Shoe Repairer Forum

Customers own logo.

What do you guys charge when a customer brings in thier own logo/image to be be engraved on a Tankard/Zippo lighter or sign.

particularly when the image is bad and needs a lot of work done on it.

Minimum charge for us is £20 but that can alter dramatically with complexed logo's, multi coloured paint infill's etc. :D

• 1 month later...

casmate is an oldish but powerful program designed for printers and the like but to me it seems you can do much more with vectorizing, editing cutting and welding points but saying that i have never given gravographs programs much time. the other advantage is that you can export the finished article in many formats as well as being able to import several formats

I have been reading some other threads and on the question of price and profit I charge £60 artwork charge and then £8/10 per item, The artwork origination fee is fairly standard in the print/sign/embrodery game, Once they have there image on the computer we keep the file for them and they can come back any time and only pay the engraving. We get the £60 because most of the other shops in the 20mile radius stuggle to work out how to vector the original,

Profit is not a dirty word

So let me undertand, You are saying that every other trade is wrong, I have a print shop,Sign shop and an embroidery company we charge artwork setup fees of £60 for any logo work just like all our competition do.

You think that the engravers in the yellopages do artwork for free................................and you call me stupid :lol: :wink: :wink:

Oh and remember that the customer still has the option to just have a plain text done if there pockets aint deep enough, so many small to medium companys undervalue there true worth, after 10 years of scratching a modest income I saw the light and turned over a new leaf and started to value the services I offer and the last 10 years have been gravy, remeber there is always going to be somebody cheaper.

I am not the cheapest or the fastest but I dont want the customers who want it cheap and fast , I turn away about 30% of all enquires and spend 100% of my time with the "right kind of customers" You can be a very bizzy fool in any industry the secret is the go with the quality customers and send the cheapskates along the road to the bizzy fool on the corner

Firstly I ain't not busy fool, If somebody wants a Logo on a Zippo lighter, I can normally do the job in 20 minits. So I'm more than happy with my £20 quid on top of the Lighter.

I am good & efficient at what I do, thats what my business's have been built up on. 1/2 a million pound turnover last year, and a massive amount of that was engraving.

82% Profit :wink:

So don't come preaching to me how I should run my business. :evil:

Are you telling me, if a customer comes in your shop to buy a £25 lighter, which you're making £15 profit on & then wants a logo on it for an extra £20, making £35 profit for 20 minits work. That you would turn them away so you can serve the cream of your customers........

I would say that makes you a buffoon pal :wink:

I've served my apprentiship!, have you served yours? :shock:

Still very wet behind the ears, according to your first post.

Me think's I could run rings around you, & still take more money :lol:

Get good at what you do before you come banging on my door preachin.

But hey, what would I know I'm just a MEAT ROBOT :twisted:

No wonder your user names initials spells TITS :lol: :lol: :lol:

If we could head back to the original question for a moment

:wink:

I would normally charge £25 to create a logo, and then from £7.50 each time to engrave it.

This depends on how complex the logo is & what it's being engraved on - flat, round metal, glass etc.

Off you go again then Gents, round two....

:) :) :)

Why oh why do you try and bully so many people around , you asked what people charge and then go off on one !

calling me stuppid and a buffon ?

No wonder so many people only sit and read these things when UK900 gets all up in a lather , Read the posts, I told you "What I Do"

Not what you or anyone else should do ans as for me being a Bufoon and stupid read your own posts back to your self and put your dummy back in your pram. I never mentioned your income or your background You need to take a chill pill and learn to enjoy life, we can stand toe to toe and swap D & B all day but hey you asked the question , not me

What makes you feel that that was directed at you ? This is not your forum

you are only part of this and everything is not about just you and me, I was talking in a general terms, I am not getting at you personaly I was just saying, Im sure you are the very best at what you do but for god sake stop chewing people out, it will hurt this site in the long run ( remeber we can see all the other posts as well )

Be nice and stop biteing

Im sorry I got your back up but I wont be Driven over

So let me undertand, You are saying that every other trade is wrong, I have a print shop,Sign shop and an embroidery company we charge artwork setup fees of £60 for any logo work just like all our competition do.

You think that the engravers in the yellopages do artwork for free................................and you call me stupid :lol: :wink: :wink:

First of all, I didn't call you stupid, I said and I quote "Losing a sale down to pure greed is downright stupid"

But if the suit fits!

I didn't say every other trade is wrong, I never mentioned any other trade!

I'm sure in the embroidery, Print & Signage world there is a higher charge for setting up.

I'm in the Engraving trade.... And you can't get away with £60+ for engraving a Zippo lighter. Period.

Then at the end of your post you quote...."And you call me stupid"

I Didn't, But now you've got my back up :wink: get it!!

