Shoe Repairer Forum

frobanna stitcher

Hi wondered if you can shed some light on how to use a frobanna stitcher

Have been told it stitches upside down and grooves the sole too. Afriend has asked me about this and have no idea what so ever, the head comes off as well... he has been told it stitches slowley but great when you gey used to it.

Any help on this would be great

kind regards paul

Guest brentlee

Yes the Frobana stitches with the sole facing down and the upper against the long nosecone. It is pretty much impossible to stitch an upper with a frobana. there is a knife in the bottom which has a step and 2 edges. The high step is used to feed the shoe and the lower part knives so the stitching sits in the cut. there are 2 types of blades. 1 for synthetic and 1 for leather. You can use it by hand with the handwheel or some have a motor base. Stitch length is governed by a knob on the side of the head. If you do a lot of leather 1/2 soles (or 3/4 whichever you call them) they are great as you can get right back to the heel block. Once they are going well they are pretty much trouble free, but if someone who doesnt know how they work has been fiddling you may find it hard to time. My last one had had pins that were supposed to be removable welded in place. I have a manual and parts list somewhere for one. if you need parts or a manual let me know and i will dig up the contacts on your side of the world. Great machine and wish i still had mine. used to do 3-4 pair of full soles a day on one without issue.

cheers

Brett

Hey Brett

many thanks will pass this on to Joe, its a strange looking machine I like thw size of it compared to mine,( which takes up loads of room), its also easy to move around.

I look forward to him getting it going just so i can have a go on it.

It looks in mint condition and really clean.

kind regards paul

good description from brentlee, the only other consideration is when things go wrong as some parts are no longer available and those that are cost bucket fulls of money. the biggest drawback though is the cost of needles unless the machine came with loads, they are over £5.00 each - yes each as the needle manufacturers no longer make them in quantity

they are great when working and you will not get a neater groove and stitch, it looks just like the leather has been channelled and closed again.

Guest brentlee

Ill have a check at needle prices here. I am pretty sure i was only paying around 4-5 aussie dollars for needles. one thing to remember though that i forgot to mention and peter reminded me of. The needle is the awl, so they dont tend to break often, but when they do STOP immediately. There is absolutely no room for the broken pieces and you can do alot of damage quickly. The broken bits end up in the shuttle as it is on the bottom. PM me if you need manual or parts supplier. There was a good one in europe somewhere that had most bits including pins arms shuttles etc.

Peter, How did you go with the last? any word yet?

Cheers

Brett

• 5 years later...

I,ve just been lucky enough to capture a frobana from going to the scrapman. It seeems to be running well, as I have tried some leather through it, and it appears to be giving a good unbroken stitch pattern. But as I have no thread for it, and am unsure about threading the machine, I,m unable to say whether its fit for purpose or not. As complete novice to shoemaking, soon to be taught by a uk shoemaker though, I,m wondering where could I get any info on the threading, parts ect for it. thankyou