Sign in to follow this  
kobblers

Forum Charity - PLEASE READ BEFORE ADVERTISING

If anyone buys something that is sold through the forum where a promise to is made to donate to the Forum Charity (Jimmy Mizen fund), would you please be good enough to inform me as I keep reading about donations to the Forum Charity but I rarely see any donations made when I check on the Virgin Money giving page.

If people are capitalising on the forum and not donating when they say they will - shame on you. I'll be keeping an eye on any sales made in the future and anyone culpable will be named and shamed and will risk having their account suspended or deleted, including all known I.P. addresses.

There are a few people on here who regularly sell through the forum - we don't mind the odd one or two sales but if you're going to treat the forum like your own cash cow then you're going to be in for a surprise.

Rick.

It won't be going on any longer, Mr Bargy. This forum is meant for us all to help each other out, not for some cheeky recidivist to profit from.

To add to my first post - if anyone has purchased in the past 3 months, where a donation has been promised, please let me know what you bought and the value.

Rick.

If people are doing that then they should be banned for life - it's disgusting using a charity to make money for yourself.

This is the type of thread that should be banned.  Just created an account to sell their stuff.  Id delete this and ban them right away.  If they want to advertise £20 donation in advance.  take no prisoners :-D

12 hours ago, abababa said:

This is the type of thread that should be banned.  Just created an account to sell their stuff.  Id delete this and ban them right away.  If they want to advertise £20 donation in advance.  take no prisoners :-D

I've approached the owners with a view to solving this problem - leave it with me and I'll see what we can come up with as we don't just want to ban people.

Rick.

From now on, any post created for the purposes of selling will have to be approved by the Admin and Moderating Team. This is to stop people using the site purely for profit.

Any new members or accounts created (i.e. members who have joined for less than 12 months and/or not contributed at least 20 times to forum threads) will be required to pay an up-front donation of £20 to the Jimmy Mizen Fund before your advertising post will be approved. A link to the forum charity is https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-display/showROSomeoneSpecialPage?pageUrl=ShoeRepairerForum

Any current members or accounts are allowed to advertise for free, as long as they have been a member for at least 12 months and contributed to forum threads at least 20 times. They must guarantee that they will donate to the fund once the sale is complete. Anyone contravening this will be warned once and then banned for any further infractions, on top of being named and shamed.

Rick.

Why not make all users pay to advertise say £5

If you sell on eBay you pay and as this is a dedicated trade site surely would e worthwhile  

Yeh! I see that but once in a blue moon I get asked to promote stuff, if a geezer has popped his clogs and the family need to get rid, or some old git gives up and decides to be a lazy git - would I then have to pay to do them a favour?

32 minutes ago, Mick Friend said:

Yeh! I see that but once in a blue moon I get asked to promote stuff, if a geezer has popped his clogs and the family need to get rid, or some old git gives up and decides to be a lazy git - would I then have to pay to do them a favour?

Quote Any current members or accounts are allowed to advertise for free, as long as they have been a member for at least 12 months and contributed to forum threads at least 20 times.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:45 PM, abababa said:

Dear ababada 

I did not realise upon joining that a donation was required, which i apologise for and I have since becoming aware made a donation immediately after realising I should.    It would be nice if people like yourself were not so quick to jump up and assume nasties about other posters and claim things about them that arent so as you appear to be doing here, with me. 

I am not in the habit of not sticking to my word, nor not doing the right thing or, if a requirement is needed, agree by saying yes  then skipping out on it. .  If I have unintentionally done something i should no9t have as is the case here, I have rectified it as soon as I was made aware, and realised.  Whilst I need to sell things  I wanted the things I have been left with to be sold to people who would actually value these things and put them to good use.  I haven't sold anything whatsoever yet.  

Perhaps you,  ababada, would think about why some people need to sell their stuff in the first place....whats their story?.....other than in your opinion trying to make a quick buck on the sly and weedle out of not donating to a deserved charity when that's a requirement of selling......the background of this stuff for sale was The other director of this family company  strategically personally bankrupted, resigned as a director 2 days before payday, in addition to  forcing  the company in thousands of pounds worth of debt. Also  removed thousands of pounds worth of equipmenmt and cash to tide himself and the employee and his kids and family over whilst they set up another shop in the same town doing the same thing.  Why?. simply to punish and effectively rob me of a share in the business that I was willing to sell at a reasoable price that he did'nt want to pay.  That same director  has happily abandoned  5 minor children, left me to clean up a  deliberately shiprecked company that was running for decades, simply to ensure as he has said himself that his children and the mother of those children would be left with nothing. He's already opened up another shop a stones throw away  forced  me to loose my job,  and thinks £20 a week is enough for 5 children to live on and the food from the foodbank  will last forever and isn't really nessesary as they dish it out willy nilly to anyone and theres no cutbacks there at all.  To cut a long story short I am now in proper legal posession of whats left and unlike some people in this world, am acting with integrity, to repay the biz debts and hope there is some money left over which is not guaranteed but the best shot i have at this time whilst I find another job......after paying legal fees etc etc. 

I'm not familiar with this forum, and the way it runs, and I apologise when I offended anyone by not immediately donating, I should have read the guidelines properly when I joined rather than speed reading them and that's absolutely on me. I did read some of the posts before I put mine up to see if it was the kind of place to sell these items, which it seemed to be.   I was at the time very happy to have found somewhere that appeared knowledgable, friendly,  locksmith orientated and had a selling area, because I wanted the stuff to go to like minded  people.   Perhaps try not to be too quick to tar everyone with the same no integrity brush  next time...... and think they're just wanting to run off with the profits and to not donate to charity when its a requirement of selling and must be agreed to.  If i'm lucky enough to have left over anything or any reasonable amount then I will happily donate over the minimum amount again as \i have just done as a thank you.  I'm well aware of dealing with people with a lack of integrity.......doesn't mean we all lack it,  ababada.  

Hi,

The donation before advertising for new members was only brought in on Friday, about a week after you made your post Lottie. There have been many people do the same thing in the past, and as far as I am concerned you have done nothing wrong.

The new rules have not been brought in specifically because of your post, but because we are noticing more and more people creating an account to try and sell their stuff for free. They then promise a donation to the charity once they sell their items, but it is not donated and we never hear from them again... something which is beginning to irritate long term members of the forum and hence the introduction of the new rules.

Lottie has now made a generous donation to the Jimmy Mizen charity, and we should all draw a line in the sand and move on.

I wish you all the best Lottie and I do hope you sell all of your locksmith equipment and get your situation resolved.