Shoe Repairer Forum

forcips

Guest blank

with all the heel attaching were doing we wondered if there was such a thing as "forcips"

some of the boots we do dont have a zip, so it makes it really difficult to get into

we actually do them with difficulty but there must be some tool out there that can help

we actually have a heel attacher, but some of these heel seats are too small and even rolling them down is hard, we do all of them and have found that using screws is better on a lot of them - the profit is huge as a box of 1 1/4 inch screws cost about 1-16 + vat. usually 100 screws in a box. and the heels will not come off after.

k444mrc, I agree with you about the heel attachers, Ltd usage with todays shoes.

and also have you noticed Buttress nails are very soft these days, they used to be hardened steel. so they bloody bend in the heel attacher most of the time. :evil:

Lee, we also use a cordless drill and screw em on, great minds think alike :D

For anyone still struggling with a manual driver a cordless drill has a more consistent torque and will ratchet when the screw tightens, saves loads of rounded off screws.

Also ideal for fitting taps to tap shoes (fast) I couldn't live without one. the advantage of using my adapted screw driver is the chuck of the drive won't rotate against the upper at any point. and it aids putting scews in at an angle on shaped heel blocks.

Lee

A word of warning/caution here chaps ans chapesses.

Be very aware of health & safety with this method on sling back shoes. one slip and the drill bit/driver is in your hand.

You only have 1 set of hands that cant be replaced, just as you only have 1 pair of eyes.

I speak from experience of suffering for many weeks doing just what you are now doing. I was forunate my hand healed.

Here's an alternative.

Get one of those sets of driver bits that come in a round plastic container.

There is a magnetic bit holder in there.

Buy a screwdriver about 18" long and scour the end off.

Weld or braze the magnetic bit holder onto the end.

you now have a screw driver 18" long that will take any bits and get down inside any boots with the screw being magnetically held in place.

No access to welding or brazing, your local plumber/garage engineering shop might be able to assist.

Although retired for many years I still get asked to secire friends and relatives heels as they cant get them done locally. (local cobbler is clueless) I secure them all with Adhesive and I have never had 1 come off yet, takes 24 hours to set though. Unbelievable stuff. Great for Kicker soles and those soles that have broke in half.

Nay lad, it's been around for 20 years at least. If you were a Marathon runner you would know about it.

Sold in the sports shps under the name of "Freesole"

Sold by my enemy ***Edited by admin (thanks K4Mrc :lol: ) under the name of "Stormsure".

I have mentioned this in earlier posts but to reiterate,

rough up, apply adhesive, clamp, allow to dry overnight, you wont get the buggers apart no matter what you do.

Golden rule, do not get any adhesive on areas that you dont want it as you wont get it off when dry.

I use it at home for a multitude of taskes, adhesive and filler all in one.

It drys to air so once opened it has a limited life, seal the container with tape after to make airtight, when it's gone hard at the top punch a hole on the bottom of the tube the seal with masking tape etc.

Brilliant for repairing Waders/Wellies/ Wet suits, just put tape behind the tear or hole and fill the void with adhesive, allow the garment to dry and its waterproof, stretch it and the adhesive stretches with the fabric, or bends with the footwear.

It's been my miracle cure for 20 years and I believe you can get an activator that makes it dry super fast but I aint never used it.

Once you get used to it you will never turn a job away again, trust me, this is a good one!!!!

I am not sure that the situation is fully understood by K4.

I am having difficulty in understanding his logic, perhaps it is I that have not written clearly enough

The situation is fully understood by K4MRC & Myself, you broke the rules of the forum, naming names and refering to them as your enemy, & Martin picked up on that.

When in the past he has mentioned names of companies, he has been shot down, to be honest I don't give a frig, I'll name & shame if its warranted or give credit where it's due.

I really can't see what all the fuss is about,

Are some members on here frightened of the mighty Timpsons, I'm not!

Do some feel they are obliged to do business with a big wholeseller like Charles Birch, I don't!

I tell it how it is (call a spade a spade)

If a company deserves some credit or discredit, they need to be named by name, It's no use stating this company & that company because no one will know who you're refering to

Are some members on here frightened of the mighty Timpsons, I'm not!

Members shouldn't be frightened of Timpsons Tel, but they should be frightened of what they write. The deformation laws are there to protect, and as the editor of this publication its me who's responsible, along with the writer of the article. I for one am frightened of the mighty companies and individuals also. With a wife and three kids to support this forum isn't important enough to me to take the chance of having to attend a court case on something printed here.

Lee

The situation is fully understood by K4MRC & Myself, you broke the rules of the forum, naming names and refering to them as your enemy, & Martin picked up on that.

Have I mentioned Charles Birch company in a degoratory way?

Have I mentioned any of their products in unfavourable terms (quite the opposite, I was promoting one of their many excellent products).?

Refering to them as "my enemy" was a lighthearted stab at a problem I always had with them, it was I who was their enemy, not vice versa. Perhaps thid not read correctly due to my limited vocabulary.

Perhaps you would care to enlighten me how a referal as a personal enemy can have an effect on that company both in regards to sales and forum status as I have no wish to be on the wrong side of any company.