Shoe Repairer Forum

suregrave vrs gravograph

hi i went to trophex on monday and decided to purchase a gravograph is 400 volume. but have since had surgrave on the phone offering me a rotation s and a wizard machine so 2 machines for 2k less than the one machine. i know gravograph sponsor this section but some non biast advice would be greatly apreciated.

thanks

Craig

Guest AndrewJ

Hi Craig

I won't comment directly on the machines you are looking at as I have not used them in practice. I have used Suregrave though.

I do have a couple of Suregrave 2516i machines and have found these to be great workhorses. Until recently I also had a Wizzard (the version you were probably offered) which is fine for drag engraving and rotary engraving in plastics/ brass / aluminium etc.

Suregrave have supported me well in the past and I would recommed them as a company. I also buy some sheet material from them and they have always been an excellent supplier to me.

Where I have had any machine problems, they have been dealt with v. quickly.

Surgrave also have a 3 year warranty on machines which is a big plus.

They are certainly not as big a company as Gravograph. You are likely to encounter far more Gravogaph users in this business. Gravograph have a far larger catalogue of machine accessories (I have used them on numerous occassions when I needed a specific accessories that Suregrave simply did not carry). Any encounter I have had with Gravograph - they came across as very professional / organised etc.

Check to see what software you have been offered as part of your deal. SuperPro6 is the basic software, and Surelab Pro is the more advanced package. Basically SurelabPro is a supplier packaged version of Cadlinks Engravelab which I am big fan of. Make sure you take this into account in any pricing as Surelab doesnt come cheap (if of course you need it)

Just my 2 cents

Cant answer for the suregrave but you are going to find lots of is400 fans on here and for good reason it is a very reliable machine with good software, the only thing i would say is make sure you get the right computer to go with it or better still get one supplied with it. you have to stay with xp and depending on software may need a parallel port.

Guest Iain Cheall

Never really looked at the suregrave machines I use a 400 volume it works perfectly (apart from the operator) great back up from gravo and it looks the part to.

When I have walked past suregraves stand at shows, one of the machines looks like it was knocked up with a mecano set. I am sure it works fine but I know which I would have to look at all day.

Guest AndrewJ

When I have walked past suregraves stand at shows, one of the machines looks like it was knocked up with a mecano set. I am sure it works fine but I know which I would have to look at all day.

I would agree that the Gravo machines look a little nicer and are very well built. The Suregrave machines look a little more 'industrial' while your bank account will look better!. Not as many parts are covered etc, however this does make for easy access to everything. One of the Suregrave 'mechano' machines I have deep engraves stainless steel all day every day without any problems.

If you are serious about considering the Suregrave offer, I personally would seek out 2 or 3 testimonials of customers who use the Rotation S. Ask the company for some details. Visit the user if possible.

Find out what features it may be lacking, or have that the Gravo machine has.

If you are going to be doing a lot of drag engraving, check out the engraving speeds possible on the competing machines. This can have a big impact on your engraving potential. I have found Gravo machines to be slow in comparison to some of the other manufacturers when comparing like for like machines. This may not be a factor important to you though.

I have used Gravograph machines for years. They have the whole package.

The build quality of there machines are second to non, the back up is second to non, the software is brilliant.

I would take the 400 volume all day.

For the record I was offered two surgrave machines some time ago for almost the cost of a 400 volume.

I went with the volume and wouldn't go back now, no way.

I have brought another machine about 1 hour ago, thats my sixth gravograph machine.

Stick with the 400 :wink:

thanks guys for all the comments some good long and informative replies thanks for taking time out of your busy days for the help. it looks like we have now got an entry date for my new shop and instead off being feb it has been delayed till june. So plenty off time now to decide on which machines. i have been offered a full days demonstration on both machines from suregrave at my premises so i think i will still take them up on that late next month.But i have found both companies very helpfull but then so they should be i am spending a fare few bob.I do agree the gravo machines look much better.but looks aint everything its the look and speed of the finished job the customer is interested.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this thread because I find myself asking the same question. I am torn between the Rotaion S and the M40G.

I very rarely do multiples of any item but do plenty of individual items, especially those bits we have sold in the shop, I've been using an old pantograph but want to upgrade so I can do glass and so it doesn't take me all morming to do the reams of script that my customers seem to want put onto the back of a postage stamp sized item!

forget the m40g not good enough in my opinion (ive had one and returned it)

Uk is right is200tx is the machine to go for.

carry on!

In defence of the M40G - the laser marker makes for very quick job measuring and easy set up. It's capabable for most jobs that i have encountered although i really dont stretch its potential and still have much to learn... it may not be the machine of choice for those that do very large quantities or more involved levels of engraving, but i for one am more than happy with it despite the meagre software that i run.

However a bargain IS200TX is not to be sniffed at, as the M40G is pricey....

if you could pick a TX up from a reliable source and at a good price, i would go down that route as it is obviously a popular machine with many experienced forum users.

However a bargain IS200TX is not to be sniffed at, as the M40G is pricey....

if you could pick a TX up from a reliable source and at a good price, i would go down that route as it is obviously a popular machine with many experienced forum users.

I have a brand new one, never been used, at a good price.

• 1 month later...