Shoe Repairer Forum

London's best?

Guest wob

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's been loads of replies but i thought id get an email notification so didnt look until now... wow, all i meant by best deal was off the back of two guys jokingly fighting over who was the better craftsman and i jokingly thought that i assume they are both great at what they do and the only way to really win the fight is to undercut on price!

my main concern is getting these repaired properly, that's why i came on here in the first place! i have no idea if the shoe repair place in clapahm junction train station near me is any better or worse than anywhere else but wanted to find out!

i also had no idea how much this sort of thing should cost and i didnt want to be ripped off by paying more than i needed to when i could've got the job done at half the price somewhere else... i had no idea that i tenner was cheap or that £35 was about right... how would i?

i got a £25 refund from the shop i bought these shoes (they are less than a year old) in order to get repairs done, so that was the figure i had in my head.. but if it costs more than that then so be it...

i dont want to have to do this again anytime soon. the soles havent worn through. all im looking for is to get rid of the sqeak and not have it come back in another year. ive never had this in a pair of boots before so why these?

i want to have soles that i like and arent too chunky (im walking around London streets and not doing combat) but still in keeping with the style of the boot.

would love to get an email of the London based guy who you suggested and also get an opinion on two London cobblers ive been told are apparently good. one is MAYFAIR COBBLERS on whitehorse street and the other is THE COBBLERS NEST on borough high street.

the cost of postage is still an issue but might not be when i get some london priced quotes as it may work out cheaper to post!

i am looking for a good deal, of course i am! who isnt? im looking for the best price i can for the repairs to be done properly and the best they can. simple as that.

thanks all..

Hey Wob, Sounds like your looking for a top class job with top class materials on a tin pot budget :lol: :lol:

Remember: Good work is not cheap, Cheap work is not good.

I've just had a new customer collect his Leather sole and heel £49.50, He was a little shocked at the price, I told him we only use the very best materials and top class craftsmanship. He examined his shoes (Barkers)and conceded that it was the best job he ever had done. Which was very pleasing for us as that is what we built our reputation on.

I also realise there is a market for the thrifty, which some in the trade use to there advantage, Cheap materials, shoddy workmanship, I.E Cheap Stick on Soles when the whole lot needs stripping off. Don't be blinded by a cheap price tag.

Most of the guys on here will know were I'm coming from.

I know which market I'm in.............Which market are you in!!!!!!! :smt090

You may not need to have them re-soled, providing that the original can be removed without damage, particulary by heat as heat will destroy the properties within the Rubber. If this can be done locally using solvent then you may only have to pay between £5 & £20 and as it's London based my guess would be nearer the £20 than the £5.

im in the market for my boots to be repaired very well. so they dont squeek ever again and the soles last at least 3 or 4 years without being worn through or falling off!

im also in the market not to be over charged or ripped off and not to pay so much that i might as well go and buy another pair of these boots new!

(my worry with that is worry with that is, will a new pair develop the same thing eventually? or have i just been unlucky with this pair?)

im looking for someone who is going to repair them properly and not just give me a cheap fix that wont last. ill pay whatever a fair price is for that. and ill pay more if you can give me a g'tee that they'll last!

if i wanted this cheaply done. id have gone to the first place i saw. i want this done well so am asking on here how much it'll cost to do that and where i can go near me to get it done.

i didnt mean to upset anyone, and i dont think it's wrong for me to try and get the best price i can. i do that with everything else so why not this?

As I have said wob, you do not have to have them repaired to cure a squeak, just the sole removed and replaced if the sole is in an OK condition.

If it is on the way out then it needs replacing and a written guarantee for the sqeak removed and a fair amount of wear. What you pay will depend in part on the quality of the rubber. A very good manufacturer for those type of units is "Vibram" but have to tried to contact the manufacturer for a recommended repairer?

Is there logo on the bottom of the soles?

What is the name of the manufacturer of the boot?

The answer to these 2 questions may enable us to help in a more positive way.

the boots are less than a year old and there isnt much wear at all, just a bit around the ball of the foot. the boots are made by a company called BIKKEMBERG, the tread on the sole spells out that name and there is nothing else written on the sole.

Bikkemberg is a brand name for a clothing designer and as such not a manfacturer of the sole units, these will be made up under licence to their design and specification.

My bet would be that these units are a moulded or cemented construction with the purpose of wear them out and purchase a new pair. It may as I suspect, be impossible to obtain a replcement unit of the same design and edgw mouldings.

Therfore to enable a repair to take place the pattern on the unit will have to be ground off and a sustitute sole put on in the place attatched by means of adhesive.

This is more compicated than it sounds as what you have may not be pure rubber but synthetic such as Polyurethane, PVC, Thermoplastic Rubber or Thermoplastic Polyurethane.

Sticking to these substances can be difficult unless you choose a repairer conversant in the use of adhesives for these substances.

Wob, You haven't upset anyone.

The boots are in dire need of a new pair of units. you don't need anyone to tell you that. Even Hugh if he wipes his monitor off :lol:

You pay someone to do a good job or you pay someone to do a bad job, the good job won't be cheap.

