Shoe Repairer Forum

key prices

Is this development by the Wholesalers / Manufacturers going to be of benefit to the customers, will the customers migrate in droves?

If so then now is the time to look at your own stall and ensure that any impact is minimal. Could you afford to lose a large part of one of your services? now is the time to make alternative plans. Sitting on Laurels hoping the inevitable doesnt happen is a sure way of finding oneself in big trouble if or when it happens.

They have seen the profits so who can blame them.

You are purchasing from abroad diminishing their trade, can you blame them?

The Repair trade will diminish sverely in a few years so where does that leave them, they have to find an outlet for their products and if you are not buying they will have to diversify or go under.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''the repair trade will diminish severely in a few years' :roll:

I've heard this so many times over the last 28 years it gets boring. Without getting into a lengthy debate Hugh, what has changed in the last couple of years that has brought you to this conclusion.

My opinion, based on my own sales figures, contradicts your statement and if anything, confirms my optomism in that the quality repairers will always take money and still are :shock: Especially on repairs :shock:

Keith

I hole heartedly agree with you there Keith. I'm fed up with people telling us that trade will dry up for shoe repairers in the next few years.

on what grounds can they possibly predict this.

I started in the trade in 1977 and it was being predicted then.

Theres a lot more to our trade these days, and shoe repairs for the modern outlets isn't the B & endall, although still very much alive.

In about 1980 there was a bit of a slump in shoe repairs. I was working for Timpsons at the time, and remember John Timpson himself saying shoe repairs are on the way out.

It was just fashion change & things turned around. :wink:

This summer for me has seen a big drop in ladies work, but I know as soon as the weather breaks :D

Very interesting and informative post there Hugh. I think the main worry is the retail price of these shoe's fitted with units. As the gents (mock grenson) shoes with moulded bottoms have been with us for a fair few years. And we get those in for repair often.

I think the key for survival lies with the youngsters.. They are willing to pay for expensive fashion shoes, and in my experience aren't shy to pay for a quality repair.

But you do have a very good valid point :wink:

Will the last cobbler to leave the building please turn the light off :lol: :lol:

This is why I started a previous post: "whats your business called" :wink:

Thankfully Hugh-be doesn't know every thing! :wink: I know he can't predict next weeks lottery numbers, let alone the ones next year or the year after!

My business is going from strength to strength, and as with all predictions I predict I will be earning more in two years time than I did this year. :P

Just a prediction of cause!

Lee

Very interesting post Hugh. I agree with some of what you say and it's based on fact. In my opinion, when you look back at the 70's and 80's, there really were too many repairers around and most of the businesses that went out of business was because of one of the following reasons:

They would not embrace key cutting.

They never grew out of the 50's and lacked the forsight to invest.

They were businesses built up on the 'Heel Bar' principal and the operators were poorly trained

Rents and Rates became so high that their businesses could not sustain themselves, mainly for the reasons above.

However, my machine sales business has increased steadily over the last 18 months, not declined. :D

There is no sign of it slowing up, even though we are in the midst of Summer :shock:

The fact that Si-Serve exist is good for business, keeps us on our toes :wink:

Most of the quality mens footwear manufacturers are reporting an increase in sales of their footwear. Based on the fact that the quality being produced by India and the Far East is crap :shock:

Only time will tell, but, as I've said, the quality repairer will survive, so make sure you're all as up to speed with the repair trade as poss and if you can't re-welt, see Tel :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith

I think it will be interesting to see what happen's when the glorious stiletto

goes out of fashion.

It is a good point about down sizeing shoe repair machinery for those with smaller units, to allow for other services.

I have a deep but narrow unit, and I find my finisher is miles to big (in the quieter summer months). Shoe repairs takes up 3/4 of the workspace but Engraving & key's are the bigger part of my business, especially in the summer.

It's a dificult one to call because as soon as the winter comes, my shoe machines are on all day, with 3 of us manning them.

But if what Hugh says comes true I for one would downsize to make more room for other sevices. 8)

Keith, I've got a power unit, with 3 units between the twin band scourer & the finisher which in total is 10ft 6". It takes up to much room but when we;re busy 3 of us can work on it at the same time.

If doom's day does arrive, I would have to create more room for other service's. My standard outsole stitcher takes up a ridiculious amount of room too :(

It's about time the machinery manufacturers took into account wasted space and change this space into something useable. Square footage in smaller units is expencive and inside a modern tin can called a Goodyear you have from memory 6 cubic foot of useless fresh (or contaminated) air.

Shelving units inside could hold excess Key blanks or any typs of stock reserve. Access would then be from the back or side panel by means of Durst fasteners.

When you redesign your finishers to take into account smaller units / smaller turnovers put the rough Scouring Band at the opposite end from the Trimmer, this way 2 people can work on it at the same time.

Utilisation of premium space is of the Essence La.

Yes I know you have a small Finisher but there was not enough input from the trade user for multiple (more than 1, not multiple shops)users.

A machine that is small and used in a 1 man unit is going to be a different animal than a small machine used by several people. A 1 man band needs everything together to minimise foot and leg movement, this would be a hinderance to a team operation. Bench/Press on the right, then the Rough Band the Trimmer, working right to left for a multiple user. Left to right for a single user. And while youre at it stop making them like Sguare Biscuit Tins, give us some shelves / recesses to put the Paints / Inks / Glue etc. so that they dont get filled with dust.

Hugh, you'll be surprised what can be achieved at the moment with the 750sp and the 700pb, it's only 1.6 mtr and can have a rack above to utilise the space there. You better than most know that, to bespoke every machine we make would make it so expensive that no bugger would buy them!! It's hard enough getting some of you to buy a £5000 reconditioned finisher, let alone a bespoke unit :shock:

UK900, your stitcher can be replaced for a much smaller one if you want to spend some money :lol: We normally have a solution to most customers problems, all you need is to talk to us and we'll do what we can to assist.

Keith

A Bespoke machine would not be a Bespoke machine if you made them all the same (user friendly) or rather 2 versions. And yes I do know what goes into those 2 models that you have.

I had a Goodyear Head mounted on a Bench in 1958/9 drive was via a belt to a motor controlled by a Reostat pedal. So long ago though I cant remember it very well.

118_hihorse_1.jpg

Of course it was relevant to the post, it wouldn't have been funny if posted in any other section. Don't be so rigid :lol:

Top stuff UK900! :lol: :smt005

After all, Us shoe repairers have a great sense of humour..... ....... ...

haven't we :?:

118_hihorse_1.jpg

Of course it was relevant to the post, it wouldn't have been funny if posted in any other section. Don't be so rigid :lol:

Top stuff UK900! :lol: :smt005

After all, Us shoe repairers have a great sense of humour.....

haven't we :?:

Get your yourself aquainted with the rules of engagement before making comments like that. This THREAD (that means the Topic) is KEY PRICES

I am guilty as are others of posting drivel that has nothing to do with KEY PRICES and should be under Shoe Repair Machinery section where it belongs.

Of course it was funny, but it was more funny to you for a particular reason wasnt it.

You, Me, and everyone else have to keep on course by posting under the relevant Topic otherwise there is no point in having separate sections, we might just as well have a free for all.

Now be sensible and keep to Key Prices. We can have a laugh whether it is at my expence or yours by posting in the correct section, it has nothing to do with High Horses but common sence and protocol.