Shoe Repairer Forum

singer 29k15

More than likely the Racks and Pinions are so worn that it may not be possible to set the timing.

If not, then as Peter says I doubt if it is the timing that is causing your problems.

You can test by how much free play there is in the shuttle after tking out the bobbin & bobbin carrier.

What synptoms do you have to suspect the timing?

thanks lads,but the machine was working fine (most of the time, as mentioned it did drop some stitches). i just decided to replace the little spring in the shuttle holder as it was a bit worn & by doing so i removed the gears on underside & didn't mark them up or take a picture, so i need how to set the machine up ](*,)

Singer 29K15

when the rack is at its furthest point forward

IMAGE_131.jpg

& the needle has reach is furthest travel towards the bobbin & is about to return, the bobbin should sit here

IMAGE_132.jpg

So that as the needle comes out of the base, the point of the shuttle picks up the stitch.

Lee

• 3 years later...

I stripped down a 29k15 when I was 17. two years later I landed my shop & used it for 20 years. I only changed it because I fancied a new one, not because it was knackered. cracking old machines. the "15" being my favorite.

Good blog, nice machine.

Lee

I was merely stating that it 'may' have issues that 'may' need addressing by means other than cleaning. Most patchers of this age DO have issues, I just thought I would point this out. Nowt doom and gloom here, many have spent hours trying to set up old Singers of this type but nearly always fail because of wear issues :( iif a machine is knackered and worn it needs new parts, not cleaning.

However, this is all relative, as this guy appears to be doing it as a project for pleasure, with little or no interest commercially, good luck to him either way, it will look a nice example when finished :D

Most of the time??....Hate blakes, devils machines. :lol: :lol: But if it's for free I'll clean it and stick it the window next to my Phenix when i get round to restoring that. Send it anyway old son. :smt023 Then if I have a blake all the blake bullies can all shut the feck up and stop picking on me. :lol: :lol:

Most of the time??....Hate blakes, devils machines. :lol: :lol: But if it's for free I'll clean it and stick it the window next to my Phenix when i get round to restoring that. Send it anyway old son. :smt023 Then if I have a blake all the blake bullies can all shut the feck up and stop picking on me. :lol: :lol:

If you already have a Phenix, you have a blake. Be careful with the bow blake offer though Gray, some of them was huuuuuuge

Thank you so much for your interest in my blog. I have taken into account that their maybe a requirement for new parts because the machine was completely seized up when I purchased it. I think it has to be a reasonable consideration with any project that doesn't function properly. I run a small restoration workshop (non-profit) because I was medically retired from the Army. On leaving I have found (much like myself) medically discharged soldiers struggle to find work. So we are making our way without help as we refuse to join the lazy masses. The projects are as much for the fun as about a productive use of time. I can't stress how grateful I am for the attention though and any help will be happly received.

Kindest Regards

Anthony