Shoe Repairer Forum

October 2010 - Time to have your say

Once again during October I throw open a topic for you to give your views & opinions on the site. Following last years topic we reintroduced the watch repairs section & this has proved very useful!

Its particularly important this year, because I have an on-going project with a total rebuild of the site, this is because the portal (home page, downloads section & everything around the forum!) is now obsolete & in time will pose some problems. I've tried so many portals I've lost count & so far still haven't found a workable solution. so suggestions of what you'd like to see on the site are always welcome.

Its also easy to think you're doing a good job, when in fact your not! so any criticism you may have on the running of the site will be taken onboard & feel free to voice your concerns.

Lee

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Skippy has a good point but maybee the introduction of a locksmith section

for members only might be a better way.

But this is a shoe repair site Graham! I think Skippy is right, there are too many 'price related' Q & A's for a public forum at times and this needs to be addressed, mainly on keys and their prices. It's difficcult enough for the mods to police the site without cost price related topics in addition :D

Keith

I disagree Keith, we are getting more & more locksmithing & auto topics as many shoe repairers are crossing over & many dedicated lock smiths enjoy the way our site flows without the affiliation boundries of belonging to a specific trade association.

We put in place the trade section which to view you have to join the trade group which is a closed non-public area which was the place for trade specific topics such as lock smithing & pricing. I've never been a fan of a zillion section forums as it becomes to confusing as to where to post what. is it time to re-name or re-section the trade section?

thoughts ?

Lee

The reason i suggested a locksmithing section is that quite a few members have asked questions

only a locksmith would know the answer to.

I have also been berated for trying to help other members as the public could view my response which

is a completely valid point.

If i can use any of my knowledge to help other members then surely that is what a forum is for and as

Lee said most shoe repairers cut keys,so with a little help they can advance their skills even further into

other markets.

I would never reveal opening techniques to someone unless i new they where a valid member.

all well & good, So how do we move it forward? Do I make the key cutting section TRADE only? do we use the trade section differently?

Personally I've never been a fan of making any of the main sections trade only section. I think a lot of members or even NON members can benefit from browsing sections without having to join the site, or may not want to give their personal details to a third party to join (even though most know they can trust me, many wouldn't know me from adam)

The original "ethos" of the site was FREE HELP & SUPPORT TO THE SHOE REPAIR TRADE making more sections restricted begins to alter the original brief.

Another negative of trade only sections, is search engines don't have access either meaning new members trade or otherwise might not find our site for the answers they are looking for.

I agree this needs addressing, but am not sure of the best solution that will work for the majority

Lee

Whilst I am not a mod, and wouldn't want to be, others do a far better job, I do police the site most of the time I'm on it. Making the key cutting section 'trade only' makes an awful lot of sense, because most of the 'pricing/cost issues eminate from there. It is important to protect the margins of any business, but we have to balance this with what is best for both the Forum members and public alike :

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but we do need some feedback before deciding the best way forward.

So, over to you Forum members :D

Keith

all well & good, So how do we move it forward? Do I make the key cutting section TRADE only? do we use the trade section differently?

Personally I've never been a fan of making any of the main sections trade only section.

Lee

Would it be possible to split the existing trade section into 2 or 3 sections for the sensitive topics? And keep the main section as is.

Ok, heres my Idea for the forum:

How about an advertising board down the right hand side of the forum pages for Sponsors to advertise Special offers: say about 10 spaces.

Such as 30% off Executive Leather Soles when purchased through this advert for the month of January.. this is just a sample.

Or FREE 5Ltr of 6092 when you spend £500 on repair materials.. etc etc.

Lee could charge a weekly rate for the advert which would help cover the sites expenseses.

I think it should be for forum sponsors only at first to see how it goes.

Thoughts !!

How about an advertising board down the right hand side of the forum pages for Sponsors to advertise Special offers: say about 10 spaces.

Such as 30% off Executive Leather Soles when purchased through this advert for the month of January.. this is just a sample.

Lee could charge a weekly rate for the advert which would help cover the sites expenseses.

Thoughts !!

Its a good idea but I dont think money is an issue so would advertising be distracting? The site seems to run extremely well so would it be worth changing anything at all?

Thoughts !!

Its a good idea but I dont think money is an issue so would advertising be distracting? The site seems to run extremely well so would it be worth changing anything at all?

yes it would, Lee puts alot of time into this place, and would be nice to draw a bit of a wage for it... besides, every sponsor will be wanting free advertising space, were as good offers will appear to cover small costs.

Most members are quick to tell me if there's a problem. But this topic is all about what works & what doesn't & how we can enhance the site, some of the best ideas haven't been mine. The october poll is really important because its the one time of the year when, in one topic I can get a feel for how the sites performing & what needs doing.

it is after all the members that have created the content.

Lee