Shoe Repairer Forum

replacing watch batteries

Guest WOODY

ive just started to do watch battery and strap relacements, most are ok and easy enough but there are a few that seem to be a problem, mostly getting the backs off the watches without doing to much damage :oops: , can anyone give me any tips on this and any other advice on watch strap and battery replacement would be very helpfull.

also how do you price battery replacement :?:

thanks in advance, woody.

All this info can be obtained from your supplier, presuming of course you have contact with a representative, I onlt do them as a hobby but find Apollo, Cousins very helpfull and I only spend a few pounds.

Main thing form my point of view as a customer and a fix it bloke is to get the back off without scratching the back, for this I use 3 tools, Sharp short knife, Mens case opener and a ladies case opener, left or right handed.

For stubborn backs I use the ladies with the case on its edge and a sharp tap with the hammer.

You will also need (if you have not got one) a case opener for the scewed on backs.

Probably your biggest problem with backs is not getting them off but getting the buggers back on again, that's where a press comes in but I dont use one unless I'm desperate as I've broke a couple of glass faces. :oops:

Guest jamesstratton

case openers for screw backs can be quite expensive but i have seen some on ebay which are only about £10. if you are going to be doing a lot of batteries you are going to need one. putting the baks back on can be a bit tricky sometimes but you an usually get most of them on using a robur press. you can also convert the robur into a case opener with a handy attatchment, i have found it really usefull on armani & DKNY watches but i dont know where to get them from as i just phone head office for my parts. most of our tools have come from ondor or apollo though.

Guest jamesstratton

i think it depends on what local competition are charging. as long as you have the better tools and know what you are doing you can always charge a little more and you often find that if they dont feel very confident about a particular watch they will send the customer to you, which will give the customer more confidence in you and get you more customers. most people prefer a quality job than a cheap one

Guest jamesstratton

1.5v button cell £4.95 & 3v lithium cell £5.95

How do Timpson compare?

at timpson watches are charged differen prices depending on the make of the watch. in my branch i charge at least £6.95 which would be for a sekonda, limit or anything of a similar type

As most users of the forum are from an Independent background James how do you find the information available on the site. I has already been rewarding to hear your views on a bonus system. Has the forum been able to provide you with any information that you were unaware of and does it encourage you to ask questions?

Guest jamesstratton

i think the site is great. i don't know why there aren't others from timpson using it. we dont know everything. most of the people that i know have worked for the company less than 15 years and most probably less than that, so i think i could pick up a fair bit of info that could help me do my job better, which would obviously mean more cash. i dont mind giving some of my limited knowledge to help others if i'm getting some back. its great to see how you all help each other.

Nice words James, there are quite a few from the multiples but they tend to be hovering in the background as guests watching what is going on without taking an active part. There are a few that are Multiple employees that have been members for some time now but you have to know who they are as they dont tend to shout about it.

ive just started to do watch battery and strap relacements, most are ok and easy enough but there are a few that seem to be a problem, mostly getting the backs off the watches without doing to much damage :oops: , can anyone give me any tips on this and any other advice on watch strap and battery replacement would be very helpfull.

If you look in the tutorials section there is some help on watches, I have been asked several questions about batteries recently. I will do a “basicâ€

If you look in the tutorials section there is some help on watches, I have been asked several questions about batteries recently. I will do a “basicâ€

1.5v button cell £4.95 & 3v lithium cell £5.95

How do Timpson compare?

at timpson watches are charged differen prices depending on the make of the watch. in my branch i charge at least £6.95 which would be for a sekonda, limit or anything of a similar type

hi, thanks for your reply

hope you dont mind me asking

is there a price list for different watches/batteries if so could it be down loaded?

do you charge any less if they only want a battery to take to fit themselves?

woody.

Guest jamesstratton

there are a couple of lists but not available to download. i dont think i can put one of the lists here because they cover prices for many repairs and timpson have probably spent a bit of time and money putting it together. i dont want to risk my job. i let the customer have battery only for £3. sorry i cant be much more helpful :)

Guest jamesstratton

i have the pictures for you now hugh but i dont know how to get them on here. they aren't great quality but i think they give you an idea of what the tool is like.

|\

| \

| |

___|__|___

| |

|_________|

|_____|

while you are waiting i have drawn this lovely picture to hopefully give you some idea of what the blade part looks like

A beautiful drawing james, very erotic but cant understand what part of the anatomy it is :lol: :lol:

For a pic to be posted just press return to go to a fresh line then press the upload picture button above the box you are typing into. when the new box opens press browse to go to your pics, select the upload, then press the standard button underneath, I think that should do it.

still cant get it to work

Sorry James

the upload pic, isn't instantly available to new members, to avoid any problems. Sometimes I forget to update who can & can't upload pictures!

You will now find the upload picture button when making a post :oops:

Lee

I'd be quite interested in getting into watch battery replacement - seems like a fairly low cost, high return area.

Can anyone advise me roughly how many different types of battery would be required to offer a basic service? I'd probably steer clear of screw-on backs initially, and perhaps get into those when I've had a bit more practice!

hiya lee

that would be excellent if you could do a tutorial. would it be possible for you to show us what these men/ladies case openers are, also the back press and how they all work.

many thanks woody.

I have just added another tutorial for opening & closing the case back here

http://www.shoerepairer.info/bb/viewtop ... 3884#23884

batteries to follow! :wink:

Lee