Shoe Repairer Forum

I posted a little while ago about needle guide I was trying to replace on my greuter stitcher kindly donated by a fellow member,,,I went into timpsons in Northampton today looked at their stitcher and it seems to have the same guide I need to fit to my one, I only know that it was a standard machine, not sure of the model number ,, can any one hazard a guess at the machine model so I can source some guides ,, I assume they all have the same equipment seems to be how timpsons rolls And i do know they only use standard engineers,,the only other info I have is the needle guide I have has a number 5 on it, all other needle guides I have checked have 47 to 50 on them , any how i better make some shoes sharpish!!!!

Yeah I checked a numberten stitcher looked super similar but locator pin holes were off however the one in timpsons in northamptonlooked exactly the same, is it possible to order just one to try ,,, is there any at standard in Kettering I pretty close I could go over sand maybe show someone??? I have needles already but they are 47 and above

Yeah I checked a numberten stitcher looked super similar but locator pin holes were off however the one in timpsons in northamptonlooked exactly the same, is it possible to order just one to try ,,, is there any at standard in Kettering I pretty close I could go over sand maybe show someone??? I have needles already but they are 47 and above

Why don't you call us and ask?

I would definitely call and ask ,, not sure what I'm asking for though, I think the convo would go like this ring ring ,,, hello standard engineering here how may I help ,,,,,,uhhh hello I'm looking for a needle guide ,,,,,OK what machine is it for ,,,,,uhhh greuter simplex.....OK what's that then ,,,,ummm an outsoler, goodyear stitcher,,,,I see we only do standard,,,,,,yeah but I see this one in timpsons and it looks the same guide as mine ,,, OK what machine is that,,,dunno a standard one '''''. No-one wants to speak to that guy ,,,,,,,although I am a fan of looking through the door round the back and asking people in the know when I have a part in one hand and cake and biscuits in the other '''''just a case of getting there...does anyone know what time they shut ,,I bet its 4.30 with half day on friday

I would definitely call and ask ,, not sure what I'm asking for though, I think the convo would go like this ring ring ,,, hello standard engineering here how may I help ,,,,,,uhhh hello I'm looking for a needle guide ,,,,,OK what machine is it for ,,,,,uhhh greuter simplex.....OK what's that then ,,,,ummm an outsoler, goodyear stitcher,,,,I see we only do standard,,,,,,yeah but I see this one in timpsons and it looks the same guide as mine ,,, OK what machine is that,,,dunno a standard one '''''. No-one wants to speak to that guy ,,,,,,,although I am a fan of looking through the door round the back and asking people in the know when I have a part in one hand and cake and biscuits in the other '''''just a case of getting there...does anyone know what time they shut ,,I bet its 4.30 with half day on friday

Well I only tried to help!!!!  You make assumptions in your post which are wrong, but Standard, K&B and Whitfield needle guides WILL NOT fit the machine you have.  I also see a hint of sarcasm, I'll be wary of helping you in the future, good luck with your search !!!!

I was just kidding around it wasn't aimed at anyone ,,,, no-one wants to answer questions for someone who doesn't know what they want in the first place was my point, when it was suggested in an also sarcastic manner that I should just call and ask!!!!!,offending people who are trying to help me is not my style so if you took it personally then I apologize to you countmuppet for being a muppet,I've already checked some other guides as I said before and the locating pins are in the wrong place, ask far as I know as long as I find a guide that has the locating pins in the correct vacinity then it would be possible to fit a 50 set or any other size needle and guide as long as the awl is correct for the needle, I'm sure that the holes are in the correct place on the machine I saw which was definitely a standard which definitely does not have an identity plate, I don't mean the guide looked similar I mean it looked exact in every sense of the word '''I already know that it wasn't a simple job tryingto find a machine that shares parts , I have been trawling through catalogues and talking guys in factory stores and to proffessional shoe makers for near on a year that live on a stitcher and have done for the best part of 40/50 years I have gathered quite a bit of info on what definitely won't fit but it seems that the count already knows

if you have the old part, can it not be repaired with some welding? must be some way or someone who would be willing to try and repair the old part, if it's already gubbed then its not like they can make it worse by trying. i had similar with a bike i had, every bike shop i tried said no way, got a friend who is in the process of trying something oput for me, if it doesn't work i haven't lost any more than what i already have, if it works then i am a £1000 bike up again

if you have the old part, can it not be repaired with some welding? must be some way or someone who would be willing to try and repair the old part, if it's already gubbed then its not like they can make it worse by trying. i had similar with a bike i had, every bike shop i tried said no way, got a friend who is in the process of trying something oput for me, if it doesn't work i haven't lost any more than what i already have, if it works then i am a £1000 bike up again

It's likely to be a cast part which is then hardened and it is unlikely that it can be welded.

I tried my hardest but it seems timpsons are now no longer fixing the machines they have ,, they are going to send stitching to a main centre,,,or so he says ,,, I asked him to Order me one and that's why he couldn't do it

I think I'm in Noo Noo land !!!

All the Timpson parts for their stitchers will come from us at Standard, if you really need one then you can order one from us?

There's a lot of help here but you need to read and take the help being offered!

For the record, Timpson are fixing stitchers in their stores, but there is no way a Manager is going toorder you a peart for their machine so you can try it, they have a system of ordering and it all as to be justified, however, that doesnt stop you from ordering the parts from their supplier, not that they will fit your machine, have I said that before ?