You say you turn away 30% of your customers so you can spend time with "the right kind of customers"

If you turn away 30% of customers on a daily basis in this industry your days are numbered.

You said "what makes me feel it was directed at me" Because you were answering my post. :wink: :roll:

You set a president for this post to go pear shaped, read it back to yourself.

Yeah I've had my fair share of run-ins with other members of this forum,

Thats because I'm always right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad your sorry for getting my back up,,, Apology accepted :smt008 :lol: :lol:

PS if you need any help engraving uk900's ya man.

Don't worry I won't drive over you either :shock:

Why oh why do you try and bully so many people around , you asked what people charge and then go off on one !

calling me stuppid and a buffon ?

No wonder so many people only sit and read these things when UK900 gets all up in a lather , Read the posts, I told you "What I Do"

Not what you or anyone else should do ans as for me being a Bufoon and stupid read your own posts back to your self and put your dummy back in your pram. I never mentioned your income or your background You need to take a chill pill and learn to enjoy life, we can stand toe to toe and swap D & B all day but hey you asked the question , not me

What makes you feel that that was directed at you ? This is not your forum

you are only part of this and everything is not about just you and me, I was talking in a general terms, I am not getting at you personaly I was just saying, Im sure you are the very best at what you do but for god sake stop chewing people out, it will hurt this site in the long run ( remeber we can see all the other posts as well )

Be nice and stop biteing

Im sorry I got your back up but I wont be Driven over

:lol:

Guest Iain Cheall

what a load of twaddle, uk900 you need to calm down mate i can't remember the last topic you posted in where you didn't start shouting at anyone who dared to reply. learn to debate without throwing insults at everyone. :roll:

Depending on the logo i start off at £10 setup fee and work my way up the price scale with more complicated designs.

a lot of what we charge depends on where we live down in the south you can charge more ( i have a mate in oxford who recently bought a chrome bone pet disc with 1 word engraved on it for £9.99) up here in the real world you can't charge £60 for a setup fee for anything because people would fall over laughing at you. I just did a celtic cross on a tankard and only charged £15 to set it up. Mind you i didn't try to clean the vectorization up just engraved it as gravo 98 did it. :wink:

17_celtic_1.jpg

Yeah Yeah what ever.

:D :D

I think starting a topic on prices is a big no no. Cus you've go the people who are fantasticly over priced (and one in this instance doesn't know much about engraving)

and lives in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks he's gonna get £60plus for engraving a lighter.

And the other who give everything away. :?

Unfair to say you can't remember a post that didn't end in a argument.

Read and see. Theres more good than bad by a long chalk.

I don't come on this forum for boring idle chit chat, I post with reference to the trade I am passionate about.

If I offend some people then so be it, it gives people like yourself summat to chaife about.

instead of replying to the post in the first place :wink:

Don't be a girls blouse, after all we're all big boys aren't we.

Guest Iain Cheall

i don't give everything away i charge what i can charge for the area of the country i live in.

the cross design was scanned : time 2 mins

the scan was vectorised using gravo 98 : time 2 mins

setup took 4 mins i charged £15 for it.

that works out at £225 per hour. Mastergrave only charge £10 :wink:

i also charged £30 to engrave it onto a tankard twice as well as another £10 for 4 lines of text added the cost of the tankard and vat and thank you very much 1 happy customer.

to put a simple logo on a zippo i would charge £10 for setup and £10 to engrave it.

as for your posts well your not offensive to any one you just show yourself up as a bad debater. if someone replies with something you don't like or agree with you start calling them stupid or a buffoon and highlight it in bold. You do post some good stuff here but let yourself down with your attitude to your fellow forum members.

and as for being a big boys here well i'm probably one of the biggest at 6'6" and getting on for 160kgs. you i'm guessing from your posts are a little man who shouts and screams to get himself noticed. :smt075 :smt064

Your way off Iain, I haven't mentioned what you charge at any time. Period.

I never mentioned the job you did on the tankard. Period.

Infact I think the price is good based on what you said.

You may be right in your comment that I'm a bad debater, But for the amount of posts I put on this forum, most debates are good.

other members get onto scrapes with members, particularly those who post on a regular basis.

I would help anyone anytime if I could, which you'll see if you read my posts.

Some replys are downright stupid and insult other members inteligence, It's then I get a little carried away :lol: :lol:

As for you threatening me at the end of your post, Telling me your 6ft 6" and 160kg, And putting threatening Emoticons.

I'm 6ft 2" and in good shape...... Not morbidly obese as your stats show. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So bring it on :twisted:

as far as I'm concerned this post is dead & burried.

Regards uk900 :smt006