Shoe Repairer Forum

split topic, bonuses & training

Guest k@lsb

I would see it that a bonus system of some description would have to be in place.

An individual running their own business would want as much turnover and profit as possible, to this end they put in maximum effort every week of the year.

A Manager of a shop owned by another person unless there is an incentive, will only do what they have to do geared by customer demand.

To put it another way, if it comes in-do it but dont look for work.

Bonus schemes are a very good way of getting the best out of your employees and shows who has got the skills to progress. The danger comes when that same scheme is used with an agression so forcefull that it becomes Power Selling, this in itself is fine in the right hands but not everyone has these skills. The person who does not have the skill or is being pushed for sales by their superior will quite frequently not offer an option on price, offering only the highest price.

They do not have the bargaining skills to keep the customer and get an agreeable priced transaction.

My verdict on bonus's is "Excellent in the right hands" "Disaster in the wrong hands"

Apart from the opening post (which I am sceptical about) You can't knock T's for there high street Prices and customer service skills, most of you who are high street traders set your price just behind em, as a customer winning tactic, Timpsons on the other hand are confident with there quality image and customer service skills, which they do very well.

Some of us would do well to take a leaf out of their book.

I for one have often looked in a T shop and though.........that's a good idea or that looks smart.

just my thoughts

Ive never heard such a load of bo*%@ks in all my life, most independents charge less than ts as I couldn't charge 7.95 for a battery and you say they should as their staff have the skills and the shops look smart

I was in t branch 3 days ago bloke comes to collect a pair of ladies boots they had 3/8 pu's on them, £8.95 now as far as im concerned thats robbery no two ways about it

Yes they do have some good staff with good skills and some staff that aren't

Ive been in the trade 20 years and rate my self as good as their best,

Of course theire shops look nice and I will say they do , if you had several million in the bank no doubt your shop would look the dogs, but dont say we should take a leaf out of there book, my shop was immaculate so was my skills ,

mark. If one day you reached the dizzy heights of 550+ shops, would you say it was because you weren't offering a good service!!!

You don't become that sucessfull if your not good at what you do.

Timpson may charge £8.95 for PU's but they are busy............why??? No one forces customers to shop in there stores.

I'm not questioning your abillity...I know your a good operater. :wink:

Ive never heard such a load of bo*%@ks in all my life, I was in t branch 3 days ago bloke comes to collect a pair of ladies boots they had 3/8 pu's on them, £8.95

i always get quoted by customers prices for pu tops £9-75

why do there prices differ so much?

The price ain't nowt to do with it Keith.

Why do people shop in Harrods when they can get the same things cheaper elsewhere.

Easy, because they like the service they wanted last time they visited the store.

If Timpson customers keep going back, which they obviously do, its because they are satisfied with the goods and service.

Thats why I said we could all take a leaf out of there book. But some members just wanna knock em.........but they can't even put up a good argument as to why :roll:

only comment on this subject is - why do 't' charge way different prices in all there shops, one price one shop and in all the other shops different prices? if they were that good on quality surely the prices would be the same in ALL there shops?

we get quotes from different people from one shop - and its all over the place (one week to the next) - more so because different staff in the same shop charge different prices. it seems sometimes that the person at the shop either tries to charge more to deter the customer having a job done than any price list!

Sorry Uk but I think you will always get a better service at an Independant rather than a multi in all cases not just in this trade. :lol:

Normally I am quite reserved and see both sides of the story as each viewpoint can be logical. In this instance I have to say that you are posting with sentiment and bias.

Both the Independents and Multiples have their fare share of bad customer service outlets, fortunately for the Multiples they can change their staff around. The customer going into a badly serviced Independent shop is stuck with bad service for life unless there is opposition.

The reason that I have replied to this post and to be honest I could not give a toss about your own customers service or anyone elses is that I have been on the sharp end of Independent traders today, quite a coincidence that Today I have received the worst form of customer service imaginable from 3 Sole Traders all in the Carpet / Flooring trade.

My crime was wanting 2 meters of underlay and an 8 foot brass joint.

I ended up after 2 hours of visits to Independents to give them my cash, in going to a Multiple where the service was so good that I e-mailed the HQ on return commenting on the service.

So dont tell me that Independents are better at customer service Danny, some are, but not the majority.

Bees flying artound in Bonnets springs to mind here.

Guest jamesstratton
only comment on this subject is - why do 't' charge way different prices in all there shops, one price one shop and in all the other shops different prices? if they were that good on quality surely the prices would be the same in ALL there shops?

we get quotes from different people from one shop - and its all over the place (one week to the next) - more so because different staff in the same shop charge different prices. it seems sometimes that the person at the shop either tries to charge more to deter the customer having a job done than any price list!

we dont use price lists for shoe repairs,we use price guides the reason for example is this. someone my come in for soles on their shoes and it may be a basic job (rough them up and put a sole on) they might bring in another pair a couple of weeks later with a hole in there sole and need a resin sole put on. we charge more for resin than a sos but to the customer its just another sole. other jobs will be charged differently because of time to do it, and others may use different materials.

I'm with uk900 on this one

We are grateful to T for dragging prices up to the prices we charge today ( just below T's). and we often send new employees to there to see the importance of cleaning machinery and displays .

We don't have to duplicate everything they do but we can pick out individual elements that suit our own business.

My point on price difference merely made reference to the question of why Timpson charged different prices for seemingly the same job Mark :wink: ie a pair of stillettoe's :?

I believed that was the question? Or one of them :shock:

I new what you meant Keith and I agree fully :wink: . My point has been lost because the post was split.

Or are you talking to the other Mark :shock: or uk900 :smt017