Shoe Repairer Forum

xmas rush job. no thanks.

My last customer seem insistent on me replacing the stem on his watch by xmas. I said please bring it back in the new year, I'll do it in a week or so . He said is it a problem with ordering materials in time. I said "it's under a week to Christmas, I'm not ordering jack shit". He then started to quabble and haggle about the price i had quoted (for a job I had even taken on!). It seems like Every year at least one customer tries to draw me into a last minute suicidal repair.

If I repaired watches........... which I don't.....and I had 200 pairs of thinsulate gloves to shift.......which I don't..........bearing in mind how mild it is for the time of year.................................. I'd have done it.,,,,,,,,, :-)  :-).............Could have paid for a bottle of scotch to sit by a log fire to save going out in the ice and snow in a pair of non grip north face hedgehogs with vibram soles...........Just saying!

What would you charge for stem and crown replacement?

I ask as I had a lady last week who wanted me to get a crown for her dress watch (worth about £50-£60 approx). I said I would need to take the watch apart to get details, measurements etc. so I would repair it whilst apart and put it back together.She said she had someone who would fit it for nothing if she got the crown.

I said I would also fit it for free but I would charge her for the parts and my time taking it apart and doing the research.

When I asked her why this person couldn't get the crown it turns out he runs a market stall every couple of weeks in town where he fits (cheap!) batteries (Chinese!), so I told her £30-£40 for me to get the crown then she can take it to him to fit for nothing!!!

Some people!!!

Normally I charge about £30 to supply and fit button and stem on most watches. Maybe £20 if the watch is cheap, or it is just a button and no stem required.

The customer in question had a police watch. He implied I had broken the stem three months earlier when I had done the battery. He then leaned RIGHTover me while I was dismantling the watch. ( All my repairs are done directly in front of the customer). I believe some of the old stem was stuck in the movement, the movement might have to be replaced rather than just the stem.( this needed further investigation, not going to get draw into that just before Christmas). I quoted him £30.( that should cover my costs if it does need a new movement) Ready in jan. He started quibbling about the price and time scale. He might or might not come back, don't really care either way.

• 1 year later...

Normally I charge about £30 to supply and fit button and stem on most watches. Maybe £20 if the watch is cheap, or it is just a button and no stem required.

The customer in question had a police watch. He implied I had broken the stem three months earlier when I had done the battery. He then leaned RIGHTover me while I was dismantling the watch. ( All my repairs are done directly in front of the customer). I believe some of the old stem was stuck in the movement, the movement might have to be replaced rather than just the stem.( this needed further investigation, not going to get draw into that just before Christmas). I quoted him £30.( that should cover my costs if it does need a new movement) Ready in jan. He started quibbling about the price and time scale. He might or might not come back, don't really care either way.

just a tip..if stem is broken and part of it is in movement, simply attach an extension stem and crown to it..15 min job £20..cousins and jevons have these 9-9 stem extensions for pennies..also stock box sets of stems and crowns for major movement brands like myota eta and ronda..must have for any repairer

A Customer came in mine at 3pm today (hence why I'm on here now) for a domed glass I don't have in stock. I ordered it just now and took there details if it arrives in tomorrows post I'll fit it and have the money by lunch time. If it comes next week I'm not here, which means one of two things. It will either go missing in the post or it won't, I allowed enough profit to loose the cost if it does go missing. If it arrives tomorrow my reputation for speed is intact.

You had 5 days!! whats the matter with you!

My last customer seem insistent on me replacing the stem on his watch by xmas. I said please bring it back in the new year, I'll do it in a week or so . He said is it a problem with ordering materials in time. I said "it's under a week to Christmas, I'm not ordering jack shit". He then started to quabble and haggle about the price i had quoted (for a job I had even taken on!). It seems like Every year at least one customer tries to draw me into a last minute suicidal repair.

and it that last minit customer who turns very nasty if anything goes wrong  adjusted a Michael coors

watch today  done loads as we all do the  pin woulndt come out bent  one link disintegrated  ffs hate this time of year

Boooooooom

Ordered at 3:45pm from Cousins arrived at 8:55am this morning!

I wish all wholesalers had a website and service like theirs! They are second to none!

Ready to leave the shop in 3 1/2 working hours!

In this day and age a customer stalled is a customer lost but a fast service is a reputation builder that your local competitors will be hard pressed to deal with.

I had run into a rut and was loosing market share in recent years because I was taking to Long over things last December I changed my mindset with the net result in the busiest year in years!

Two close to Christmas...... lol36F7C101-CBBA-4EF6-B08D-4D30A42BAEBA.jpegBDCD9165-77F0-4A1A-9275-62A282214210.jpeg

Might work with a glass, but a watch movement needs fitting and then I test the time keeping for at least 2 days before releasing to a customer.

I also find if you say to a customer,

" Your job might be ready tomorrow, if the parts come in in time, or it might be ready in Jan! " all the customer hears is, " Your job will be ready tomorrow! "

• 2 weeks later...