinks that they can do a better job then either they are suffering from delusions, .

Every pair I do I have one thing in mind....doing a near perfect job for my customer, so they will return time and time again.

Cheaney will get an employee to repair the shoes, who wouldn't have the same mentality as an Independant working for himself, its human nature.

or they have not seen a re-lasted shoe being brought back to an almost showroom condition. And you will not acheive this by hand sewing inferior leather welts by hand. .

Cheaney are now using plastic welts. And stitching new welts by had is far superior to restitching with a machine, because we use the oringinal holes, you can't gaurentee that with a machine.

If you can get welting of the grade that is used in top class manufacture then you may just have a starting point, but it is a long way to go to the finished product.

I have some very nice leather welting, that is far better than plastic.

I can withstand pop-shots by those who think I should be supporting forum members to the exclusion of the rest of the trade.

I am not taking popshots at you Hugh, I just disagree with you, like you disagree with me........

Its quite simple really You are replacing/repairing like for like and do so to the best of your ability so theres NO point in sending back to Cheaneys.

Now if it were "branded" footwear where the components were not readily available to the repair trade ie. Timberland and so on then I would send them back to the timberland repair centre(Timpsons :wink: ) as they can replace like for like,however if they come back to me and tell me its going to be a vibram unit repair I ask for them to be sent back so I can do the job but they do get first bite so I do take both side of this arguement

maybe its not simple :oops:

carry on!

err, if cheaney take shoes back and put new soles etc on them doesnt that make them repairers?

Yeah, but its obvious were we're coming from...........So if anyone with Standard machinery, you'd recommend they get all thier maintainance done by them......No I didn't think so :smt110

just realised what you were saying you cheeky boy! i know what you are getting at about taking back to the manufacturer. there is nothing to stop them getting repairs by the original maker but as you know it wont always ensure a good repair :wink:

:lol: So... What you are telling me is that Hand Stitching with the shoe on a universal undersize or even one size fits all last as some have, is better than Machine stitching under a uniform tension and kept to the original shape on the original lasts that they were made on.!!!!!!Poppycock.

I have had several pairs re-manufactured, also had them sent away for customers when they were prepared to wait a couple of months.

There are Repairers doing work for manufacturers on a contract basis, some of these are fortunate to have the original lasts, some of these are Independants and some are Multiples all have to produce work that is inspected under Quality Control and under go frequent visits from manufaturers representatives.

Any shoe that is repaired on metal universal lasts will not match the original specification no matter how hard you try to get it exact because you are working to a set of patterns that are from the worn shoe, not only are the sole and heel distorted but the upper as well. Putting them back into shape as they were first manufactured is a job for those having access to the original lasts. The nearest anyone can get is to Repair them to the shape that they were in when brought in for repair and that just aint the same no matter how good you are.

I have had several pairs re-manufactured, also had them sent away for customers when they were prepared to wait a couple of months.

Surely that wouldn't be economical though for your business?

How did you justify to the customer their shoes taking a couple of months to repair??

Didn't they mind? :shock:

:lol: So... What you are telling me is that Hand Stitching with the shoe on a universal undersize or even one size fits all last as some have, is better than Machine stitching under a uniform tension and kept to the original shape on the original lasts that they were made on.!!!!!!Poppycock.

There are Repairers doing work for manufacturers on a contract basis, some of these are fortunate to have the original lasts, some of these are Independants and some are Multiples all have to produce work that is inspected under Quality Control and under go frequent visits from manufaturers representatives.

Any shoe that is repaired on metal universal lasts will not match the original specification no matter how hard you try to get it exact because you are working to a set of patterns that are from the worn shoe, not only are the sole and heel distorted but the upper as well. Putting them back into shape as they were first manufactured is a job for those having access to the original lasts. The nearest anyone can get is to Repair them to the shape that they were in when brought in for repair and that just aint the same no matter how good you are.

I think that post is a load of B*llocks, from start to finish, but I'm not going to disect it, or you'll think I'm having a "pop" at you :roll: :roll:

I would never recommend a customer of mine to go elsewere for thier shoe repairs.....never have, never will.

And I certainly woudn't send my own shoes back to the manufacturer!!!! what would that say about my own skills.

I have rebuilt many shoes, and in some cases gone further than the manufacturer would, IE complete reline. And I have always been very proud of the outcome, and my customers have always been more than happy.

The day I recommend someone else to do a job that I should be able to do, will be the day I pack it in.

Folk with limited skills find it hard to comprehend the level of skills some Independants possess :wink: :wink: and I know alot of skillfull repairers.

Unfortunatley, not everyone will see it from my view..but they are calibrators, and a few years ago you would have been hung for high treason. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D

CARRY ON