Shoe Repairer Forum

Very true bkb, but did you get all the rivets in a straight line in the waist :D :D

Brass for competitions every time in my view. But not the large headed ones that seem to be used nowadays, these were primarinly used for the waists of very soft leathers like Dri-Ped Oak.

Large heads will lose marks (in my opinion).Lost heads are better.

Is this not a tad early to be sending work off to be judged?

Send them all to me, I'll judge them.

Despatch to,

Robin of Locksley

c/o The Big Oak

Sherwood forest

Nottingham

England.

• 1 month later...
Guest sarsden_boy

Well then gents,

The competition body has informed the top six entrants that they finished in the top six, but nobody knows the order or where in the top six they have finished.

All will be revealed at the cutting edge exhibition in kettering on the 21st of sept.

Anybody going?????

Guest sarsden_boy

You should, the more that enter the better, i think this year was a record of entrants, dont quote me on that but im nearly sure. around 29 entrys were recived.

I think all repairers should enter and start now for next years comp, little bit at a time then no chunks of time are lost.

I will be there with video camera zooming in on the entries so that I can post all the faults on here :D :D

Bet they all looooooook the blooooooming same again.

No enterprise, no initiative, no balls. Just follow the main stream and do the same year after year.

They may be as near perfect as possible but they aint alf boring. :(

Guest sarsden_boy

thats the most stunning job ive ever seen, but proves my point also. They wouldnt win or come near winning the JR comp. Although that job couldnt get any better, its not in the correct format to win the comp. ???

its not in the correct format to win the comp. ???

Maybe they should have a 'Freestyle' category where you can use any materials and finish you choose. This way you could spend a whole year getting them ready and not worry about having to use a specific make of sole.

wilts, i couldn't have said it better :D

rick.

Wiltshire Cobbler

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 pm

Re: JR COMPETITION

Here's a competition entry from 1950 using 15,000 rivets in varying gauges to make up the picture

the picture of the 1950's winning pair of shoes, were so impressed that one of my staff suggested if they could be on show at the next exhibition.

i agree, if they were on show it would make the place a lot more intresting!

That pair of shoes is not available for display anymore.

I remember them and all the ones Lee photographed very well as those were the ones I had to beat.

Sarsden boy says that they would not win the JR comp but if they were issued with JR soles then they would have won by a mile. I know what went into that job and it was blood sweat and tears, if you think that you can emulate this work then just take a close look at the Heel Breast, very common design and scollops but just try to do it. Then there is the Waist, not a single blemish and dont forget this original sole is stitched on.

Next the patterns on both shoes, note a mirror image, most images were of Alpine resorts, difficult enough to just draw and paint let alone cover with brass rivets. Just try to draw a circle and cover the line in rivets, bet none of you would get it perfect.

I had many photo's of this type of work including my own, many were signed by the person having done the work.

Lent them to a colleague then 6 months later swore he never had them, lost forever A4 size black & white historical masterpieces.

Although it looks fabulous, I don't get it. Its not practical and would be ruined the first time they were worn :? The guy is obviously very talented, weather he is a good repairer is another thing(I Don't Know). Hundreds of rivets in a shoe is ridiculous from a practical point of view. I know its just artistry before anyone jumps on me :D :D . But its got no place in a shoe repair competition because at the end of the day its a rubbish repair if thats what your going to call it, To me its just shoe decoration, like a hippy paints watering cans etc. It could have just as easily been done on a piece of wood, Its quality repairs that are being judged. But it is a work of art in the right place.

Carry on............ :-&

You are quite right Uk, it is pure art work and was never intended to be worn by a customer but that does not mean they could not be worn as the repair was not part of the construction but an addition to it.

I doubt if there is anyone still around who could do this work,(obviously I do not include myself ) :D :D everyone works too fast nowadays to be able to switch off for a couple of weeks or months :D

Enjoy your hols UK.