Shoe Repairer Forum

top pieces

contuary to media news items - i know of a shoe repairer not doing so well, and in respect - i cant say his name or whereabouts, so dont ask!

but when i was with him not long ago we talked about repairs and even though he was 'busier than normal' was sruggling with the bills.

looking at his stock i saw he was using CUT top pieces, not sheeting as i use, we talked about price - his cut heels were costing for 30 pairs more than i pay for a sheet and with the sheet i cut loads more!- now the arguments come at this point,, wear, grip, etc; the material is usually the same, there are many to choose from, if you have a fixation for 'high' quality then but one of the top end materials - BUT buy a sheet and cut your own!! your throwing away good money if using cut top pieces!

and i honestly can say any repairer using 'cut' top pieces is throwing good money away - but if your struggling with high rent/rates 1st try and keep your overheads as low as possible, dont listen to that nice sales rep - he wants a bonus - you need to get your own bonus - cut your own!

if you buy 10 sheets at a time they reduce the price even further - so it will keep you all afloat after your next rent review!

I've never given it any thought! :shock: you mean I could be saving money!

How many pairs do you typically get from a sheet?

what sheeting do you recommend?

"roughly" what are the savings?

I've always been aware of sheeting for top pieces but its never crossed my mind to actually buy it! [-(

enlighten me a little more!

Lee

We buy sheeting and we worked it out at about 30% cheaper :D

I have a large steel ruler and now and again i get a sheet and mark out widths of what i'm running short of, deeply score it with a stanley knife, bend it at the score then cut through it fully, a doddle to do.

Buy sheeting, saves loadsa dosh 8)

We get hardly any wastage as we attach the heel to the strip then cut around it, we found if you cut the toppiece out first then you tend to overestimate it and then wastage begins.

Rick.

for years i bought sheets of topy strong, cut into various widths on a ranger then cut to size with shears...

problem was that after a while i developed a RSI in my right arm with the constant snipping the lengths to size.

i changed over to cut heels and for the past 10 years or more have been using them, now i've gone back to sheeting for a while in order try make a bit extra profit while the going is good...

RSI took 2 years to get completely better.... ](*,)

but i'm not too worried about the RSI coming back as we aren't doing anything like amount of the big flat 2.25 or 2.5" ladies heels we used to because the vast proportion of the work is the good old stiletto \:D/

by toofatbyfar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 am

so you are saving 10 pence a pair, whoopee doo, personaly i could not be arsed to cut out every pair of heels, on those busy days you would be wasting time doing it, time is money,, i know someone will say look after the pennies and all that tosh, but cutting out just to save a few pence is not for me, so there

if thats what your happy with i agree 100%

but - if ever your trade starts to drop drastically think again!

or

for the price of a ranger (which i dont know) you would find your business with so much more profit you could invest in perhaps a laser engraving machine with the money you might save over the next three years!

but then thats the real serious side,

i wonder do Timpson cut there own? at there warehouse, then ship them tl the shops? wow they would save a fortune!

i do know that if you have cut top pieces and have staff the security thing is easier to control