The choice is yours if they are worth it or not.

If I am not mistaken the units are rubber. There is a middle sole which is outsole stitched to either a flanged upper or they are welted, but flanged I would say.

The repair is easy to a competant repairer. A nice pair of Vibram comando units, along with checking the stitching. About £40 and you've got a sound pair of boots that I would guarentee for 12 months, but would expect them to go on for far longer depending on the type of usage.

What ya gunna do wob :twisted:

The boots need resoling, i can't see the point in stripping those units off and putting them back on again just to cure the squeek, you my aswell replace them, they have no tread left in the middle anyway

the section in that picture looks like its worn down more than it has.. in that when they were new there wasnt much more tread at that point in the sole.. i always thought it was odd that they were more like a dress shoe at the ball of the foot but i guess these were made for fashion purposes and not to actually be any good at gripping onto anything!

so we're talking about £40. thats more than i wanted to spend but if thats how much it costs then so be it. the shoes cost me £90 (reduced from £180) and ive had them less than a year.. was expecting more out of the before this kind of work was needed so a little miffed but that's nobody here's fault!

ok - so who's got an email or a website for the london based guy mentioned earlier? let's see how much those london prices are before using the dreaded royal mail!

anyone got any links to new units options? i want something a bit more subtle than builders boots and i always like a pair of boots good and worn in... want to stear clear of the really chunky option i think...

If I am not mistaken the units are rubber. There is a middle sole which is outsole stitched to either a flanged upper or they are welted, but flanged I would say.

The repair is easy to a competant repairer. A nice pair of Vibram comando units, along with checking the stitching. About £40 and you've got a sound pair of boots that I would guarentee for 12 months, but would expect them to go on for far longer depending on the type of usage.

What ya gunna do wob :twisted:

i know the units are going to wear out sooner or later but would you g'tee the squeak doesn't return ever?

Yeah :roll: if you like, I mean who can say they will never squeak............."Ever" , its a ridiculous statement

I hope you never have to make an important decision in your life :lol: :lol:

i was assuming the squeak is caused by a fault in the design or manufacturing process and that's what would be fixed. ive never had any other pair of shoes squeak so was thinking if the reason for this squeak was fixed then there's no reason why it should return... im still not sure why these shoes have decided to squeak but others havent...

its very annoying as im the only reason im not wearing these boots is because i can be heard coming a mile away... these are the boots peter sellars would have if he were in a cat burglar movie!

i just dont want to spend the money fixing them and have them start squeaking again in a year from now. if there's some reason that these particular boots are more likely to have the squeak return than others then id rather just go get a new pair! does that make sense?

its very annoying as im the only reason im not wearing these boots is because i can be heard coming a mile away...

If your going to bring them to my place could you wear em.......so I can lock up and go home when I hear you coming.

of course! but what you don't know is if i walk on the heels there is no squeak so i can sneak, slowly, uncomfortably and looking like an idiot but a quiet idiot!

the recommendation of mayfair cobblers is a good one. Joe there has worked in trade for many years, currently he repairs jimmy choos custom shoes (has touched up jennifer anistons legs and got a bottle of wine for it).

he hs also worked in a repair workshop in borough market doing army and fire boots including the jack boots for the household cavalry so has the background but remember where they are when you are quoted a price!

I have just gone back through the threads and I missed the pics of the soles worn out and the heels parting company.

Further to my comments I now confirm that a new unit is the only option, and wob, you wont get a squeak if you walk on the heels as it is the glossy underside of the sole moving over another surface when bending of the sole takes place.

Just go with the repaires that you have been recommended to and get their recommendationon sole unit, but dont forget to tell them you want them to last for 3 to 4 years. not sure you will get any takers though.

Guest Iain Cheall
I have just gone back through the threads and I missed the pics of the soles worn out and the heels parting company.

Further to my comments I now confirm that a new unit is the only option, and wob, you wont get a squeak if you walk on the heels as it is the glossy underside of the sole moving over another surface when bending of the sole takes place.

Just go with the repaires that you have been recommended to and get their recommendationon sole unit, but dont forget to tell them you want them to last for 3 to 4 years. not sure you will get any takers though.

good old hugh he catches up in the end don't he :lol:

thanks for that.

is 3 or 4 years a crazy thing to ask? i have no idea..hence why im here, the pair of boots i had before these, i bought second hand and the original soles on those lasted me 3 years until they wore though.. i was told the uppers on those werent worth saving so moved on.. i know nobody can g'tee 4 years wear but you'd think they'd last that long...

3 MONTHS is all any shoe shop will give you now for a guarantee for wear and tear!

I know it says 12 months on the label but you try getting a new pair off a shoe shop after three months and they will laugh at you!

If you are not hapy with the wear and tear you can ask the shop to send them away,not many shops will send stuff to "SATRA"(or who ever else it is now) because of the expense involved so unless its in that 12 week period after buying the shoes youve no chance.

I sometimes apply this to my repairs!

I too didnt see pics of worn soles :shock:

Carry on!