Shoe Repairer Forum

Quality of Welted Footwear

Topic started due to posts under another topic for new mwmbers posted by myself under Guest.

The church shoes that you have encountered?

are they proper goodyear welted or welted but blaked though using fibreboard or reconstituted leather welting.?

hane been hearing reports of the sunday supliments offering 1 pair free if you buy 1 pair for £99 and the quality is similiar to handmade Egyptian or Indian. any comments?

I too have seen 3 or 4 pairs of these things recently

My customers have purchased them through one of the sunday papers although not sure of the maunufacturer.

The material has all the wear quality of a bit of wet tissue paper.

I could use the old term. " You get what you pay for" But with these I don't think they are good value at all.

• 2 months later...

In accordance with our deformation policy this material was found to be defamatory. under s.1(2) of the Defamation Act 1996 and has been removed. The Defamation Act can be read at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/96031--a.htm#1

Please contact admin@shoerepairer.info if you have any concerns about this statement.

In accordance with our deformation policy this material was found to be defamatory. under s.1(2) of the Defamation Act 1996 and has been removed. The Defamation Act can be read at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/96031--a.htm#1

Please contact admin@shoerepairer.info if you have any concerns about this statement.

Sorry Chaps as you can see I have had to delete most of the content in this topic, we simply cannot as an on-line publication use words like "crap" etc and point it directly to a company.

With sensitive topics like this (in the eyes of the maker of the products) we have to discuss them in a professional manner to avoid any legal action & to maintain the creditability of the shoerepairer.info

Wordings have to very carefully chosen on such subjects.

Lee

Now then chappies, after reading what is left of this topic may I bring you attention to the following,

Many of our recognised high quality branded footwear companies recognised by the repair trade as being top quality Goodyear Welted manufacturers also have the ability to produce footwear of a Moulded / Bag Lasted / Insole Stitched / Cemented construction.

As sales of traditional welted footwear fall to levels whereby the company profitability and future are jepardised alternative styles and constructions have to be looked at with the view of raising the profitability levels and thereby appeasing shareholders (not in all cases).

If this means bringing in lines from other manufacturers at a rate more competative than your own workforce can match then that is what they have to do, they have a duty to shareholders to obtain the maximum profit.

No reputable manufacturer will market goods that could be described by the public or trading standards as "Crap". That is an emotive word and a personal viewpoint (used also by myself on justifiable occsions) on a particular style of shoe that is not intended to be direct replacement or copy of a Welted Shoe.

Many shoes made in Italy and on the continent are made to standards very different from ours as the climate is different. Lighweight constructions for a warmer climate may suffice in Italy/Spain but why rubbish the shoes just because they are not what is normally produced by a named company.

I very rarely if ever have seen Goodyear Welted Footwear manufactured in Spain yet many thousands of holiday makers are very happy with their purchses each year.

It is not for us to sit in judjement on the quality but the customer, if they do not think that the shoes are good enough they wont buy that brand again.

It is not for us to sit in judgement on the quality but the customer, if they do not think that the shoes are good enough they wont buy that brand again.

Your wrong there Hugh, I feel I am very entitled to pass judgement one the quality of shoes on the market today. But I was very wrong to word it the way I did.

By the way for anyone wondering what I said....I mentioned a brand of shoe and called them crap, which they are (in my opinion)

But I forgot myself for a uk900 moment :oops: :lol:

It is not for us to sit in judgement on the quality but the customer, if they do not think that the shoes are good enough they wont buy that brand again.

Your wrong there Hugh, I feel I am very entitled to pass judgement one the quality of shoes on the market today. But I was very wrong to word it the way I did.

By the way for anyone wondering what I said....I mentioned a brand of shoe and called them crap, which they are (in my opinion)

But I forgot myself for a uk900 moment :oops: :lol:

Ditto UK,

It was my customer who brought to my attention that his high end quality brand of footwear were crap (read as poor quality) at £300 to what they used to be

Sorry Chaps as you can see I have had to delete most of the content in this topic, we simply cannot as an on-line publication use words like "crap" etc and point it directly to a company.

With sensitive topics like this (in the eyes of the maker of the products) we have to discuss them in a professional manner to avoid any legal action & to maintain the creditability of the shoerepairer.info

Wordings have to very carefully chosen on such subjects.

Lee

Its ok to make racial comments about Gypsys though :twisted:

the word gypsy, is a broad term, simular to manufacturer or independent repairer. It covers a broad range of people.

This is more a political/racist topic. not directed at any individual or company directly.

Whilst I agree that perhaps THIS forums not best suited for such a discussion I cannot delete EVERY topic I or others disagree with, just the ones which I am aware off that could lead to legal action.

Lee