Shoe Repairer Forum

July 2013 - Digital or Dial?

Vernier gauge, micrometer. Digital or Dial?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Digital or Dial?

What about the 'traditional' direct scale options that some of us still use quite successfully?

We don't all need modern fandangled dials.... never mind digital displays.

....just a pair of good reading glasses!

edit:

..... or is that what you meant by none? I have taken 'none' as meaning not using vernier/micrometer's at all.... ?

What about the 'traditional' direct scale options that some of us still use quite successfully?

When, for example there is a problem with a key, it is essential to be able to use the micrometer with it's 0.1mm read out.

Can't do this with a traditional ruler!

When, for example there is a problem with a key, it is essential to be able to use the micrometer with it's 0.1mm read out.

Can't do this with a traditional ruler!

A traditional vernier, i.e. one without a dial or a digital read-out attached (no one mentioned a ruler?) is scaled to 0.02mm. reading between the scales (i.e. to 0.01mm) requires very little effort...

....and no bionic eyesight is required! Although, as stated, I do need reading glasses.... but then I would need those to read a dial, anyway.

Dials and digital read-outs are, IMHO, for people who have never been taught the basics properly!... It was one of the first things we were taught in metalwork classes at school...

The vernier I use looks exactly like this:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale