Shoe Repairer Forum

Shoe Repair shops/London

Harry, forgot about you. they seem to be interested in history as well and as hugh isnt there to look at ( :lol: ) can you suggest some places (less obvious) for them? i know there are still bits of the original wall and stuff like that but maybe they might be interested in the less documented?

Hardly an interest in histroy, and nothing that anybody with half a brain wouldn't pickup if they had spent enough time in any one area.. In any event, the historic city churches are a good to seek out because, you often have to go round the back streets and alley ways getting to see forgotten London. That's why there are so many film crews in the City at weekends, saves them a fortune in period film sets.

I mentioned the London Walks company in the dutch cobblers thread about coming to london, they do a number of city walks at a cheap price. museum of london is free and open at weekends, there are loads of chunks of old london wall around there if thats what they want. There's another lump of it down by the Tower of London.

To get the most out of the time they have its best to have some kind of structure to the tour. the guy in the links below has put together some kind of DIY tour. His chosen sites are first class.

http://www.londontourist.org/city%20walk%20one.html

http://www.londontourist.org/citywalk2IMG.html

They want to blitz the other half :twisted:

carry on!

Hibs, I am not your church going type either... but surely you are not suggesting we demolish the other half of these historic Wren / Hawksmoor masterpieces after the lufftwaffa tried their hardest?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest supperman

so far, i haven't a chance to travel to London ,England city.but i heard people talk about London very much.they said that London with frog, romantic sight, especially in the morning.This place is a trading center.

Have you seen the old man

In the closed-down market

Kicking up the paper,

with his worn out shoes?

In his eyes you see no pride

And held loosely at his side

Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news

So how can you tell me you're lonely,

And say for you that the sun don't shine?

Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London

I'll show you something to make you change your mind

so far, i haven't a chance to travel to London ,England city.but i heard people talk about London very much.they said that London with frog, romantic sight, especially in the morning.This place is a trading center.

supperman, london have no frogs, they eat them all. :shock:

hahahahaha only when the rugby is on....

not much F-og these days. just a load of hazy car fumes on a sunny morning.

supperman, london have no frogs, they eat them all. :shock:

hahahahaha only when the rugby is on....

Or from the Omnibuses queing to take tourists from the West End back to their Hotels late at night!!!

Nice to see you two back again........ :D

look who's talking. i reckon you are all 1 and the same :lol:

hahhahaha. yeah, actually I originally thought it was some sort of complex forum initiation test. A bit like that movie Basic Instincts, you never quite know who done it or who is who.

Anyway, I have another laugh for you all, I bought a pair of Samuel Windsors the other day just to see how long they will last if I wear them 3 days a week. I might start a new thread.

Harry

look who's talking. i reckon you are all 1 and the same :lol:

Anyway, I have another laugh for you all, I bought a pair of Samuel Windsors the other day just to see how long they will last if I wear them 3 days a week. I might start a new thread.

Harry

not sure its a problem of how long they last but what happens when they need repairing as they are a nightmare. run a competition to see how long I'll start with 3 months.

when they need repairing as they are a nightmare.
BOLLOCKS [-X Just the same as any other repair. but the shoes might still fall apart afterwards, since the rest of the shoe is not up to the quality of the repair materials.

Lee

not sure its a problem of how long they last but what happens when they need repairing as they are a nightmare. run a competition to see how long I'll start with 3 months.

yeah well I am not holding my breath...

I sometimes get this one of those thin and neat stick on soles put on these shoes for every day use. If I put stick on soles then it might not be a fair test in some ways as I guess the shoe would not go through the stress of being taken apart when mended. Although, if I did put stick on soles and they still fell apart in a few months thenIt might be quite damning (yeah I know there is a fair argument about stick on soles drying out the leather thus causing cracks.. but could this happen in as little as 6 months?)

To be fair I would say the shoes have a very nice cut. I was a bit disappointed that the leather lining does not continue into the toe cap. Just that material crap: can see that flaking first.

I gently warmed in some dubbin on the shoes as I do with all of them when I buy them. However, with these shoes it did not seem to get absorbed? so I am wondering to myself if the shoes have some kind of micro layer of plastic on them?

I might start a new thread.

Harry

You will need more than 1 thread as all the threads ............nah that's libelous :D

Light Stick on soles may just save the day, I'm just in the process of putting a pair on my trusted pair of Cheaneys as the soles are now half way through. doing them myself at home with a limited selection of DIY toolsbut, as they say on TV "dont try this at home".

(more to it than meets the eye)

Anyway, what happened to your Timberland boots?

Leave the soles in their original state,

Also use the shoe trees provided, these will in time distort the length of the upper & you'll notice that the sole & welt stitching will loosen.

You can then test the suppliers warranty.

well trees done nothing but good for my other shoes so I will use them anyway. I usually end up butchering the welt at the very tip of the toe if I dont use a stick on sole but, guess I will have to leave them off for fear of voiding the warranty.

Anyway, what happened to your Timberland boots?

packed away now. I actually took them to pimpson (as another sort of casual test) and they sent them to the mother ship so their best aliens could look at it. I got them back all covered in green slime with a note saying "computer say's No".

I know someone can do them, just need to find the right looking unit that wont destort the less than usual shape of the shoes.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry Tel200 but I contest your theory of Shoe Trees, I've been using 4 different types for the past 25 years and never experienced any of the problems that you state can happen. Using 12 pairs at the moment, 2 pairs of which were supplied by Church's 12 years ago.
But Hugh you are not using them in a pair of poor quality Sammies

I expect their use in other brands.

The rate that I am wearing out the soles on these things I dont think i am going to even be able to test the stitching with the original soles befor i have to get them resoled.. I used them on four days. Four full days spread over a week and a half with at least one days rest in between. Just four days and I can already see the welt getting damaged around the toe cap because the sole has worn away.

If I wear these shoes another 5-10 times then the welt will need to be replaced too..

I'll have to take drastic action to give the uppers a fair test with the shoes in their original state..... on go the stick on soles i think.. :(

Harry