Shoe Repairer Forum

Air compressor

I no longer do shoe repairs but in the shop we still use a Bambi silent compressor for the Adkins heat press and if it broke I would only replace it with another Bambi silent

Craig

We found there is a different range for Bambis the older ones which were yellow/burgundy were excellent but the newer grey/green ones you need to check the oil level frequently otherwise they end up seizing. We now sell another range which are proving excellent

I'm not sure about the one Peter suggested, but those oil free direct drive compressors can be LOUD in a small shop. I've only had experience with one (Stanley, I think), but if it started filling while a customer was in the shop, then you had to turn it off or you and your customer had to literally shout to each other.

If you could box it in or put it in another room there wouldn't be a problem though.

The Bambi Air compressor is excellent.

We have a 15 litre model in our WHB press bench which is now 40 year old and just works as it should.

The build quality must be good, as it has survived running 12 hours continuous twice in it's life, because it was left switched on with the drain tap open.

It was left to cool down, empty and renew oil and good to go. Apart from checking oil level, the only other maintenance we do is empty the receiver of any water once a year.

The Bambi Air compressor is excellent.

We have a 15 litre model in our WHB press bench which is now 40 year old and just works as it should.

The build quality must be good, as it has survived running 12 hours continuous twice in it's life, because it was left switched on with the drain tap open.

It was left to cool down, empty and renew oil and good to go. Apart from checking oil level, the only other maintenance we do is empty the receiver of any water once a year.

Once a year!!!!  Once a year!!! I have to do mine once a week.

the only other maintenance we do is empty the receiver of any water once a year.

I have to do mine once a week.

Are you saying that the receiver tank is holding water after just a weeks use?

If that is the case, something is not right, we see maybe only 250ml after a year or so of use.

There is (or should be) a long copper tube within the tank, which is attached to the outlet connection, this will siphon any water in the tank when air is discharged (blown down) to empty receiver.

Are you saying that the receiver tank is holding water after just a weeks use?

If that is the case, something is not right, we see maybe only 250ml after a year or so of use.

There is (or should be) a long copper tube within the tank, which is attached to the outlet connection, this will siphon any water in the tank when air is discharged (blown down) to empty receiver.

Seem to remember reading it is recommended to drain receiver once a week, I always have done. 

It is used in a humid place and does produce some water every time.