Sign in to follow this  
bristolcobbler

music license for shop

Or tell em to F**k off, and throw the radio in the bin.

I was nice to him aswell,normally i would have done.

I'm still waiting for them to call me....................we have the wireless on full volume :lol:

Thats how he caught me,he was checking up on hairdressers and as i've a few near me he was just passing by. Even though the volume was low my machines were off.

best thing about prs is after you pay them the other tossers call you chasing even more money! PPL are after you as well - so at this stage if you pay your 60 quid they will want something near 300!

There is no standard definition for public broadcasting,
WHOEVER visits calls or speaks to you, you MUST tell them you are not making a public broadcast but a private one. Ask THEM to define what is a public broadcast IN LAW.

FROM PRS

Is a PRS Music Licence required by law?

Yes. The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 means that if you use copyright music in public, you must first obtain permission from every writer or composer whose music you intend to play. In the UK, we represent these copyright owners, so a PRS Music Licence gives you the legal permission to play just about any copyright music in the world repertoire. A PRS Music Licence is required regardless of the ownership of any other type of licence.

you must first obtain permission from every writer or composer........... NOT the PRS

FROM PRS

Copyright legislation does not define what a performance in public is.

Until the legislation is verified its how you interpret "public" REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT MAKING A PUBLIC BROADCAST, ASK THEM TO SHOW YOU THE CORRECT LEGISLATION BEFORE PAYING OUT..

If you've had several calls & visits mention "harassment" along the way!

Lee

[you must first obtain permission from every writer or composer........... NOT the PRS/b]

impossible, and unobtainable spring to mind. but thanks anyhow

I thought that all this had gone away it's been so long since we've heard anything about it, but yesterday we got the call. Nothing was said about a visit, just that they will send a form through for us to fill in stating how many people come into the back room were the radio is.

The boss is a bit annoyed as the service charge he pays must include a contribution to the license for the radio station that's blasting out in the shopping centre, and doesn't see why he should have to pay again for our own radio that you can't hear half the time anyway. So I think we might be unplugging it and keeping the door open instead, so I can have the joy of listening to local radio instead of 6 Music.

Nuts!

If a performer gets paid Everytime you listen to their song, could I charge a customer every time they look at a watch that I have fitted a battery to or every time they use a key I've cut.

Prs were constantly contacting me a few years back. I played it safe and just stopped listen to any music.

Mike.

All cold calls get the same treatment. But particularly PRS and the other lot

Hello this is so and so from PRS

Me: Sorry to interupt but we do not accept cold calls on this number please remove us from your spamming list immediately !

They will continue with their scripted phone talk so this time you start shouting with

"I havent asked for a phone call therefore you are spamming and harassing me, you have no appointment to ring and you are not a customer, remove my number from your database I do not require anything you are selling and you are clogging up my business line which is for customers only"

Above is a true story from several years ago - we were getting 2 calls a day finally after doing the above they took us off the spamming list, although I had to repeat the same message for at least 2 weeks until they complied 

Funny old thing, just had a call from the PRS. Told me they were recording, asked me if I played music, asked them can they hear any above the roar of my machines. Told them It was a workshop and pointless playing music when I could not hear it. We shall see....

I got a call a couple of weeks back from the PRS, i said i had a Radio in the staff room that i listened to on my breaks. They asked if anyone else listened to it and i said sometimes my other colleague would listen to it.

At that point he said i owed them approx £280 + vat.

I told him that i would NOT pay and he could ram his bill up his arse then put the phone down. He rang back apologising for getting cut off, i laughed

aand again told him to ram any bill up his arse. But 2 days later a bill arrived.

I rang and spoke to someone else who agreed with me that it was personal use only and i should not have recieved a bill in the first place.

Luckily i wrote the first guys name down and have reported him.

BASTARDS all of them.

TV licensing have sent me a couple of letters recently lol

I get them from T.V. licensing as well, I am expected to fill a form in, pay for a postage stamp, send them information so they can keep their records up to date. They threaten me with court action if I don't co-operate. It never happens.  

This PPL/PRS company is a joke...

I had a call a few years back, and told them I wasn't interested in anything they said or payments they demanded, but they insisted on mailing an invoice and many reminds, all of which I ignored and it all went quiet.

Then a year later they contacted me to renew my contract, Humm I say, What contract, the PPL contract they say, I tell them that a renewal is for something that exists, I have no contract with you and good bye.

Few weeks ago I get a call from them again, Because I have a radio in the workshop area we require this license and email an Invoice for £156.00, and then a reminder to pay

I inform them that I have no intention of paying it and they will be waiting a very long time...

A week later I receive persistent emails from a company Oriel Collections Limited http://orielcollections.co.uk/ and all corespondents from them are being ignored.

These scammers will not get a penny from me.

I had a call a few years back, and told them I wasn't interested in anything they said or payments they demanded, but they insisted on mailing an invoice and many reminds, all of which I ignored and it all went quiet.

Then a year later they contacted me to renew my contract, Humm I say, What contract, the PPL contract they say, I tell them that a renewal is for something that exists, I have no contract with you and good bye.

Few weeks ago I get a call from them again, Because I have a radio in the workshop area we require this license and email an Invoice for £156.00, and then a reminder to pay

I inform them that I have no intention of paying it and they will be waiting a very long time...

A week later I receive persistent emails from a company Oriel Collections Limited http://orielcollections.co.uk/ and all corespondents from them are being ignored.

We have 'finally' got shot of them, I have stated IN WRITING that we have no radio anymore - just in our kitchen away from the customer earshot and it seems to have got rid of them, they kept chasing me even calling into the shop!

Monday to Friday it's on low volume, Saturday turned up a bit, but as my shop is only the size of Auto wizard's toilet it has been quite a game, they are bastards to deal with, and when they finally get you then the game really starts as the second company will go for you

The mistake you made is you did pay their demand in the first place...

They walked into the shop with music playing in background?

When could I justify not paying?

at least I am not now - but they still came in to make sure

What’s the latest situation on all this? Do you still need multiple licenses? I’m wondering if getting a radio is worth the cost and hassle for the amount of time I’ll actually be able to hear it

Personal dab radio with one earphone in always hear the customer & even when machines are on with ear defenders still can hear the radio & not filling the likes of cliff Richards pockets because let's face it half the music on the radio is shite!

And so it continues................

PPL are still pursuing payment of £119 from me since 2011,

This outstanding amount has been passed to debt recovery companies Oriel Collections and MIL Collections numerous times without a win on PPL's part.

Let them waste their time and effort, They will not get paid period.

I still have my radio on in the workshop area.