#1 Dickie

Dickie

5+ Poster: New user

• Trade group users
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWallsend

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

Any one know about the new service where you give your customers a card with your account number on
The customer contacts glenway directly to order and they will dispatch the trophies fully engraved to
“Your “customer in 24 hours ?? Sounds a bit weird to me

#2 Mr Bargy

Mr Bargy

Argy Bargy

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

Attached File  download.jpg   8.15KB   3 downloads

• Dickie likes this

#3 Dickie

Dickie

• Trade group users
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWallsend

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

Might as well just send them my customer database

#4 paul@pnc

paul@pnc

200+ Poster : Intermediate user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

I couldn't believe that myself this morning! Why on earth would we want to do that?

However, customers of theirs that don't do engraving (sport shops, gift shops etc) will love it so basically Glenway are trying to cut us engravers out!

• Dickie likes this

Cobbler, key cutter, engraver and small time supplier of repair materials.

#5 Dickie

Dickie

• Trade group users
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWallsend

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

How they going to get say a 500 trophy football club order out in 24 hours fully engraved

#6 Danny King

Danny King

500+ Poster: Advanced user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

Nice way to create a database......
Turnover is Vanity .... Profit is Sanity

#7 cobbcas

cobbcas

50+ Poster: Established user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

My Customers will be directed to option 1 Me!! & Option 2 Me!!

#8 B.C

B.C

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

How do we know that all these trophy suppliers catalogues don't get customers direct?

you only have to google the name on the front of any and get the wholesaler.

#9 Matty

Matty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

This is a blatant change from wholesale to retail and the 30 percent is just a cover up or a carrot in year 1 which will stop in year 2. For any engraver or trophy shop who use glenway its time to make a stand. Its time to stop lining their pockets and look after our trade. Engraving Trophies at our shops stops the likes of amazon/sports direct entering our market place. If glenway are successful then the trade for trophy shops and engravers could be no longer within a few years...
  • kobblers, CDTL, Dickie and 1 other like this

#10 Lee

Lee

5000+ Maximus Elite super, super user.

• Trade group users
  • 7,296 posts
  • LocationEast Coast UK

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

It’s my understanding that even if a customer doesn’t have your discount code but finds the website by chance (bear in mind they have the funds to push it to number one in any search if they get it right) the nearest account geographically get the 30% (only independents not Timpson, is what I’ve been told) this for someone like me who tries hard but never breaks it online could mean I’m earning more out of trophies than ever before without so much as lifting a phone. I will be the shop window and promote on a local level. From my point of view it could be one of the best things to have ever happened to my business in recent years.

#11 paul@pnc

paul@pnc

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think Glenway need to explain in more detail how it works. I had no idea the percentage rate they gave or that they would give the business to the nearest account holder if they end user finds themselves to their website.

That said it still doesn't sit well with me, i'm still not convinced!

Cobbler, key cutter, engraver and small time supplier of repair materials.

#12 GlossyEng

GlossyEng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

Do I understand that the UK’s largest trade supplier of trophies is openly saying that they will control, market and fulfill a website that will be ‘One of the UK’s top-ranked online retail suppliers of Trophies & Awards’? And with their own staff end-user customer facing? What??? Glenway will own all the data/contacts and be free to use them whenever they want to and they’re openly saying that they will be using Google and Social Media to market it which means they will communicate directly with end-users – hope there’s some stringent NDA’s in place to cover the legalities. Online retailers will have the ‘Welovetrophies.com’ retail site competing next to their own as they have obviously budgeted to get it to the top of the rankings, are they going to use Adwords? Scary. They’re even using social media to say that they have/will be using some sort of current affairs TV programme as part of the launch. Why would small shops want to drive customers online where the competition is much stiffer in terms of discounts? Are they now going to start marketing and exhibiting at all kinds of end-user places under the banner of ‘Welovetrophies.com’ and legitimising it as acting on behalf of their customers? Glenway is known to be supplying directly to many organisations so this doesn’t come as a surprise, the bigger guys will have rumbled all this as a blatant attempt to control both the trade and retail market, I hope the trade including us smaller guys stick together and stop supporting them.

• kobblers, paul@pnc and Dickie like this

#13 Lee

Lee

• Trade group users
  • 7,296 posts
  • LocationEast Coast UK

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

I think Glenway need to explain in more detail how it works. I had no idea the percentage rate they gave or that they would give the business to the nearest account holder if they end user finds themselves to their website.

