Shoe Repairer Forum

EU referendum

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A fair point Rick, but as a still potentially undecided voter, both sides make such compelling cases, and are so sure their opinion is right, how do you go about Sorting fact from fiction & making a decision?

The one thing I haven't seen anywhere is a balanced, unbiased comparison of both sides of the argument, everything is so polarised, it's hard to split fact from scaremongering.

To be honest, I've currently given up trying to make a decision, I will probably go with my gut feeling when the time comes.

its laughable that we can make a decision for our kids based on anything we are being told on the euro debate,

your kids will still go to school

they will still get a job if they want one

they will still get to see a doctor

in or out either way it will be the same old same old

you make your own luck in life (got nowt to do with euro zone)

can i throw a curved ball here what are we not looking at just now while this debate/vote is happening.......

police corruption

tory corruption

bbc/main stream media corruption

chilcot inquiry

the list is endless and has NOTHING to do with euro!!

carry on!

heres a different slant on the debate ,how many of you remember the ussr , to all intent and purpose it was a union of the Baltic states controlled and supported by Russia, now how many of you were happy when the wall came down and the ussr ceased to be and the Baltic states became independent , now some of those states now want to join the eu  to be controlled and supported by the eu which in effect is soon to become a union of European states controlled fro brussels  , I now ask the question why are you so eager to stay in the union of European states after all those years of being against the ussr the only difference I see between the two is one of communism against capitalism

A fair point Rick, but as a still potentially undecided voter, both sides make such compelling cases, and are so sure their opinion is right, how do you go about Sorting fact from fiction & making a decision?

The one thing I haven't seen anywhere is a balanced, unbiased comparison of both sides of the argument, everything is so polarised, it's hard to split fact from scaremongering.

To be honest, I've currently given up trying to make a decision, I will probably go with my gut feeling when the time comes.

I'm hearing that, a lot, Steven. What we need is less scaremongering and more honest, open and positive debate from BOTH factions.

Rick.

its laughable that we can make a decision for our kids based on anything we are being told on the euro debate,

your kids will still go to school - My kid's schools are struggling under the pressure of being forced to take in migrants who nearly all need translators. As a result, one of the schools, which my wife works at, has just cut her hours and also expects her to work some hours, for free, as loyalty to the school.

they will still get a job if they want one - Yes, a low paid one in this town as wages have been driven down due to a lot of the large companies here recruiting straight from Europe.

they will still get to see a doctor -  My lad has just had his jaw broken in an attack and the earliest he can see the relevant doctor for his injury is in 2 weeks and yet if you walk into our nearest hospital the waiting rooms are mainly full of Eastern Europeans and Somalians. I know this as I was there recently.

in or out either way it will be the same old same old - Not necessarily as we will have the power to make our own, unshackled or unrestricted changes to the systems that we don't like.

you make your own luck in life (got nowt to do with euro zone) - I don't agree as you can only do so much whilst under thrall to someone else's whims and diktats. ;)

can i throw a curved ball here what are we not looking at just now while this debate/vote is happening.......

police corruption

tory corruption

bbc/main stream media corruption

chilcot inquiry

the list is endless and has NOTHING to do with euro!! I agree with all of that.

carry on!

Vote out!

Rick.

That is still a majority out which differs from the polls/press/government figures. They all seem to be indicating we stay in.

Think they are in for a very big shock.

Everyone i have met has wanted out with the exception of my sister in law who is undecided. I still have yet to speak to anyone who wants to stay.

I don't think much of Boris Johnson. But he mentioned on TV the other day that the EU makes the UK impose an import duty on European footwear at 17% which he believes is the difference between a family being able to pay the rent or not. A little bit of research confirmed this duty to be true. So if this duty were to be scraped expect the repair trade to have to adapt to the cheaper prices of continental shoes on our high streets. This can't be good for our businesses or UK shoe manufacturing.

Well I've been an 'outie' for some time, but, i'm leaning more towards stay right now as i think the economy might struggle a wee bit.  remember, if we stay this time and give the Tories a chance to make some further changes, we can always opt out at a later date !  We don't have to quit now, althought both campaigns are suggesting it's now or never. I too am concerned about immigration, but there are many other arguments, Ilook forward to seeing a proper debate based on fundemental issues before I vote either way!

The UK can have a referendum any time it wants, so I think I will vote to stay for now and see how things go.

Just my ten pennies worth!

We won't be able to opt out, at a further date, though, Keith. This really is (from what I can gather, based on what's being said) a once-in-a-lifetime chance to decide the future of our country. Regardless, Cameron couldn't get ANY reform of real substance, even under the threat of us leaving, so I really don't believe he'll be able to negotiate anything if we vote to stay in, plus, we also have all of the other member states who have vetoed us time and time again whenever we've proposed changes that would work in our favour as a Sovereign State. We may think that we would be able to vote to leave at a later date but once we've been further integrated into the EU, it's going to be nigh on impossible to extricate ourselves from their laws and edicts.

I agree the economy MAY suffer a wee bit but just look at the state of the European members' economies and how much the Euro is crashing - I think if we stay then it's not a 'may suffer' but a guaranteed WILL suffer. No pain - no gain :)

I really do urge anyone with some spare time to watch the video I posted, earlier - it will give you an insight how Brussels really works and just how anti-democratic, controlling and secretive it is. It is not hyperbole to say that I really do fear for my kids' future if we vote to remain.

Good points, worth discussing, Keith. Now, if we could just get the MPs and Talking Heads doing the same instead of constantly trying to scare the pants off us.

Rick.

its never going to be a choice of voting to come out at a later date ,if they vote goes to the remain camp then once all the ho ha calms down you can bet your life we will be swept up in a wave to form the united states of europe being controlled from the mainland and once it starts to collapse like the ussr and they have stripped us bare watch the shit hit the fan

• 2 weeks later...