Shoe Repairer Forum

i've used rst in the past no problems.

But have noticed certain metal products arent as substantial as they used to be.

Split rings for pet tags are only half as substantial as they were from the same suppliers for the same price.

Punches break easier.

and a new pair of pincers have already got more damage than the old ones.

Does the price of metal these days have anything to do with it?

I find it interesting when people compare prices/quality like this. It really does depend on the date of the prices that you're comparing. For example, if you're comparing split ring prices of 5 or even 10 years ago, surely you would expect to pay more or receive reduced quality for the same price? :?

Nobody likes to see prices go up whether you're selling or buying, but the truth is, sometimes there is no choice! :(

I find it interesting when people compare prices/quality like this. It really does depend on the date of the prices that you're comparing. For example, if you're comparing split ring prices of 5 or even 10 years ago, surely you would expect to pay more or receive reduced quality for the same price? :?

Nobody likes to see prices go up whether you're selling or buying, but the truth is, sometimes there is no choice! :(

It was from one order to the next :!: :!:

I havent got a problem with inflation but these split rings just arent good enough

Stopped buying copy cutters for my silca machines about 2 years ago as i had noticed they weren't

lasting very long at all.

Now i seem to be having the same problem with mortice cutters,i have 2 blade vectis machines and a silca lancer plus.The lancer is ok but the other 2 take the 750 side and face cutters and they are all crap.

Has anyone managed to find a stockist supplying a hardened version of this cutter?

About 8 weeks ago i fitted a new cutter and brass keys are starting to snag already,i know it all

depends on how many keys the machine cuts and type but i have not had a cutter going this quickly before.

just recently my cylinder machine cutters don`t seam to be lasting long they are RST cutters on a retro machine anyone esle had broblems and what is the best cutters ?

totally agree with you on this, have been getting through cutters like nobodys business recently,is it because they havent been hardened properly???. like gav said, we got silca original now, and seems a bit better.

Guest Lock N Safe Buddy

Had loads of probs with the RST mortice cutters, I think they are not hardened enough. For brass they are OK, but my last one only lasted 16 steel keys! I only use gen Silca cutters on other machines and they last yonks.

The original yellow blades were good but the silver one's are made of bloody chocolate.

cadbury's cutters :lol: :lol:

what do u guys do to your cutters as far as cylinder goes i bought a silca bravo nearly 2 years ago and must have cut well in excess of 10000 keys and still not changed the blade and it still cuts great.

craig

i've noticed this too! i've been getting through loads of cylinder cutters over the last 12+ months, rst are a waste of time. the original silca one's are better but dont seem to last 5 minutes either?!

over in our other shop we've still got the original cutter on that machine (keyline quattro) and its still as good as new & about 3 years old???????!!! :roll:

• 1 month later...
Guest Stuart Elsom

RST cutters are manufactured by a factory in Europe. The high speed steel which we use comes from reliable sources with full traceability. During manufacture our cutters are heat treated using strictly controlled vacum hardening and tempering furnaces. Hardness is measured in both Vickers and Rockwell C scale hardness.

RST cutters have been supplied by the same factory for over five years now. In our experience the life of a cutter can vary massively due to the type of material being cut. If you are cutting both steel and brass on a machine, which most poeple will do, then the life of a cutter can be reduced do to the different properties of the material being cut.

Other factors that need to be taken into consideration are the manner in which the key machine is being used & the source of the key blanks being cut, with many hard steel keys coming from the far east.

I felt that I should reply to some of the comments made about the RST cutters. We sell thousands into the trade over the year with no problem. Please give consideration to the fact that it is not just the cutter that can be at fault, it may also be the key blank or maybe the operator. Stuart (C.O.Tilney)

Ok operator error : i personally have been cutting keys for nearly 30 years and in that

time i have cut well over 1 million keys so don't agree with you on that.

As i mentioned in an earlier post i have 2 blade vectis machines manufactured by fotheringhams on

the isle of wight and have had these machines nearly 30 years.They are so much better than any

other machine i have ever come accross but the rst 750sf cutters are NOT as good as they used

to be.The keyblanks have changed one hell of a lot over the last 5 years and are softer now than

they have ever been so not sure if that causes the problems.

When cutting brass keys they are great but after a couple of 100 keys they start to loose

the edge and then they seem to blunt off really quickly.

I have in the past had some blades that had a gold finish and they did seem better but

cannot seem to find any more of these.

I have just taken delivery of 4 new cutters marked RST TMC 7513 and will be fitting 1 of them today

so i will repost when it starts to loose its sharpness.

Great to see suppliers taking an active interest in their products.

Guest Stuart Elsom

The cutter that I think you are making reference to is the TMC7513T, which is the standard 750SF design with side and face clearance but coated with a "gold" titanium finish. We have had a lot of success with this version as the coating certainly prolongs the life of the cutter. You should be able to get one of these from your normal supplier. If you have trouble getting hold of one, then please let me know. I would be interested to know what you think of the cutter as well.Stuart (C.O.Tilney)

We have simular problems with the cyl blade on the dual/101+ machines. We get the blades from SKS and there rubbish and there aware.

The original yellow blades were good but the silver one's are made of bloody chocolate.

Anyone know where to get these.

We have heard your comments on these cutters and from other customers as well and in around 6 - 7 weeks time should be stocking the GOLD cutters again for these machines :)

Slightly higher price, but obviously worth the difference :)