Shoe Repairer Forum

number plate making

Just bought myself a number plate making machine, can any advise me where I can buy the acrylic plates front and back, spare letters etc, I know I have to register with dvla, the machine I have has a roller on one end so any one who has this machine will know the one I have, any idea where I can get a user manual

thanks

I use jepsons if you register with dvla they will deal with you.it sounds like you have a older type press.they will give you a new thermal printer to print the letters direct on to the reflective and a brand new roller to press the acrylic on free of charge for as long as you keep buying their materials.if you want thwy will give you a laptop and a laser printer to print the plates it does two tone letters aswell as black for £5 per week or just the merlin thermal black printer free of charge.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just signed up with Jepsons for my Number plate supplys and had an interesting conversation regarding new M.O.T. regs coming in April.

From 26th April Mot stations will fail a vehicle if for any reason your number plate is damaged or defaced in even the slightest way.

What a money making descision by VOSA to help us poor number plate makers!!!

Regards

Chris. L [-o<

Hi All,

I have just signed up with Jepsons for my Number plate supplys and had an interesting conversation regarding new M.O.T. regs coming in April.

From 26th April Mot stations will fail a vehicle if for any reason your number plate is damaged or defaced in even the slightest way.

Regards

Chris. L [-o<

that already happens in my area but when they fail the car the mot station normaly gets the sale for the plate not me.

craig

Hi All,

Regards

Chris. L [-o<

AFAIK, you will no longer be able to tart up your number plate with football logo's, etc as it contravenes one of the EU rules. Te only thing you can display on a No. plate is a flag of country of origin as well as the the Reg no.

Failure to comply could result in 3 points and a £60 fine!

seems we could all do plates very profit making and without too much outlay...

Number plates, test the water method.

1. register as a number plate supplier. (one of 40.00 fee)

2. open an account with your local motor factor (most towns have a handful of these!)

3. record the order & keep a record as per the number plate suppliers sales record guide lines

The only outlay needed is to register as a number plate supplier, then its a simple case of filling out a form at the counter & making a phone call. in my case it takes my supplier typically about an hour to get the plates to me as they are put on the next van. this is a great way to test the water & gauge demand before making any investment. incidentally I used to make plates in house but when the new regulations came out a couple of years ago ditched the system I was using because my local factors could give a better finish so I now make a single phone call & make about 10.00 per pair.

Lee