Shoe Repairer Forum

electricity consumption - finishing machine

So I have a Standard 3 phase finishing machine wired into my next door neighbours shop as i don’t have 3 phase in here. 

It's metered and the last meter reading was in approx September/ October time and the reading was 35 which i assumed was 350 units for a 2/3 months usage.  So today the reading is 80, which i assume is 800 units ... so that would mean that i have used 450 units of electricity over the last period of 4/5 months... Working this out at about 0.17p per unit plus vat that equals approx £90.00.

The finisher is on for, on average, about half an hour per day... 6 days a week (some days it isnt switched on at all and some days i can be working a couple of hours on it. 

My question is, do these figures seem right? Per day (minus Sunday’s) that would work out at about 4 units of electric per day for having the machine on for about 30 minutes..

Thanks in advance

So I have a Standard 3 phase finishing machine wired into my next door neighbours shop as i don’t have 3 phase in here. 

It's metered and the last meter reading was in approx September/ October time and the reading was 35 which i assumed was 350 units for a 2/3 months usage.  So today the reading is 80, which i assume is 800 units ... so that would mean that i have used 450 units of electricity over the last period of 4/5 months... Working this out at about 0.17p per unit plus vat that equals approx £90.00.

The finisher is on for, on average, about half an hour per day... 6 days a week (some days it isnt switched on at all and some days i can be working a couple of hours on it. 

My question is, do these figures seem right? Per day (minus Sunday’s) that would work out at about 4 units of electric per day for having the machine on for about 30 minutes..

Thanks in advance

I have 3 phase and have had for some 25 years, it is as cheap as chips :)

DO NOT change to single phase as a couple of friends in this trade I know have 'Silly' electric bills and would  be better off by at least £300-00 a quarter if they could change

Thanks for the reply... So i have just spoke to the spark that installed the meter and he told me that 80 on the meter means 80 units of electricity ... Is this possible?... Can 3 phase be THAT cheap? 

Thats means its costing about 0.07 - 0.08 p per day for about half an hours use? (half a unit of electricity?)

Thanks for the reply... So i have just spoke to the spark that installed the meter and he told me that 80 on the meter means 80 units of electricity ... Is this possible?... Can 3 phase be THAT cheap? 

Thats means its costing about 0.07 - 0.08 p per day for about half an hours use? (half a unit of electricity?)

a Big YES!

Hi guys...

Thanks for the replies

Its one meter.  It's a modern meter (a year old) so it would take into account all the feeds? (is there any way to double check this?)  The electrician who installed it said that it's definitely working correctly.

Im just looking at energy costs in general  https://blog.npower.com/2013/02/ever-wondered-how-much-your-appliances-cost-to-run/ ... and am struggling to reconcile how this could only be using 9p of electricity every half hour.  That being said, I would love it to be the case!