Shoe Repairer Forum

Laces on a roll

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit concerned about the thread and its content...Is it a loonacy competition !!!!!!

Soory, but what means: loonacy? (Google translate doesn't help... :-k )

I can't get it: 600,00 a week? That means aprox. 45 pairs off laces a day =;

discodave wrote: john how many laces do you sell a day and have you found that lace sales have peaked or continuing to rise?

I sold the first 6 weeks allmost the double laces from roll, compared with last year. :D

It raises year after year. Last year was the best year ever but I started my webshop in januari. Every month I sold more laces all around the country.

This topic: "Laces on a roll" rocks! Allmost 6000 views! =D>

That means that more people like the idea... \:D/ (I think...) 8)

Hi Guys

We have increased the range of fashion laces substantially this year following current trends. Offering Lurex, Ribbon, Velvet and even lace, laces not to mention ovals in fluorescent and bright's up to 220cm. There will always be laces that you have not got in stock even with our range of currently over 480 variations. We would love you to stock everything but it just isn't practicle for everyone, mores the pitty. Laces are a very profitable line for you and an area that you can beat Timpson's as most of their shops are to small to increase the range they offer with everything else they sell.

The roll idea I think is really good for anyone with time to spare where they can offer a while you wait service on making laces. The British customer is not good at being told they will have to come back for a pair of laces and this is what they will have to do if you cannot make there and then. If you have 2 or more in the shop with you this is not a problem. One pair of laces = 4 tags.

You have to as always find a solution that suits your operation.

Hope this helps.

Caroline.

Thanks for an informative post, Caroline. =D> 480 variations of laces? Blimey.

However, you may have discreetly skirted around the question many want answered...

Firstly, I'll declare my position & say that I'm happy to stock your laces blister packed.

How many of the people that have gone before in this epic topic declaring an interest in this would it take for you to be able to stock laces on a roll? How long might the rolls be, and what sort of range might be possible?

Hi

I looked at this years ago and also bought a hand tag machine to show people the concept. Everytime we got a negative response when they tried to make a pair of laces with the comment that they could repair a pair of heels in less time and it was not worth employing another member of staff just to make laces.

We would need at least 100 repairers wanting the system to invest in the spools each spool would contain 200meters of braid. This braid may contain joins and some faults because spools would miss 2 x quality control process's these would be carried out in store as you make the laces.

Starter pack would contain the following (for example)

30 x spools of assorted lace braids. approx 3,500 pairs of laces when made

3,000 small metal aglets (all antique bronze)

2,000 large metal aglets

1 x hand tagger

Initial investment maybe £800

Hope this helps

Caroline

2,000 large metal aglets

1 x hand tagger

Looks a great idea!

not for me though - time spent with (some) customers who cannot make there minds up what lengths of laces they require off our existing range 'bores' the c**9 out of me - to have this system, with the question to every customer "exactly what length do you require?" would probably do me head in....

good luck to those who really want it,

Hi

I looked at this years ago and also bought a hand tag machine to show people the concept. Everytime we got a negative response when they tried to make a pair of laces with the comment that they could repair a pair of heels in less time and it was not worth employing another member of staff just to make laces.

It doesn't take that long to make laces....

But don't invest in a handtool but use the eyelet-machine with foot control. (Hope you get what i mean!)

We would need at least 100 repairers wanting the system to invest in the spools each spool would contain 200meters of braid. This braid may contain joins and some faults because spools would miss 2 x quality control process's these would be carried out in store as you make the laces.

Don't know where that laces come from but I can buy them in spools of 100 meters.

I never had a problem with the quality! I can order every lace I want in every color.

Starter pack would contain the following (for example)

2,000 large metal aglets

1 x hand tagger

What will be the investment to buy the full range of 480 variations off packed laces?

John, the Dutch Cobbler

2,000 large metal aglets

1 x hand tagger

Looks a great idea!

not for me though - time spent with (some) customers who cannot make there minds up what lengths of laces they require off our existing range 'bores' the c**9 out of me - to have this system, with the question to every customer "exactly what length do you require?" would probably do me head in....

good luck to those who really want it,

I'm the same...usual conversation goes:

-can I have some laces?

-yes what length?

-Don't know

-how many holes down one side?

-don't know

-shoes,boots,trainers?

-not sure,there for my husband.I know there black!!!

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

CAN'T BE ARSED WITH IT :evil:

Hi Guys

My understanding of the UK Shoe repairer/public is that: -

The shoe repairer - Wants to mend shoes/cut keys/engrave and make a decent margin in the process.

Accessories are the icing on the cake and you want everything to be self service.

REASON

The public

The UK lady (does the shopping in the main) is a fickle thing, never thinks or makes a list. Stumbles on the memory that they need laces and hey presto enters the shop with absolutely no idea they came in different sizes. You direct them to the back of the pack and the rest is down to them (fingers crossed) and you repair the shoes!

An atractive display helps sales and having bright colours within the display draws the eye and increase the sale of black laces (it's true)

My worry with the spool system in the UK is how finiky the UK shopper is. If you try to pass a pair of shoe laces over for payment that do not look every bit as good as a pair of machine acetate tagged laces they will want you to make another pair and try again (this will make you the happiest bunny in the world :D). Abroad the public seem more accepting of variants eg one lace is 5mm longer than the other they would probably accept and still pay for them, I am not so sure over here but I did think the idea was good enough to look in to before coming to this conclusion after discussions with many of you.

Regards

Caroline

We have just finished printing the New Brochure link = www.shoestringuk.com/pricelists/brochure2010.pdf just copy and past and take a look.

Work Site is our new brand. A range of products specifically for Workers. 3 x heavy duty insoles, Heavy Duty laces, A boot scrapper etc. A complete stand dedicated to the range.

Loving My Bag we have added Hand Bag protector spray.

Other things you might not know and could make life easier is our website www.shoestringuk.com in the trade site you have access to COSH safety data sheets for all products, this means you are fully covered should you ever have an inspection being able to print a sheet directly from the site.

The home page links directly to the public with the TRADE portal at the top. We do not wish in anyway to take business from you guys and therefore our Website is at full recommended retail selling plus carriage. The trade site offers you a 5% saving over phone orders when ordering small amounts. You can use our site as a customer service point when you do not have yellow shoe cream or silver laces and do not wish to stock them, it gives a solution to your customer and you and you can explain it will be slightly more expensive than if you had the product but at least they can get it.

Hope this information is useful to you.

Regards

Caroline

Interesting concept Caroline. I have little room in my mobile unit for stock especially shoe care. I disagree that discussing with customers the length of laces required is a problem. We should know the approximate length depending on the shoe, if memory is correct and I've been out of the industry for 17 years - 45cm 2 eyelets per side, 60 cm 4 eyelets per side trainer about 140 cm doc martin 180 cm.

Rather than having a conversation about it just tell the customer what they need. Thing is a little bit of time helping a customer will result in more business, they'll keep coming back to you!

I like the idea of laces on a roll...it would solve my problem. Only problem is that I wouldn't shell out £800. Is that the proposition or have I missed something?

I do all the helping the customer as mentioned above but personally I work alone, so when I have a shop full of customers waiting to drop off shoes (which they'll pay for in advance :) ) or wanting keys cut I don't want to be faffing about not only helping the customer decide what they want, but having to measure,cut and then fit aglets as well.Meanwhile the waiting customers have huffed and puffed and walked out. :evil: :evil:

It happens now and then during the 30 seconds it takes to cut a key. :-s

What I will look into is repeating the sticker we made in conjuntion with 'SOMSR' years ago, a form of ruler with the different shoes at each length.

Let you know how it goes.

C

How about adding the forum logo & link, this time round since we inspired the thought! :lol:

Lee

Head to http://www.shoestringuk.com & you will find the aforementioned retail site showing what to charge, plus register for the trade site & you'll get all the cost & range info you could ever need. \:D/

The packs I have in stock are not barcoded.

Hope this helps.

Do I get my commission now, Caroline?? :D :D