Shoe Repairer Forum

Gravographs Laser Engravers.

I've been a bit of a sceptic on laser engravers and the need for them in our type of shops. I've had many demo's in the past which left me unconvinced.

My local rep has told me that they are much better these days, and challenged me, to take one for two weeks and have a play. He reckons I'll buy it after a fortnight. :shock:

So I'll take them up on the offer and report back in the near future.

Does anyone out there want me to test it on anything or have anything they want want me to try.. nows the time to ask.

I'll take some pictures of jobs I've done Good and Bad and post em for your pleasure :o

Cheers uk900 :wink:

Dam good question ?

What can it do that the 400 cant ?

Im in the same boat as you, Whats the point, It seems to be technology for the sake of it, Costs more to service ( Lazer life) and you dont get to do any tests before you cut ?

I need a couple of Brass plates done so Maybe thats a start !

I also think I might like to see some perspex done for sign work.

Is that enough to be going on with

Regards

JC

Hmm I'd be interested to know more of their capabilities. I know they are capable of engraving and cutting out shapes in plastic..

What about metal? Such as aluminium for instance. I want to try and remake a badge for my truck which is proving very difficult to replace. I have the correct font. But sadly my IS200 doesn't have a big enough working area to do the job. :(

dont get carried away, the lasers most people sell at the moment are co2 and not yag which means they will not cut or engrave metals. they will however mark them. their main advantage is their engraving area, speed and accuracy for work on most other materials (wood, plastics, rubber etc). if you have a good business in badges, large plastic signs then a laser is a godsend, you can program work for the whole working area and walk away from it. also brilliant for cutting out materials to size and shape.

a bonus is that you can start a new off shoot in rubber stamp making, may not seem much but it is amazing how many people buy stamps.

p.s. dont have one or sell them but have customers that do and i use them whenever i need anything (saves money!)

My main objective is to see if I think they have a place in our multi service enviroment, as well as the CNC engravers, or if its just an added luxury.

Brass plaques, trophy plates, & pet tags,, are not the Lasers strong points, But keep firing away with ideas, and I'll make sure all the points are covered.

I was at the Glasgow spring fair and there was a company there selling lots of Crystal galss wear, it has all be done on a lazer machine and I was not impressed with the finnish, or the cut, it looked grainy and jagged not the perfect finnish you get from sand engraving, if your not into cut glass it all looks the same but the more types of glass you cut the more you notice, Maybe they just used a poor lazer or it was going "Off" but i havent seen any glass/crystal wear done on a lazer that was outstanding :?

• 4 weeks later...
Had my Gravograph rep in this morning, bringing my new Varga saw, He asked me if I wanted him to bring the Laser machine but It'll be a couple of weeks yet, as I've alot on at the moment and wouldn't be able to find time to get the best out of the time given with it.

hey uk, who is your gravograph rep who visted today, do they have several reps running around, i got 1 coming to my place this week to bring my machine.

woody.

Warren Bennison, He's a great guy. Laser machines are great on wood :wink:

What machine have you had.

yeah, i did look at a laser and as you say it was great on wood but only on the surface. i might be wrong but i think it would struggle cutting any depth without bad scorch marks and possibly ruining the piece.

i went for a m40g, expecting delivery on wed.

Woody

Perhaps once you've had the machine for a few months (to get used to it) you could do a review of it in the Product reviews & tests section :wink:

Lee

yeah lee i can do that, it'd be a pleasure. as long as you realise im new to the job and wont be able to compare it with any other machine, on the other hand it might be good to see how a complete novis gets on with the m40g.

woody

Its never the machine thats hard to use, just the software.

I brought a second hand machine with Gravostyle98 Thank god I had 'onest Andy as a mate, because he came round and showed me the basics to get it going!

I probably only use a fraction of the capabilities of the software. So a total novice review would make really interesting reading. GOOD LUCK!

Lee

• 3 months later...