34 replies to this topic

#21 Count Muppet

Count Muppet

1000+ Poster: Expert user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Maybe only people on here knew about it?

#22 grahamparker

grahamparker

4000+ Elite rank user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

Shoe repairing industry is dying a slow death and although there are some extremely talented repairers around (i don't include myself in that) in the lower income towns shoes are so cheap they are not repaired anymore.

Timpsons will end up dominating the industry if they aren't already.

We have seen a decline over the last 10 years of sales of polish, laces and sundries as well as the quality of shoes.

Long term i cannot see it getting any better (will be different for others dependent on competition) in the near future.

If it wasn't going to be such a massive ball ache getting my machines out of the shop i would probably have given up on shoe repairs altogether.

Look how Lee who i think is one of the best repairers around has had to change his plans and move into bike repairs to make ends meet.

Not all will have these worries but it will explain why so few people attend these shows and why they really need something special to attract people in.

• Lee, keithm, kobblers and 2 others like this
"You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't" - Bart Simpson

#23 Lee

Lee

5000+ Maximus Elite super, super user.

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,267 posts
  • LocationEast Coast UK

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

I agree Graham, mine is a tricky position of nearly killing myself off with the forum though!
I was spending too long with and on the site and took my eye off the ball.
Timpson opened 2 extra branches in Lowestoft bringing it up to 3 ( I guess they failed in wanting me out! Lol) and another independent came in too, every flea bites. I took stock and initially thought I needed to do something radical and started bikes which has boomed, but also I stopped doing the forum and refitted the shop and the net result is a continuing growth area in bikes but shoe repairs steadily regaining share because I'm on the ball again and doing jobs as fast as I can instead of spending half the day in the chat room and on the site.
My refit married the two sides of the business together and I'm having one of the best years in a decade. Things have changed for certain but I still see repairs as an important element and the show an essential tool.

Lee
  • kobblers, grahamparker, Tom D and 2 others like this

#24 Tom D

Tom D

200+ Poster : Intermediate user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

got tp agree with you lee , the days of while u wait repairs  have gone ( sometimes wonder how we used to do it), suppose I was younger , for me the way forward has been searching out decent customers with decent shoes, I remember ordering  pu tops by the 1000s , not to mention liecesters ? in fairness it the keys and watches that  pay the  bills repairs  is  just  in the blood , if people ask what do you do for a living , I answer  shoe repairer not key cutter watch battery fitter 

#25 SteelCityShoes

SteelCityShoes

50+ Poster: Established user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

I've just been looking at the American equivalent, the Annual SSIA Convention, and it seems like just that, more of a convention rather than a trade show. Competitions, seminars, product displays, SSIA news and elections etc. It seems a group discount for attendees is prearranged at a hotel.

Whatever the future for Cutting Edge, our show will always be smaller, but I think the SSIA are setting a great example of what could be.

On a completely different note – Lee: It’s great to hear things are going well and that you haven’t given up on the shoes!

• kobblers likes this

#26 marky1

marky1

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

would be nice to see other suppliers out of the trade, hand bags, merchandise  suppliers key ring suppliers different gift suppliers stuff different to whats on offer

• kobblers and cowers lane 583 like this

#27 Tom D

Tom D

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

you cantcompare the ssia show to the uk one  ? actually it no bigger than  the last one we had  , how do I  know  I went in 2014     its only distance that  makes them stay there 

#28 michael26uk

michael26uk

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

I personally think high street retail is on it's arse!!

Dependant on locality, competition etc.

I know of some different retailers in Cambridge city centre who are thousands down per week!!

It may come around again, there'e been a few peaks and troughs over the last 24 years I've been trading, just hope it gives me one last payday before I either shut down or hopefully make it to retirement age!!

• kobblers likes this

Quick Service Shoe Repairs
    Keys•Trophies•Engraving

#29 kirkybob

kirkybob

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

I attended was enjoyable would have loved to have met some of you but dont know what you look like. maybe next time red carnation in buttonhole lol

• kobblers likes this
old age and treachery defeats youth and vigour

#30 kobblers

kobblers

• Moderators
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

At one time you had to wear a badge with your name and company. That helped identify some people.

Rick.

• Lee and keithm like this
if i could make a wish, i think i'd pass, can't think of anything i need.

#31 hibsjo(SCO)

hibsjo(SCO)

2000+ Poster: High rank user

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

i was surprised that no badge making system on the front door

cutting edge down to a shoe string me thinks

carry on!

• kobblers likes this

#32 michael26uk

michael26uk

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

i was surprised that no badge making system on the front door

cutting edge down to a shoe string me thinks

carry on!

...or a Victore De Banke!!!

• kobblers likes this

Quick Service Shoe Repairs
    Keys•Trophies•Engraving

#33 Count Muppet

Count Muppet

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

What’s with all their names?
Shoe-string
Victor de banke
Fresh step

All the same company selling the same stuff?

#34 Tom D

Tom D

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

who knows your much esteemed leader  has the rights to mister minit ?  and lord knows who else ? nothing  personal ?

#35 SteelCityShoes

SteelCityShoes

• Trade group users
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

I attended was enjoyable would have loved to have met some of you but dont know what you look like. maybe next time red carnation in buttonhole lol

I was thinking that. It would be great to put some faces to the names. Come to think of it, I don’t know many people on here beyond their screen name, I wonder if anyone is my competition over the road 🤔😛
  • kobblers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users