That said it still doesn't sit well with me, i'm still not convinced!

Its all on the inside cover of the trade pack.

• paul@pnc likes this

#14 Count Muppet

Count Muppet

1000+ Poster: Expert user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

I won’t receive the trade pack so won’t know the full details but from what I read...
Glenway are basically saying that in order to carry on trading they’ve decided to start selling direct, but for now they will help out those who have been keeping them going.
Yeah, they are doing this by stealing your regular customers but I’m sure they’d get them soon anyway.
People always shop around, they are bound to come across them.

#15 Lee

Lee

• Trade group users
  • 7,296 posts
  • LocationEast Coast UK

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

I don’t see them as stealing anyone, your regular customers will still be in and we can compete on engraving and service, but I see it that they will be bringing us new income that we currently lose to online stores, this will be welcomed by me.
If for any reason I see them closing the door on this most generous offering or it not working in real terms I like anyone would look for other suppliers but for next year I think it will work well for us (small people with no online means of selling trophies)
  • k4mrc likes this

#16 GlossyEng

GlossyEng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hi Guys

Interesting thoughts, here’s more to consider:

·   Glenway have no interest in lining our pockets, they only want to have the customer data (and sale) which they will own and control for the long term. Once you lose that customer, you will never get them back.

·   They are already taking orders from existing trade customers, what makes us think that this strategy is all about making sure that we get a commission? Over the past year or two, they have not been going back to their customers to tell them that they are now servicing the order and offering any kind of commission. There's no way of knowing what inquiries they will be having and where they've come from or whether they have serviced the order themselves - that's what happens when one organisation looks to control the whole retail/trade landscape.

·   They’ll be using digital marketing and social media to persuade end-users to go online - in a year or two, our existing or potential walk-in customers will be their customers, that’s the obvious aim and there will be nothing we can do about it.

·   What if all the other trade guys follow suit? There will be nowhere for us to buy at trade level. The other trade guys are already up in arms about the move as it’s a direct threat to them. If I believe what I’m being told, this could end up being a huge mistake on their part but the damage to the retailer will be done.

·   The bigger guys spend a lot of money with people like Glenway, if they are openly willing to take them on in the online battle as a seemingly valued and loyal customer, what makes us think that we play any part in their future plans? There’s already talk of many of the medium-bigger guys already jumping ship to other suppliers. Remember, Glenway doesn't like having 1000's of small accounts which end up owing them money for up to 90 days+, they would rather deal direct to get a better mark-up and be paid when the order is placed, don't think for one moment that this strategy is designed to grow our businesses in any way.

·    Take the point about free engraving but we’ve got to realise that the big boys spend a lot of money with people like Glenway and get much better deals which means they can offer bigger discounts, it’s economies of scale I guess, there’s no such thing as ‘free’ engraving, we all know that.

·    Try contacting Glenway to vent your concerns, good luck with that one, any sign of dissent and senior staff have suddenly become 'unavailable'.

·    The Trophex show is going to be fun!

I really hope this is not a case of the turkeys voting for Christmas, let’s face it, this move is to further the aims of Glenway not the small retailer or the trophy and engraving industry at large,

• kobblers, ash, paul@pnc and 2 others like this

#17 Mr Bargy

Mr Bargy

Argy Bargy

• Trade group users
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

Here you go. These from Glenway. 100 Engraving plates £7.99 carriage. Could have gone in a small jiffy bag. Could somebody explain the mentality in this. If anyone needs any small items like a key you're stuck for i will be sending them out in a big box.................World's gone mad.

Attached Files

• kobblers and w12fod like this

#18 cobbcas

cobbcas

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

Another thought when you have a customer that wants to order 100 medals 6 cups & 2 Shields & 50 cups that need annual updates is Glenway going to collect engrave them & return to the customer only if the customer wants to pay £8 a box each way!!
  • kobblers, Dickie and GlossyEng like this

#19 CDTL

CDTL

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

Very sad Glenway have decided to do this will now only order from them if all else fails. Swatkins all the way now
  • kobblers and Dickie like this

#20 keithm

keithm

2000+ Poster: High rank user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

And where are Glenway to explain their decision?  :smt119  :smt120  :smt104

• kobblers and Dickie like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users