Shoe Repairer Forum

Random tension loss

Thanks for your thoughts Guys, its now working correctly. A combination of things put it wright in the end.

I put Linen thread in the shuttle, and wrapped the bottom thread around the locking wheel twice, I also altered the lock very slightly and put a little more tension on the shuttle. All seems fine know :lol: :lol:

Cheers Guys :wink:

and by the way Hugh, the tension setup thingy :oops: is off the DN76 as Peter says.

157_DSCF2252_1.jpg

The tension is exactly as the Fimac, used on both Fimac & DN machines.

Enjoyed your post Peter, didnt know the new tin boxes could be altered for speed. You surely dont get the same buzz operating one of the new ones, mine was on 4 shock absorbers to stop it taking off,(Vor Sprung Stitcher Technic as the Germans would say) operating that all day long non stop gave a sence of satisfaction. (that was in the 50s when you had enough work to use the thing all day long)(every day).

Whatever way you look at this problem it is clear that the devices to form a tension are clearly not doing their job effectivly.

A machine costing what must now be around 6/7grand that wont accept different threads wether it be round, Flat, thick, thin coated, noncoated flax, polyester, nylon, jute or braided Camels testicle bag hair is just a sad state of todays engineering skills. Braided, platted or woven by a Egyptian virgin out of the finest cotton on a Spinning Jenny, a machine should be able to stitch and be adjusted to accomodate any type of substance.

I remember stitching extremly fine ladies welted (as they mostly were then) with thinner needles awls and thread at full speed without having problems with tensions.

A flat roller may/willl cause thread to slip around, a V shaped roller will aid rotation.

You would not dream of having a flat drive wheel on a machine now cos we dont use flat drive belts, there needs to be some grip as the belt or thread goes around the device. Unless of course it is the brake roller.

The outsoler is no doubt my favorite machine, I love tinkering with them. You can make them run on any threads if your skilled enough to alter its settings, I love the Idea of the hot wax pots which my last machine used to use.

But sadly it isn't practical any more as outsoling isn't anywere near as common as it was 20 odd years ago. the wax becomes hard on the roller wheels if left for a day without use, shame really.

I've got an old KB in the garage which when I have time I'm going to do up as a bit of a project. I'm going to have parts chromed and hand painted, make it look real flash.

The hood is missing off it, has anyone got one or are they available to buy still ??

I use pre-waxed thead on the bobbin and Nylon/Geneva thread through the machine. And mine works perfectly too & always has.

There are three tension adjusting screws on the bobbin case, I would set this to give a slight drag of the thread first, then adjust the bottom thread to get the perfect lock balance between top & bottom threads