Shoe Repairer Forum

Just been sat wondering what one does to service the old shoe machine? new belt, new bag? I have no idea. So looking at the name "Standard" then the model & serial number, i contacted a company that services them and supplies parts, new and recon machines.

I was told my Standard 8500 in nice (not so shiny) red was basically obsolete and there was not much they do in the way of servicing it.

So i am now faced with a choice. Buy a new machine or carry on with this one till it packs in. All seems to be working fine on it, but with age you never know. I have no idea what these things are worth new or second hand, but I do know they wont be cheap.

Any suggestions as to which one? suppliers? or anyone selling one maybe?

Cheers

this is what I got from them................

Hi Graeme

We have no parts such as bags for the Standard 8500 as it has been an obsolete model for a number of decades now.

We could send an engineer to give the machine a "once over" but this would be restricted to checking it is safely functioning rather than replacing any parts. We do this under our "Healthcheck" banner where, usually we spend an hour or so going through the running of the machine and recommend any work we believe needs to be done.

In this case we may not be able to do this. We might recommend several things which cannot be done, simply due to the age of the machine.

If you still wish us to undertake a Healthcheck the cost will be £105.00 + VAT, payable via credit card on the day of the inspection.

Let us know how you wish to proceed.

hmmmmm

to be honest pay the money for a recon or if your flush then new ive done this for 30yrs i started out on an 8500 when i 1st saw a power unit i was amazed get a 700 you wont know yourself honest .now this comes from a man who bought hes 1st machine (whb 200) on 3yrs hp it went on for 12 years still miss it abit put your hand in your pocket dont be tight a good set up can take 2hrs off your day well worth it?

There are many things to consider when looking at machine options. Machinery has moved on over the years and although your 50 year old machine may be working reasonably well, it doesn't mean there may be advantages of running a new or recon machine.

Health is now a big consideration for many along with productivity. Modern extraction systems and tooling will often bring benefits to any business. What you have to decide is, can I justify the cost and the benefits it will bring, I know my choice, but it's your money.

Please feel free to visit us and our new showroom to see what we can offer in both new and recon, we may even buy you lunch! :D

Keith

I do understand what you're saying, but as i have only recently taken this business over, funds wont quite stretch to it at the moment. but in the future who knows. it will have to happen one day.

Well feel free to give us a call when circumstances are right and we'll do all we can to help :wink:

Keith

speaking of 8500s i remember emptying a dust bag on one me & my mate humped it out thorough the top it must have weighed at least 10 stone we couldnt get into the bin so we emptyed it in the back lane it must have looked like we were moving a dead body happy days

speaking of 8500s i remember emptying a dust bag on one me & my mate humped it out thorough the top it must have weighed at least 10 stone we couldnt get into the bin so we emptyed it in the back lane it must have looked like we were moving a dead body happy days

Just one of the idiosyncrocies of owning an 8500 :D