Sign in to follow this  
JaySpencer

Gluing Vibram soles On Doc Martens

personally if i was going to glue doc martins i would not use 5050 ,the best was the foss8016 or the gripsotite pta as these seem to be no longer available then the chocie is either syntac total ,multicol  colle de clogne or 5050 my prefered choice is multicol ,never really been over keen on any bostik adhesives

11 hours ago, Flash said:

I don't remember being offensive to anyone, if I have offended anyone I apologise, I just don't believe fitting a pair of Vibram units to a D.M.upper is a very good D.I.Y project.

If the D.M. have little value then by all means give it a go. My advice remains the same, if you value your D.M. then seek expert help.

It wasn't you mate it was Tom D who got offensive.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, JaySpencer said:

I can see from searching around that superglue as a primer and bostik 5050 is recommended, I've already peeled the outer soles off so its a bit late for forewarning, if i screw it up ill be glad i gave it a shot anyhow, ill try this and if i can't get hold of the bostik perhaps a more general contact cement. Im a trainee mechanic, nothing to do with cobbling but I'm used to using my hands.

Im not trying to cheapskate anything or avoid paying to have them fixed, as said I visited the cobbler with every intention to pay him for resoling them, I assumed when he said that they can't be fixed it would be the same for all cobblers local to me as even I understand that the way they're constructed is a bit unconventional.

If anyone has any actual tips instead of unjustified anger and fear of sharing knowledge of a trade it'd be appreciated, if not i'll try it anyway.

I googled shoe repair forum, not the angry cobbler forum, if this isn't a place where an honest guy can come to seek a bit of advice, then whats the point? Might as well be called 'cobblers trade secrets'. 

DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE.