Shoe Repairer Forum

Supplier Price Survey 2017

Supplier Price Survey 2017  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all. To compliment the traditional price survey (what prices you sell products and services to the end customer at) which is being very kindly complied by SteelCityShoes, we thought it maybe a good idea to introduce a supplier price survey, so you can get a rough idea of the average price of certain items from a range of different suppliers.

This information will be available in the trade section only, so you will have to sign up to become a trade member if you wish to see the information.

If you could please let us know if you think this is a good idea or not, and if you would be willing to participate in the survey it would be very helpful. We will go with the majority vote of whether to go ahead with the survey or not.

We would basically give a list of the most popular products in all categories, and then if you purchase that particular product you would simply put in your buying price. We will collect all the data, and then give the average price for each product. You will then be able to use this information to compare to your own prices, and see how your own prices compare.

Would be very hard to do for shoe repair products as so many different variants of products.

Personally I think it is up to us to gain the best price/deal/service from our suppliers. Don't forget although we would all like to buy things as cheap as possible but the wholesalers are trying to run businesses too.

A wholesaler might give someone who buys 1000 items at a time a better price than someone who may buy in 10's. It may be an interesting survey but would be very hard to take it further with the suppliers as everyone's circumstances are different.

So for me....I'm not interested in this question being included....just my opinion.

I may have mis-understood this but I am right in thinking the new owners of the forum (suppliers themselves) would like to know what everybody buys, from where and how much they pay for it?

That's a hell of a good way of collecting data.

After you have given them all that information a rich prince from LaLaLand has left you a million quid. He just needs your bank details...

What's the problem?

They paid for the forum, it's their right to advertise and use the contents to help them boost their business.

It's likely to drop their prices, not raise yours

But it stops the Forum being impartial and probably why a lot of users no longer visit here anymore.

To be honest we have no interest at all in knowing people's prices. 99% of products that most people stock we do not supply, and the others such as key blanks and cylinders we already have fixed and very low prices on which will not change.

The poll has come from talking to a number of local shops who had suggested a supplier price survey, and it is something we said we would put to a poll to find out what everyone else thought.

As we stated earlier, we will make the decision based on the majority and we have no qualms either way of whether one is conducted or not.

Hi all. The results are in for the poll:

Yes - 54.84%
No - 41.94%
Maybe - 3.23%

As a majority of people have said yes to the supplier price survey, it will now go ahead.

If there are any products you wish to be included in the price survey please let us know below.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

strange that so many people would not want to know where the cheapest place is to buy products, i suspect a few of those votes are from suppliers who are afraid of superior competition.

But i could be wrong???? god knows i have been wrong before on more than one occasion. :)

I would be surprised if the were the case, hardly any of the suppliers to our Trade bother with this Forum, very annoying imho,  god forbid any of the sponsors actually got involved on a regular basis!

Except a few of us of course :-)

Suppliers have mutliple price discount structures dependent on your spending patterns.

When you spend big and pay your bills promptly negotiation is always the best way of lowering supplier pricing.

So my discounts are better than most but after 30+ years loyalty and a spend of over 60k a year you do get well looked after.

just lost the will to live after reading this

Graham is correct

if hes getting X from supplier Y at 0.25p and you are paying 0.99 for the same does it not tell you this is a awaste of time?

carry on!

Hang on a minute?

So the proposed survey arms us all with knowledge over who to buy from at the cheapest prices and you say it is a waste of time?

ok buddy

carry on!

When we issue the price survey, all answers will be anonymous and no individuals prices will be given.

The prices shown will be the average from all answers given, and will simply be in a format such as:

Product 1: Avg Buying Price £X
Product 2: Avg Buying Price £X
Product 3: Avg Buying Price £X

We have had a few suggestions on products people would like to be included. If there are any more please comment below.