Machine for rings , engraving but that so cuts out shapes

Guest ukjewelleryshop

Guest ukjewelleryshop

hi

i'm about to buy an engraving machine and seem torn between 3 very different machines but because of my needs and budget £7k i'm finding it hard to pick one. i need to engrave thinks like dog tags , lockets etc but no real need for tankards , curved items such as bangles and diff rings inside and out. but i also want the machine to cut out name plates and shapes. The u marq VX4 the replacement for the RX4 and FX4 seems to do all this and at the right price but no one has anything to say about them on here or anywhere else , which is a worry. though mastergrave do get the odd mention and nothing that bad was said about them. i have been offered a gravograph IS200 for £3650 which would leave enough for a computerized ring engraver but i can't find anything out if this machines cuts out and to what depth. I've also been offered the Suregrave rotation S with the ring attachments as new for £6000 which seems do everything i need BUT everyone of here hates it. if anyone has any advice i'd be very grateful

last thing i'm a jeweller so everything i engrave tends to be small and either silver or gold

thanks

Darryll

hi -

i would recommend the is200 -

3650 seems a reasonable price. i take it they will give training included in price

if you do get it i have an attachment for ring engraving which will save you buying another machine, but the ring engraving machine i'd recommend is the gravograph im4 - which i have and have not seen anything that comes near it! (yet)

Guest AndrewJ

Hi Daryl

I have had one or two of the Gem machines over the past few years. I have no real complaints. i see them as relatively cheap, entry level machines. I have had one problem with the GEM FX machine (the control board shorted out). This was quickly repaired by Mastergrave, although they are no longer the UK distributor. I have not dealt directly with U-Marq as yet so can't comment on service.

I am not a great fan of the Visitool software, and the GEM machines are 'closed' systems, so you can not use alternative software to run them. The software is fairly simple to learn

The Gem series of machines are relatively new and have been developing rapidly over the past couple of years. I had problems getting the right accessories for my needs initially. The IS200 is a more mature machine, has a very wide user base, and the Gravograph machines tend to be the most robust.

I found the GEM machines quite lightweight, and if you are going to cutting / profiling metals a lot, I would ask for a throrough demonstration using the materials that you will be working with. I only use the GEM FX machines I have left for very light engraving work.

Guest ukjewelleryshop

i have kind of narrowed it down to the rotation S (the latest version not the older german made one that had problems the other year) or the IS200 , getting the IS200 would leave enough cash left over for the gravograph RM4 ring engraver but having spoken to suregrave today about my needs the rotation S still seems to be the better option. The IS200 will cut out but not as well as the S but the IS400 which second hand is in my budget will cut out very well BUT i'd need to spend another £1500 on better software and still would not have a ring engraver. i think if i'd been able to get the IS400 and ring engraver at the same price as the S i'd have done that but its a little out of my budget.

thanks for the advice about the Umarq machine, i was very pleased no one just slated it as it will seems like a good option

Darryll

Guest AndrewJ

Thanks for the Welcome planet Planet & Lee

I stumbed across your Forum (can't remember how - Christmas haze). My interests are on the engraving side . Some good topics and posts to read back on.